Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion games that you were at and recall an event that overshadowed the football

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I was not at the Southampton cup game on 11 Sept. 2001 but I remember trying to listen to it on the internet and finding I couldn't pay attention at all only to the news out of NY.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The first thing I thought of was at the Goldstone in the 80's, I can't remember who we were playing, but during the pre-match warm-up, an opposing player was hitting some thunderous shots, many of which were flying into the West Side of the North Stand. We were sitting on the concrete terrace, as was everyone else, when a bloke walked down the steps, doing that walk like he'd just got off a horse, trying to look hard, when he was hit flush in the face, knocked off his feet and of course received a huge cheer to help him with the embarrassment. This totally overshadowed the match as I, the mate I was with and everyone around us spent the whole match bursting out with uncontrolled laughter every ten minutes or so which would set everyone else off again. Maybe not a major event, but I'll never forget it. I suppose you had to be there.:lolol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Shoreham again for me.
I’d driven through about 30 mins before and had just arrived at the Amex when my brother called me.
He works for the Police and was checking where I was as I live near Lancing Manor.
I said I was at football and my wife and youngest were going to walk along to watch the air show.

As calmly as he could, he explained what had happened (he took a few of the first 999 calls from the scene) - and suffice to say I spent the next 10 mins in panic trying to call my wife who always has her bloody phone on silent.
Thankfully they hadn’t left home yet and even in such close proximity, hadn’t been aware if what had happened.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham again for me.
I’d driven through about 30 mins before and had just arrived at the Amex when my brother called me.
He works for the Police and was checking where I was as I live near Lancing Manor.
I said I was at football and my wife and youngest were going to walk along to watch the air show.

As calmly as he could, he explained what had happened (he took a few of the first 999 calls from the scene) - and suffice to say I spent the next 10 mins in panic trying to call my wife who always has her bloody phone on silent.
Thankfully they hadn’t left home yet and even in such close proximity, hadn’t been aware if what had happened.

I hope the unveiling of CKR was a “wow” moment for you :thumbsup:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I hope the unveiling of CKR was a “wow” moment for you :thumbsup:

:lol:
Both my initial win and the day of his signing were in the off season :thumbsup:

The day we sold him though, I got a decent phone call at half ten at night from Dick Knight

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How about Plymouth away, April 2001 and the unexpected promotion?

1,300 Albion fans made the journey down to Devon knowing it was a remote possibility we might get promoted that day, then seeing us take a comfortable 2-0 lead after 13 minutes.

All eyes turned to the other two matches that had to go our way - I think Hartlepool had to lose to Hull and Rochdale had to draw or lose vs Macclesfield, both matches were 0-0 until when Hull scored in the 68th minute and the dream was on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here