Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The 100 best films of the 21st century - The Guardian

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I know it's all subjective and there's films on that list I don't agree with but I'm happy to accept some people are into them, that's cool. But I am really really struggling with the idea that someone thinks "Ted" is the 60th best film of the last 20 years.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was about to get furious at the absence of The Straight Story. A quick check shows it was released in 1999 though so all is well. Kudos to Shoplifters at 15. Well worth a go if you've not seen it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I know it's all subjective and there's films on that list I don't agree with but I'm happy to accept some people are into them, that's cool. But I am really really struggling with the idea that someone thinks "Ted" is the 60th best film of the last 20 years.

Indeed. I suppose they tried to desnootify themselves once or twice - Paddington 2, for instance, although that was a great watch.
I'm peeved to find 12 Years a Slave at number 2 whilst A Separation is number 36. And wait a minute what the assfackery is Lincoln doing in there? I'm going off for an hour-long loud tut for lunch now.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Indeed. I suppose they tried to desnootify themselves once or twice - Paddington 2, for instance, although that was a great watch.
I'm peeved to find 12 Years a Slave at number 2 whilst A Separation is number 36. And wait a minute what the assfackery is Lincoln doing in there? I'm going off for an hour-long loud tut for lunch now.

Like I say there are things I didn't enjoy, but I understand they might be somebody's cup of tea. But if Ted had been made on Monday, I wouldn't even have it the top 60 films of this week.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No Blade Runner 2049?! I was expecting it to be top 10. The most visually stunning film I have ever seen, and a profoundly moving plot.

Spirited Away feels like a token nod to Studio Ghibli, where films like The Tale of Princess Kaguya belong higher.

Also still baffled that it seems to have been widely agreed that The Incredibles is the best Pixar film, with no space for the far, far more emotionally intelligent Inside Out or Up.

All in my subjective opinion, of course.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Not 1 Marvel film in the list, and they have basically owned the 21st century from a box office perspective.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The list is very "the Guardian"

It also got me thinking, if the list was extended to the last 40 years, how many of the ones for last 20 years would have made it on? Not many

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not 1 Marvel film in the list, and they have basically owned the 21st century from a box office perspective.

Doesn't mean they're good films though. Personally I'm sick to the back teeth of superhero films, they bore the shit out of me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

They're mostly boring and shit, to be fair. This isn't about what has sold the most, but what are the best films.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The best thing about that is it's all one one page. Hallelujah. No having to click through 10 pages, or worse one page per movie.

I really don't want to be the pedantic nob who points out the 21st century started on 1st Jan 2001, but I cannot help myself.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Big Hero 6 is the best animation I have been forced to sit through and would trump the Incredibles.

What is the essence of a good film? enjoyable, entertaining, thought provoking, escapism?

or one that gives you the horn?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Open link
Ctrl F
Search for “four lions”
No results.
Close link.
Get on with life.

Funny you should say that.

Earlier in the week Jnr (14), not one for original thought, was chuntering on about not knowing what film to watch.

For reasons unknown I suggested and we watched Four Lions.
Naturally most of the nuance past him by, but by jimminy we were howling with laughter.

In looking for Four Lions, I scrolled passed 127 hours - Next time he chunters, that'll learn him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The usual film critic list where popular films are overlooked (as not seen as being cool)

Or any good. Bit like how Take That and Steps never turn up in the Greatest albums of all time lists.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's several which I would've included in the top 100 since 2000 that aren't in that list.

Downfall
Gangs of New York
Black Hawk Down
War of the Worlds (not an obvious one perhaps, but I watched this again the other night and had forgotten how good it is)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here