Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion games that you were at and recall an event that overshadowed the football

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have two standout memories, sadly both were during/immediately after big world shattering events

04 May Albion 2 Wolves 0

HMS Sheffield hit by an Exocet missile. I seem to recall that this may have actually been announced during the game.

11 Sep 2001 - the day of the Twin Towers attack

Withdean Stadium

Albion 0 Southampton 3 in a cup game

Hard to describe the atmosphere at both these games but I very clearly remember both nights, if not anything about the games :down:

Hopefully some of you have some more uplifting memories of big events around an Albion game? Maybe your child/grandchild being born during a game?

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
1985, dont recall the game or opposition we were watching that day, but the Bradford City fire.... that was a shocker.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was it Blackburn home?
Day of Shoreham Air disaster, as during the game the news continued to worsen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was it Blackburn home?
Day of Shoreham Air disaster, as during the game the news continued to worsen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was away for the Shoreham disaster but if I had been going I would likely have been on that stretch of the A27 around the time of the crash. Chilling

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
As above. I will never forget the silence in the ground and the emptiness of the ground
at 3pm both physically and metaphorically of the Shoreham disaster day. Eerie, to say the
least,

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I have two standout memories, sadly both were during/immediately after big world shattering events

04 May Albion 2 Wolves 0

HMS Sheffield hit by an Exocet missile. I seem to recall that this may have actually been announced during the game.

Withdean Stadium

Hard to describe the atmosphere at both these games but I very clearly remember both nights, if not anything about the games :down:

Hopefully some of you have some more uplifting memories of big events around an Albion game? Maybe your child/grandchild being born during a game?

I was at the game when the Sheffield was hit. When it was announced the chap I was with passed out as his son was on the Sheffield,thankfully his son survived.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Wade Newcastle game was the night the Gulf War started.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
September 11th 2001 - my Dad had passed away a couple of weeks before hand so I was still numbed by that. I knew little about the attacks as I had been in London on a course during the day but I went into the little sweet shop just outside the station and the TV was just replaying the moment that the plane struck the tower over and over again. The thing I remember most was the clear bright blue cloudless sky.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

04 May Albion 2 Wolves 0

Withdean Stadium

I too was at the Southampton game! Sureal

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
HMS Sheffield was announced at the final whistle I remember. My mate was an engineering officer on Sir Tristan and Hermes and we went home wondering if he was ok.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
We were at Leeds on the day of the Hillsborough disaster.
Remember seeing the fans mainly Forest travelling up the motorway before the game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wasn’t at a game, but watching hillsborough on the telly was a horrible experience

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Saturday 20th August 1966. John Snow and Ken Higgs last wicket stand of 128 Vs West Indies. Thank goodness for the transistor radio. It so overshadowed the footie that I've no idea who we were playing.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I also recall the day the Sheffield was hit. It was announced at the final whistle.
I was in London at Earls Court when news broke (I was having a wee and overheard the bloke next to me talk about two planes hitting the towers). Mad rush to get out of town.
And most recently was of course Shoreham, although I'm not sure I knew that much at the time. The old folk in East Upper don't have modern technology to keep up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think this is a going to be a very common theme, but 9/11 and Shoreham. I didn't fully appreciate the significance of 9/11 at the time, I was 14 when it happened and I hadn't seen the footage. It was only the next morning when I went to do my paper round that I began to get a sense for how big it was - pulling out the Sun which was for the first house and seeing the image of the second impact. Absolutely stunning image. I remember the newspapers everyday following that story for over a week, and the next front page story being, "The Queen has a rubber ducky". Quite a change of pace!

Shoreham was odd in general, and I happened to have someone from the management team of Worthing A&E in the seat next to me in the East Upper. He was getting regular phone calls and texts about the situation and was debating whether he should leave the game and go in to work - but ultimately he decided that there wasn't really any need to. There were no patients to see, no mad rush of victims. :down: That's what really made it hit home that it was such a tragedy.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I was away for the Shoreham disaster but if I had been going I would likely have been on that stretch of the A27 around the time of the crash. Chilling

Same here, I was in USA so didn't pick up the story until later in the day there. I had let someone use my Seagull Travel coach seat for the game (bad me) and was panicking thinking if my coach was involved, the list of passengers might be released with my name on so was desperately trying to find out information and contact relatives to remind them I was away.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here