Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I call BS here...
Some clubs are already making the change. Manchester City introduced a stadium-wide returnable cup scheme last month, and estimates it will prevent an average of 29,000 single-use plastic cups being used per match.

They could not serve 29,000 drinks at the Etihad even if they were given all weekend! Worst service of anywhere I have been. Vowed never to complain about the North Stand kiosks after the last time I was there!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Slightly off topic, would I be correct that you cannot take a reusable water bottle into the Amex?

My son got one of these for his birthday and we're off to the ground tomorrow

Capture.JPG

Or is it just flasks?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Slightly off topic, would I be correct that you cannot take a reusable water bottle into the Amex?

My son got one of these for his birthday and we're off to the ground tomorrow

View attachment 115175

Or is it just flasks?

Nope, not allowed, you could have someone's eye out with that!

*What do they do about baby bottles?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how do reusable cups work in a stadium where you arent allowed to take drink onto the terrace?
wish we could stop this stupid argument over single plastics, the better solution is to use and recover recyclable plastics.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why don't they introduce what they do at Sussex, where you can "buy" your re-usable plastic pint glass for a quid, then either take it home with you and bring it back to use again, or just leave it on the concourse for all the kids to collect them up, hand them in and get then a quid back for each one ?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
They had them at Man City. Drink out of it then put it in a specific holder, no deposit and no fuss.

Went to watch Hertha Berlin 2 years ago and you paid 1 euro deposit for your cup/glass thing and returned it at the end. Or you could stick it in a charity bin for them to return and claim the euro back on each one. Pretty cool system I thought.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Why don't they introduce what they do at Sussex, where you can "buy" your re-usable plastic pint glass for a quid, then either take it home with you and bring it back to use again, or just leave it on the concourse for all the kids to collect them up, hand them in and get then a quid back for each one ?

Same thing at Le Mans, you buy a plastic beer 'glass' for a couple euros, keep going back for your top-ups and you also get a discount on drinks while using it.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015

At both Sussex and Lords this year saw kids with 15+ of these pint cups. The ones who start collecting later people feel sorry for and hand over a few more. A few would be Del boys there, good luck to them though and all the 'glasses' are re-used.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
They had them at Man City. Drink out of it then put it in a specific holder, no deposit and no fuss.

Went to watch Hertha Berlin 2 years ago and you paid 1 euro deposit for your cup/glass thing and returned it at the end. Or you could stick it in a charity bin for them to return and claim the euro back on each one. Pretty cool system I thought.

Thought the way this worked at City was very good.
Simple and straightforward.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bit of thread but took picnic including bottle of wine to Wimbledon and Lords. My nephew also enjoyed at Lords making £20 returning beer containers he found

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
At both Sussex and Lords this year saw kids with 15+ of these pint cups. The ones who start collecting later people feel sorry for and hand over a few more. A few would be Del boys there, good luck to them though and all the 'glasses' are re-used.

I inadvertently did this at Twickenham a few years ago - it was the first time I'd ever been at a venue with this system and as I was being corporate entertained (Ooh, get me!) I hadn't bought any drinks. I collected up a load of glasses on our way out and took them to the bar. To my surprise they handed me £27, nicely offsetting the £0 I'd spent on the day so far...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
how do reusable cups work in a stadium where you arent allowed to take drink onto the terrace?.

Exactly the same as they do with usable cups now I guess. Why would anything differ?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Same thing at Le Mans, you buy a plastic beer 'glass' for a couple euros, keep going back for your top-ups and you also get a discount on drinks while using it.

Now I used to watch Le Mans in the old Leon Boille Stadium (where it was plastic cups and Merge Frits all the way).

I had a couple of friends who followed them the year they missed promotion by 1 GD then went down the pan. Then I saw they had reformed and I lost touch with it all, then I saw that they had gained promotion to Ligue 2 again.

So are they in the big new stadium now by the Antaris tram park and ride in the 24 hour circuit, where the French women's team where playing.

If so that's really good news and I may have to go and visit our friends and go to a game. Especially if Tour are still Ligue 2.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Guy I drink with in pub sells water in cardboard. Tried to sell to the Albion but couldn't get it past health and safety!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Compostable ‘plastic’ glasses exist, if sport clubs, or other events really cared, they’d use them. They won’t, because they don’t care. You can buy them for less than the cost of the annual price hike in the concourses, a very quick google search finds them at 7p each if you’re buying 1000, I’m sure if the club bought many tens of thousands of them the cost would drop further, but they still aren’t as cheap as the ones they get at 10 for a penny.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Compostable ‘plastic’ glasses exist, if sport clubs, or other events really cared, they’d use them. They won’t, because they don’t care. You can buy them for less than the cost of the annual price hike in the concourses, a very quick google search finds them at 7p each if you’re buying 1000, I’m sure if the club bought many tens of thousands of them the cost would drop further, but they still aren’t as cheap as the ones they get at 10 for a penny.

They are cheaper but from experience too many have started to compost / stick together, you end up using 1 in 3, and the problem gets worse buying more stock and storing at differing temperatures.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Exactly the same as they do with usable cups now I guess. Why would anything differ?

you dont think it would create a enforcement problem then, everyone going to the terrace with identical cups of unknown content?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here