Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Finders international

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interestingly my sister (who has a different surname since marriage) has had no contact from them. If they can find my FIL's address you'd think they'd look at marriage records of siblings ,too?
Keep quiet. If you get something, you should find out where it's come from. Your sister can then contact them directly and hope to get her entitlement without losing 20%.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Keep quiet. If you get something, you should find out where it's come from. Your sister can then contact them directly and hope to get her entitlement without losing 20%.

Good point. I have a hunch the sibling question will be the first thing they ask. I'll ask my sis if she wants to be involved, if not, I'll have to say 'no comment' to any such questions, might not endear them to me very much though. Hmmm...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good point. I have a hunch the sibling question will be the first thing they ask. I'll ask my sis if she wants to be involved, if not, I'll have to say 'no comment' to any such questions, might not endear them to me very much though. Hmmm...
You're not in contact with any of your family anymore, which is why you emigrated to South Korea. You have no idea what's happened to your sister.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
This is fascinating. Please keep NSC updated! We will need closure.

Sure will, honestly I'm certain it'll all fade to zero soon enough. For all I know they may employ a scatter gun approach to contacting anyone and everyone remotely connected, and then begin the process of elimination. My expectations are really low, but I can't deny that it's been a fun distraction so far!

I'll call them tomorrow and report back.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Figured you were more of a wine drinker...how about a nice bottle of Chateau Pape de Neuf?

At home, yes. At the football, it’s beer. Or whisky when I’ve drunk 3 pints. Chateauneuf du Pape can be a lovely drop, depending on grower & vintage; I’ll come up with a short list of suggestions - £250/bottle ok as a budget? :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure will, honestly I'm certain it'll all fade to zero soon enough. For all I know they may employ a scatter gun approach to contacting anyone and everyone remotely connected, and then begin the process of elimination. My expectations are really low, but I can't deny that it's been a fun distraction so far!

I'll call them tomorrow and report back.

The relative left £100 and there are 25 relatives who can claim!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Your last statement is basically it. When I call them tomorrow I'll certainly push for more details, but I doubt they'll disclose very much until I commit to their conditions. That's their shtick! They absolutely do know how much and how many other people may be in contention. They also do promise to do everything involved in acquiring the fund/assets - hence their fee.

Is this the sort of situation in which you would be able to submit a subject access request and understand all of the details that they have on you? Not sure fully on the workings of them but I am pretty sure that if they have information on you then they have a legal obligation to tell you what that is.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...ation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-of-access/

I would also check exactly when they want the 20%. Some of these claims companies want the 20% prior to paying you out the rest. If you can't afford the 20% upfront then they can come to an arrangement (usually whereby you give them a larger percentage) This was standard practice for a lot of the PPI cowboys so these guys may not be as bad but worth checking.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't believe that they would have contacted you if they didn't know the amount.

It may be that their willingness to negotiate could be governed by the amount. If they won't negotiate, maybe walk away for a couple of months. If their 20% is significant, I would expect them to try and maintain contact and try and 'persuade' you.

If they don't, you can always go back to them later, but your expectations will have been set that it may not be a great amount. I can't think of a situation where you would lose out with this approach (awaits NSC poster to immediately point out the blindingly obvious way you could lose out :wink:).

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
At home, yes. At the football, it’s beer. Or whisky when I’ve drunk 3 pints. Chateauneuf du Pape can be a lovely drop, depending on grower & vintage; I’ll come up with a short list of suggestions - £250/bottle ok as a budget? :smile:

Mate, if (and it's a stupidly large IF) I inherit £250,000 - I will personally deliver you a £250 bottle of anything you desire (except virgin's blood - that'd be weird).

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Is this the sort of situation in which you would be able to submit a subject access request and understand all of the details that they have on you? Not sure fully on the workings of them but I am pretty sure that if they have information on you then they have a legal obligation to tell you what that is.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisation...ation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-of-access/

I would also check exactly when they want the 20%. Some of these claims companies want the 20% prior to paying you out the rest. If you can't afford the 20% upfront then they can come to an arrangement (usually whereby you give them a larger percentage) This was standard practice for a lot of the PPI cowboys so these guys may not be as bad but worth checking.

Wow, Cheers. Yes, I was wondering how they tracked me down. I've been off grid for 13 years and they somehow found me through my FIL's address (where admittedly I do receive my uk bank correspondence) How would they know that? Would my bank give them that info - data mining is a thing perhaps. As for information they have on me about the claim - I'm guessing it's purely a matter of tracing Genealogical stuff - that's basically what they bang on about on their website.

They state the 20% is to be paid when everything settled. Which is fine if it's a cash deal, but if I got lumbered with a derelict property in S Norwood and told to cough up 50,000 for the privilege I'd be fooked!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here