Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gareth Thomas HIV

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Can’t help thinking that this cheapens him being a maverick for coming out previously etc .

It’s controversial but I thought he was looking to change people’s opinions away from the image of gays carrying on having unsafe promiscuous sex .

Be interesting how he tackles this . Whether goes for the safe sex message or ignores that just goes for the HIV message

The safe sex message surely an opportunity for him to promote this majorly
I think you have actually just cheapened yourself.

People contract cancer by smoking. People contract liver disease by drinking.

Seems like you might be judging him on something. Only you yourself will truly know the reason for your post. So I won't judge you because I really couldn't with any certainty know the reason behind your post.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
He was outed by the press so he had no choice to reveal his HIV status.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

He was blackmailed, and also door-stepped by the press, apparently. There’s some nasty people out there.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

He should have let them print it and then sued them.

I am absolutely 100% Certain that the Courts would have ruled that it was not in the "Public Interest " to have access to someone's medical records

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Exactly diabetes is more of a threat to human life than HIV is in this day and age. A person with HIV will only need one tablet a day to live a healthy normal life and there is also rumoured to be a cure for HIV but it would bankrupt the drug companies who provide the current medication to people with HIV. So hopefully this will soon be available and rid the earth of HIV.
I think there are many famous people carrying HIV but it doesn't matter anymore as its no different to a person who has a bunion on his toe. Our Brighton MP has HIV and he does a great job, Gareth coming out with the fact he has HIV is a positive and hopefully help people to understand that there is no need to fear or discriminate against HIV.

Sorry our Brighton MP, who’s that then?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
He should have let them print it and then sued them.

I am absolutely 100% Certain that the Courts would have ruled that it was not in the "Public Interest " to have access to someone's medical records

On the flip-side, surely he can sue them now. Named and shamed for what they've done to him.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
This really shows how far the human race has progressed in this enlightened age. That is not at all. The fact that someones medical status is something people blackmail other people over is appalling. Its also worrying that the difference between AIDS and HIV is still not understood by many. How many "Exclusive" stories are actually the result of the papers saying "We know this about you, we are going to publish anyway, but give us the exclusive and will will do it as a positive story, if not it will have an entirely different spin on it".

Stephen Gately from Boyzone was blackmailed in this way, and according to his band member Shane Lynch it nearly destroyed him. The press that did that were total filth, nothing has changed it seems

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
On the flip-side, surely he can sue them now. Named and shamed for what they've done to him.

His case against them isn't as strong now - That's solely because it would be a bit more difficult for him to support the fact that he put the information out to the Press under duress. I might and many others may believe this to be the case but it is just a bit more difficult to support in Court

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Exactly diabetes is more of a threat to human life than HIV is in this day and age. A person with HIV will only need one tablet a day to live a healthy normal life and there is also rumoured to be a cure for HIV but it would bankrupt the drug companies who provide the current medication to people with HIV. So hopefully this will soon be available and rid the earth of HIV.
I think there are many famous people carrying HIV but it doesn't matter anymore as its no different to a person who has a bunion on his toe. Our Brighton MP has HIV and he does a great job, Gareth coming out with the fact he has HIV is a positive and hopefully help people to understand that there is no need to fear or discriminate against HIV.

Is that true - a cure for HIV but not available? Can't believe any pharmaceutical company would be so heavily reliant on income from just one sector of the drugs market to position themselves in this way ... [but no evidence to challenge]

I'm type 1 diabetic - if I had to choose, I'd rather have this than HIV simply because I can talk openly about it without invoking any stereotypical stigma. I need regular insulin to stay alive, is it dangerous? I've managed for 25 years,so I guess, like lots of things, if you respect it and follow the rules, you can live with it ....

In 2013 I went to Kenya and Uganda to do charity work for an HIV/AIDS educational charity - there were orphaned kids dying [born from HIV from infected mothers] because the drugs to keep them alive [not a cure] were unavailable [cost prohibitive mainly].

This period of my life was a profound and humbling semester in the university of life ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here