Raw?
Blade Runner 2049?

Come on.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Funny you should say that.

Earlier in the week Jnr (14), not one for original thought, was chuntering on about not knowing what film to watch.

For reasons unknown I suggested and we watched Four Lions.
Naturally most of the nuance past him by, but by jimminy we were howling with laughter.

In looking for Four Lions, I scrolled passed 127 hours - Next time he chunters, that'll learn him.

Sign of a brilliant comedy, that. 14 year olds can sit there and piss themselves at Squat Jogs & the bleach/beard bit whilst an adult can get the very clever message of the film... whilst also piss themselves at Squat Jogs & the bleach/beard bit. :lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've a lot of time for Ted, if only because my Parents in Law purchased the film to watch with my 2 kids who were both under 8 thinking it was a family friendly film they could watch whilst babysitting. I wish I'd seen their faces when they realised what they'd done.

Team America is deservedly there. I've never seen acting that good.

https://youtu.be/DIlG9aSMCpg

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Just realised that Old Boy* isn’t in that list.

Pretty makes the whole list null and void. Genuinely think you could argue it’s in the top 100 films of all time.

*The Korean original, not the absolutely **** Spike Lee remake which is genuinely one of the worst films I’ve seen.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Shite, no shape of water, la la land, ready player one, arrival, interstellar, just off the top of my head

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't believe 'Gravity' is anybody's idea of a great film, other than maybe for some of the special effects. Otherwise pure corn.

Wot no Interstellar? No Kick-Ass?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was surprised that none of these featured:
Viceroy's house
Hidden figures
Birth of a Nation
Free state of Jones
The finest hours
In the heart of the sea
Everest
Only the Brave
The raid (2011)

Plus these ones that have already been mentioned:
Master and Commander
Darkest Hour
Imitation Game
Shape of Water

And very surprised this wasn't on there anywhere either
Life of Pi

Yet Anchorman and Gravity make it :facepalm:

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've always felt that Interstellar should have been made as a series and not as a stand alone film, which would allow the story to be expanded and meaning they had the time and opportunity to make use of so much potential material. (spending more time searching possible worlds, etc)

Gravity's inclusion is shocking, it was a typical Hollywood stock material where the main character(s) goes from 1 disaster, reach safety, then almost immediately have to leave to try to reach the next place of safety .... and repeat ad nauseam.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I've always felt that Interstellar should have been made as a series and not as a stand alone film, which would allow the story to be expanded and meaning they had the time and opportunity to make use of so much potential material. (spending more time searching possible worlds, etc)

Gravity's inclusion is shocking, it was a typical Hollywood stock material where the main character(s) goes from 1 disaster, reach safety, then almost immediately have to leave to try to reach the next place of safety .... and repeat ad nauseam.

If memory serves, at one point Sandra Bollocks manages to float into a moving space ship (or similar) and get it under control, possibly in the middle of a debris field to boot.
:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If memory serves, at one point Sandra Bollocks manages to float into a moving space ship (or similar) and get it under control, possibly in the middle of a debris field to boot.
:lolol:

The best thing about Gravity:-

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've seen 55 of them.

A lot of great movies being mentioned in this thread. If they did it the same way as the 100 greatest album list "This list was voted for by a panel of 45 Guardian music writers, who ranked their 20 favourite albums from 2000 to 2019 inclusive. Twenty points were allocated for a No 1 choice, down to one point for No 20. These points were totalled up, resulting in the following ranking. A total of 454 different albums were voted for." it might go some way to explaining the make up of the list. Maybe some of these films people are mentioning were on the critics' lists, but lower down.

Not 1 Marvel film in the list, and they have basically owned the 21st century from a box office perspective.

Which kinda suggests all those people complaining that there's nothing but superhero movies/sequels/franchises might be better served to make a bit of effort, stop relying on the mainstream cinemas, check out the smaller indie cinemas for smaller movies.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
should have been in there ......

Zodiac, Ex Machina, Headhunters, Dead Man's Shoes, A History of Violence, Three Billboards, Napolean Dynamite, Skyfall, Dread, Blade Runner 2049, Let The Right One In, Children of Men, City Of God, Pan's Labyrinth, House of Flying Daggers, Sunshine, Gone Girl, Son of Rambow, Baby Driver, Grizzly Man, In Bruges and Hard To Be A God.

that was off the top of my head earlier today

I'd add

The Big Short and one of the Planet of The Apes films (not the Tim Burton one)

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Memento
Sexy Beast
Children of Men
City of God
Nine Queens
Pans Labyrinth
Up
Wall E
Ratatoille
Black Hawk Down
Sideways
Kill List
The Lives Of Others
The Secrets In Their Eyes
Batman Begins
Let The Right One In
Little Miss Sunshine
The Station Agent
Downfall
Master And Commander
Inception
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Oldboy

yep, I haven't seen a couple of films on that list .... but I want to see them more than The Gaurdian's

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here