Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proms. Last night.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Strange really. Or perhaps not.

I thought the Proms was a celebration of all things that are good about being British. One is that you can take a rainbow flag and celebrate how grown up our culture is now- and no-one will be bothered by it.

Well, perhaps, the odd person. But, then again, this will likely be the same person with intransigent views on issues such as race, gender etc. You know, all things roll into one.

What do we have here. Yeah....

A rainbow flag at the Proms ? Great to be British. Makes me proud. How apt...

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Absolutely love Last Night of the Proms. It’s everything that I love about this eccentric and quirky country that we live in and ALL of the crazy people that live in it.
I’ve recorded and will make sure that I sit and watch again with my boys tomorrow evening (well at least the last 30 minutes, which let’s be honest, is the bit we all love)

:albion2:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fed up of the politicising and hijacking by the homosexual agenda. Fab brit night being ruined. Keep politics and sexuality OUT of it!
FFS! I'm with you mate. We voted LEAVE in 2016. Why are there still homosexuals in Britain?
It's a "brit" evening and when we joined the EEC I was not told we would be taking in so many homosexuals. Somebody call somebody.

Scary times for people like you, I should imagine.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside, there are many, many wonderful things about the Prom season. The Last Night is the least of them. Same sort of commoners that queue at Wimbledon. All very regata.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Without quoting anyone on this thread, you've made me have a think about why anyone would be cross about the Last Night being 'ruined' with rainbow and EU flags.

If you don't like the music, fair enough, but why would you then be cross about something that you've no interest in?
Perhaps you'd like the tradition to be preserved in amber, free from outside influences; in which case you're wrong, because the reason the Proms in particular exists in the first place is to bring people from all walks of life, at this moment in time, together in a common cause, that of listening to live music.

If you like the music you may feel that the 'tradition' of it is being lost, so then I refer you to my last point.

People never moan about Glastonbury in the same way, but it is exactly the same.

The rainbow 'theme' tonight was a nod toward the soloist who is bi, and who speaks a lot about the importance of inclusivity; she is American, and in this 50th anniversary of Stonewall, I guess it was important for some people to show her she has been heard, to show their support.

Brexit is anti-art, though obviously not consciously; it is about creating borders and restrictions, which is contrary to the purpose and spirit of (not just) the Proms. Hence the plethora of EU flags.

I go to the Proms every year and was there tonight. There were hundreds of people with flags of all kinds, hundreds of the rest of us who didn't. As already posted before me, it was a celebration of everything in the way that British people do - with some pomp, some circumstance, and some silliness. 5000-odd harmless people left tonight feeling very very happy.

It really shouldn't make anyone grumble.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I have nothing against people of any minority or sexual orientation, but have to say that they are cleaning up in the job market here.
On application for employment it asks if you are either indigenous, LGBT, transsexual or female, I can't see what any of this has to do with employment.
Being over 50 years old is no help either, even though I have a Batchelors in engineering and vast knowledge of the building and construction industry at every level.
I left my last position of employment mid July 2018, as I couldn't stand the situation and decided to do self employed handyman/small building works whilst I looked for something else.
What an absolute waste of time that has been, I am a white male heterosexual and over fifty, so I don't stand a chance.
Luckily my new venture is going well, so I am usually busy most of the time, just as well.
Over here now the rules are based on percentages, a percentage of employees have to be female, LGBT, indigenous etc.
A friend of mine is having to close his business down as a direct result of these rules.
He has been a sub contractor for Western Power, the power supply company here, for years and is more than capable of carrying out his contractual obligations as far as doing the work is concerned.
He has lost 98% of his work because he could not fulfill the 'obligations' that these percentages for minorities required.
After explaining to them that he only has 7 employees, including himself and his wife, so was fairly unlikely to tick all of these boxes.
As a result they have pulled the plug on him, pardon the pun and given the works to a contractor who has 700 plus employees who can tick all the minorities requirements needed.
It has gone crazy, gone are the days of employing a person with the capacity to do the job, whatever their allegiances are, it is now just about making up the numbers.
These people can be spotted a mile away, sometimes I have to deal with carrying out repairs on rental properties for landlords, making arrangements with their rental agents.
Dealing with their absolute ignorance on property and building is sometimes harder than doing the job.
I am all for equal opportunities for everyone, plus suitable qualification for the position, but this just making up the numbers is getting ridiculous and must be hitting the profitability of the businesses.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have nothing against people of any minority or sexual orientation, but have to say that they are cleaning up in the job market here.
On application for employment it asks if you are either indigenous, LGBT, transsexual or female, I can't see what any of this has to do with employment.
Being over 50 years old is no help either, even though I have a Batchelors in engineering and vast knowledge of the building and construction industry at every level.
I left my last position of employment mid July 2018, as I couldn't stand the situation and decided to do self employed handyman/small building works whilst I looked for something else.
What an absolute waste of time that has been, I am a white male heterosexual and over fifty, so I don't stand a chance.
Luckily my new venture is going well, so I am usually busy most of the time, just as well.
Over here now the rules are based on percentages, a percentage of employees have to be female, LGBT, indigenous etc.
A friend of mine is having to close his business down as a direct result of these rules.
He has been a sub contractor for Western Power, the power supply company here, for years and is more than capable of carrying out his contractual obligations as far as doing the work is concerned.
He has lost 98% of his work because he could not fulfill the 'obligations' that these percentages for minorities required.
After explaining to them that he only has 7 employees, including himself and his wife, so was fairly unlikely to tick all of these boxes.
As a result they have pulled the plug on him, pardon the pun and given the works to a contractor who has 700 plus employees who can tick all the minorities requirements needed.
It has gone crazy, gone are the days of employing a person with the capacity to do the job, whatever their allegiances are, it is now just about making up the numbers.
These people can be spotted a mile away, sometimes I have to deal with carrying out repairs on rental properties for landlords, making arrangements with their rental agents.
Dealing with their absolute ignorance on property and building is sometimes harder than doing the job.
I am all for equal opportunities for everyone, plus suitable qualification for the position, but this just making up the numbers is getting ridiculous and must be hitting the profitability of the businesses.

Yep, it’s tough when suddenly being a white male doesn’t automatically put one to the front of the queue like it has for two thousand years previous. Gutting to see others being given a break.

However, I am poking the bear a bit and I do see both sides. Unfortunately positive discrimination is required so that the less enlightened might realise these minority types are actually capable of doing a good job and we won’t need PD anymore.
White folks did a lot of the damage ourselves by being such ceaseless wankers for so long.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yep, it’s tough when suddenly being a white male doesn’t automatically put one to the front of the queue like it has for two thousand years previous. Gutting to see others being given a break.

However, I am poking the bear a bit and I do see both sides. Unfortunately positive discrimination is required so that the less enlightened might realise these minority types are actually capable of doing a good job and we won’t need PD anymore.
White folks did a lot of the damage ourselves by being such ceaseless wankers for so long.

Not sure you got the point.
It has nothing to do with being, 'white and should be first in line for jobs'.
It is about being perfectly qualified and suitable for a position, but being overlooked because, 'we need another minority or we face a fine' attitude.
To me 'equal opportunity' should mean 'equal opportunity' not having to make up the denomination numbers.
Quite often after meetings with certain people I have thought, 'how the feck did they get this job', I can now guess how.
I am not racist or anti anything, but am a firm believer of fairness, which has been sadly left behind.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
America has a new version of the monopoly board game that starts the males with 2000 and the females with 2400. When the males pass "Go" they receive 200. When the females pass "Go" they receive 240. Thoughts?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sorry, I don't understand what Aussie employment law has to do with this thread.

And another person then posts something about Monopoly and women.

Both posts portray, or perhaps invite, a negative view of a minority group. Neither are about situations in the UK.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Anyway, back to the Proms.
Do they still only charge a fiver for a lot of the concerts that aren't'Last night of the Proms'
I always thought that was a terrific idea to get more "ordinary" people to go to live classical music

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not sure you got the point.
It has nothing to do with being, 'white and should be first in line for jobs'.
It is about being perfectly qualified and suitable for a position, but being overlooked because, 'we need another minority or we face a fine' attitude.
To me 'equal opportunity' should mean 'equal opportunity' not having to make up the denomination numbers.
Quite often after meetings with certain people I have thought, 'how the feck did they get this job', I can now guess how.
I am not racist or anti anything, but am a firm believer of fairness, which has been sadly left behind.

No, I get it. They’re not attempting equal opportunity. They are deliberately going for positive discrimination. For a reason.
And don’t fret, you’ll likely find a black or Asian person will be qualified with a good level of education and appropriate skill set too. They’re not capturing them in nets on the plains of the Serengeti.

Quite what that has to do with The Proms though is puzzling. Aussies, bloody obsessed with immigrants and minorities.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fed up of the politicising and hijacking by the homosexual agenda. Fab brit night being ruined. Keep politics and sexuality OUT of it!

Does it threaten your views of the world somehow? What a pity.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Loved the trolling of the brexshiteers. Flags and right-onism would have got under their skin. They even added European Blue to the lighting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Loved the trolling of the brexshiteers. Flags and right-onism would have got under their skin. They even added European Blue to the lighting.

These are people who only know the last night and are completely ignorant of the multi culture nature of the wider Proms.
The OP is a notorious ignoramus and I suspect this thread is a fishing trip. He’s a bit of an odd person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here