Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley match memories

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The 2-2 where we thought we had escaped with a win after the ball was cleaned from almost the back of the net and no goal was awarded. Priceless to see Dyche going redder than normal, only then to concede from a corner and turn 3 points into 1.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The 2-2 where we thought we had escaped with a win after the ball was cleaned from almost the back of the net and no goal was awarded. Priceless to see Dyche going redder than normal, only then to concede from a corner and turn 3 points into 1.

And it was Michael Keane who scored the 93rd minute equaliser. What a punch in the gut that was, when we were seconds away from getting to within 1 point of them at the top of the table. Instead we stayed down in 3rd below them and Boro...and we all saw how that turned out.

Sickener. I have precious few good memories of games with Burnley, same with Boro. We always seem to get done over.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes, as noted below, the 3-1 away win at the start of the season (somehow confused it with the first game some years later against Donny Rovers).

I had a car accident on the M6 on the way up to Burnley (travelling the day before) and wrote off my Golf. Aquaplaned while driving like a gold-plated tit-ninja. Made it to the game, though. Smashing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pkdjLdWq_o

We won the first game (a), then drew our first home game v Coventry, then lost the next twelve games in a row.
WDLLLLLLLLLLLL

So far this season
WDLL

First match back at level 2 (2002 ?) (Division 1) winning 1-3. A great start to a very poor season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We won the first game (a), then drew our first home game v Coventry, then lost the next twelve games in a row.
WDLLLLLLLLLLLL

So far this season
WDLL

That the spirit :lolol:

One of our best players, Trossard is injured just like Zamora was, thought I’d throw that into the mix

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
" I think Smug Eddie was their manager". Your right, but from my seat in WSL behind the dugout, Tindall got them both sent off, in the ear of the fourth official.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know CMS was a massive disappointment, and I know he ballsed up that late chance, but he was brilliant in that game. He gave absolutely everything, and I remember thinking he missed the late chance due to utter exhaustion.

I am not normally a CMS fan, but fair's fair.

Agreed....and then there was the goal he scored up at Burnley with a nice overhead kick

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Remembering last years home game (not fondly)...one of the most blatant handballs ever and yet no penalty given ...Hendricks being the culprit joking about it with other Burnley players as they walked off.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
January 1961 The Albion 3 v 3 Burnley
FA Cup. Burnley were League Champions at the time. One ot the best goals and games at The Goldstone.

One of my first games.Can remember one of our goals was from near half way line and English International Ray Pointer was playing for Burnley

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
And it was Michael Keane who scored the 93rd minute equaliser. What a punch in the gut that was, when we were seconds away from getting to within 1 point of them at the top of the table. Instead we stayed down in 3rd below them and Boro...and we all saw how that turned out.

Sickener. I have precious few good memories of games with Burnley, same with Boro. We always seem to get done over.

Yeah. I remember being bloody gutted coming away from that game. Really sickening

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Boxing Day 1992.
A beautiful left foot screamer from outside the box from Johnny Crumplin in a 3-0 victory. One of my favourite goals.

There was also a 1-1 match in 94 where Codner and Nogan squared up to each other just before Nogan scored

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Burnley match memories

One team play beautiful football but can't score (usually with goalie having game of the season)

plus

Other team play ugly and score with every chance they get (probably Wood)

equals

Brighton v Burnley

I'm not there Saturday but please make it change.:flypig:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not there Saturday but please make it change.:flypig:

I think it just might this time, maybe.

I just can’t see the Woods-Barnes combo (with the long balls that feed them) getting any change out of Duffy, Dunk & 8ft-tall Burn.

We’ll have at least 65% possession and if Murray or Maupay can take their chances, we might send these northern dullards home with nowt.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Burnley are a club that properly grind my gears.

Not many positive results of memories from playing them - and we seem to have done a lot in the last 20 odd years.

The alleged racism from Rodriguez was one thing - but extreme borderline racism from the fans (with monkey chants actually reported but not heard by my good self) and open homophobia at the game at theirs in April 2018 put them in the genuine ‘hate’ category for me.

Vincelot and Barnes sent off within a few mins of each other. 0-1 down with 10 men and CMS fecks up a late equaliser. I think Smug Eddie was their manager

Two goals from Sidwell at Withdean, very late in the game to pull it back to 2-2

Not sure I can actually remember a game that I was at against Burnley that we won, I won’t be there on Saturday so it won’t be me jinxing it

The stamp on Kayal (?) from Barton that was overlooked in the game we drew and CH decided Goldson wasn’t tough enough. That may have been spread over two games, memory shot

Did we start with 12 men ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Ashley Barnes bundling Maty Ryan unceremoniously into the back of his net at the Amex about 3 seconds after coming on as sub. Shouldn't laugh really. However... :lolol:

I remember laughing at the time. And he had got quite a good reception from the Amex when he came on 3 seconds earlier :lolol:

And that 0-1 with 9 men was when I remember the Amex 'coming of age' and feeling like home.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"Give Us A Goal" - a very cold February day in 1978 I think. Slade recorded the above song in front of the North Stand and, if I remember correctly, we then went on to beat Burnley 2-1 afterwards.

https://youtu.be/APi-eh-PK6s

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just checking my fantasy football team and it says that Barnes has a groin injury but has a 75% chance of playing? Obviously harder than Trossard or just a tweak

Taken a gamble and transferred him out to be replaced by Maupay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here