Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shemima Begum being secretly flown to UK - Cherie Blair representing!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Be surprised if we didn't have special forces there with the Yanks, and obviously the RAF have been heavily involved, but yeah hardly on the Guy Fawkes level of treason !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Treason would be such a hypocritical charge. It would be more a charge of fighting against government policy which changes with the wind.

The UK government are familiar with supporting/funding groups which engage in nefarious activity- and changing sides where appropriate. The support of some groups is an endorsement of those activities and, if Begum has not actually killed anyone personally, just as bad.

This is not defend the actions of those who went to join IS. There is no justification for it. But to start quoting 'treason' leads to suggesting that not unquestionably supporting UK policy is treacherous. There are wider implications in that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Treason would be such a hypocritical charge. It would be more a charge of fighting against government policy which changes with the wind.

The UK government are familiar with supporting/funding groups which engage in nefarious activity- and changing sides where appropriate. The support of some groups is an endorsement of those activities and, if Begum has not actually killed anyone personally, just as bad.

This is not defend the actions of those who went to join IS. There is no justification for it. But to start quoting 'treason' leads to suggesting that not unquestionably supporting UK policy is treacherous. There are wider implications in that.

Ridiculous argument. 'Not unquestionably supporting UK policy'. There was a huge march against the foolish war Blair and Bush unleashed, no-one was suggesting any of those people were committing treason. Going off to support a revolutionary movement that implicitly wishes to destroy the Western way of life and all of its freedoms is far removed from 'not unquestionably supporting UK policy'.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

I agree with a lot of that. But IS stated aims are/were the destruction of the Western way of life as we know it and the introduction of Sharia Law. Not specifically a campaign against any government, so in that sense you could argue being part of that group means you were fighting against Britain, the country, rather than against the Government in particular.

That said personally I can't see that charge sticking. Being a member of a proscribed terrorist organisation would be more likely. She has admitted to that, so pretty much open and shut case. Not really sure what the appropriate punishment for that should be though

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ridiculous argument. 'Not unquestionably supporting UK policy'. There was a huge march against the foolish war Blair and Bush unleashed, no-one was suggesting any of those people were committing treason. Going off to support a revolutionary movement that implicitly wishes to destroy the Western way of life and all of its freedoms is far removed from 'not unquestionably supporting UK policy'.

Although the some governments are not adverse to support such groups and regimes when it suits their needs.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I agree with a lot of that. But IS stated aims are/were the destruction of the Western way of life as we know it and the introduction of Sharia Law. Not specifically a campaign against any government, so in that sense you could argue being part of that group means you were fighting against Britain, the country, rather than against the Government in particular.

That said personally I can't see that charge sticking. Being a member of a proscribed terrorist organisation would be more likely. She has admitted to that, so pretty much open and shut case. Not really sure what the appropriate punishment for that should be though

Yes, being a member of IS is an affront to any value and standard. I agree.

But I'm tired of the endless delineation of goodies and baddies. Simply because it is fluid and changeable. The Saudi regime is one such example. Hard line religious law and questionable foreign policy that runs against our values. Yet they are still kept onside.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html

'I've lost my babies. I've lost my friends. I just want to come home': Jihadi bride Shamima Begum says she's a changed woman (complete with lip gloss and nose stud) after moving to a new Syrian camp. So do YOU have any sympathy?

No real sympathy. As long as the law is followed (a bit out of fashion perhaps) and the correct justice is served and nobody else gets hurt, i'll be happy enough

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'd imagine the dry heat of Syria plays havoc with lip health, and a nose stud is a symbol of marriage in Islam.

Or possibly she now has a PR person telling her that if she wants freedom, she has to first win in the tabloid court of popular opinion

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Or possibly she now has a PR person telling her that if she wants freedom, she has to first win in the tabloid court of popular opinion
That is what one inevitably suspects. Get a nose job and a bit on the lip to look westernised, and hey presto, a few cosmetic changes, and you are a changed person. Somehow you just know what the outcome will be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That is what one inevitably suspects. Get a nose job and a bit on the lip to look westernised, and hey presto, a few cosmetic changes, and you are a changed person. Somehow you just know what the outcome will be.

Why would you need to look Westernised to be accepted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is this the longest secret flight in the world?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is this the longest secret flight in the world?

It's a handy little item to bring up periodically if you are a rabid Daily Mail reader, it has the handy double whammy of trying to smear Blair at the same time. Obviously the flight has to be " secret " in order to build a bit more outrage that it is being done over the heads of " ordinary right minded people " . I fully expect further postings/bounces of this on chat forums and FB on a regular basis.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Worth pointing out to the rabid frothing at the mouth string them up no deal leave means leave this is a Christian country I didn't vote for that in the 70s bring back hanging Tommy Robinson isn't a racist bloody Scottish judges enemy of the people we lived through rationing don't surrender brigade....

That one of your pin ups Rees Mogg wants her brought home to face justice.

Confusing isn't it ?

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

It's probably only confusing to you, seeing as you like to pigeonhole people.

I consider myself left wing, but I have to say the left their own worst enemy.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A nice little distraction for all the right wing nutters, when Johnson goes back on his’dead in a ditch’ Brexit. Gotta keep the proles from thinking how they are being screwed over by the real elite in this country.

Another one so arrogant as to write off millions as being below his apparent intellect. I am genuinely not trying to make a political point, but it is fascinating how many folk of left-wing persuasion, who profess to be on the side of the many, can be so snooty and dismissive of others.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Why would you need to look Westernised to be accepted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't be that naïve, surely. She is being advised that to be more readily accepted it would be a good idea to show visually that she looks like the rest of us and not in a fashion that can be associated with radical islam.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can't be that naïve, surely. She is being advised that to be more readily accepted it would be a good idea to show visually that she looks like the rest of us and not in a fashion that can be associated with radical islam.

Bloody hell thats well clever, the public will defo fall for that

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Another one so arrogant as to write off millions as being below his apparent intellect. I am genuinely not trying to make a political point, but it is fascinating how many folk of left-wing persuasion, who profess to be on the side of the many, can be so snooty and dismissive of others.

Don’t be a tw@, I left school at 16, with 3 o levels, hardly an intellectual.
It seems pretty obvious from reading some of the posts on here, that some of those of a right wing persuasion will swallow anything the Sun, Mail , Express , etc put in their grubby little pages.
If you don’t want to be called thick, don’t act thick.
Easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here