[Brighton] Brighton & Hove street map.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20190911-171507_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190911-171457_Gallery.jpg

After some help here.
I found this old street map in a National Trust bookshop, in Herefordshire of all places.
Just intrigued if any boffins on here, might know how old it might be, obviously pre Apri 1997.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
15p. Blimey. Must be 80s at that price.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you could post a picture of the Queen's Park area I could probably tell you.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd say early mid 70's, very similar to the Shoreham town guide with map I have circa '69.

A few years ago I picked up high quality A1 prints from a charity shop which were ex planning authority, so very accurate and detailed, lots of Hove, none of Goldstone, but I did find a few with friends houses on, so I bought them, great house poster/art.

As trained draughtsman, I love maps, especially old ones, up there with high quality illustrations, technical art. The best stuff is up there with good paintings To my eye

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Okay.

The Xavarian College is still marked on the map with no developments indicated in its boundaries.

Attree Drive (not shown) is referenced in street directories as early as 1970. The earliest buildings on the old site are at least 1972.

Given that the price is in modern money, I reckon the map was put together in 1970/71 and released for sale sometime after February 1971.

That would make the map 2.20 in modern money.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Okay.

The Xavarian College is still marked on the map with no developments indicated in its boundaries.

Attree Drive (not shown) is referenced in street directories as early as 1970. The earliest buildings on the old site are at least 1972.

Given that the price is in modern money, I reckon the map was put together in 1970/71 and released for sale sometime after February 1971.

That would make the map 2.20 in modern money.

Amazing stuff, thank you :)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I still have that map which I got in the 1970s. The 15p should make it post 1971 but this isn't always the case, as the the map may be older than the cover it is in, all Barnett's maps fold out from a cover which is glued onto one end. However, looking at the map itself, the inner arm of the Marina is completed which does post date 1971, as does the non-existance of the Kemp Town railway branch which was dismantled in the same year. Russell Street is still marked which means the Brighton Centre hadn't been started and that was built between 1975-76. Also the schools are still the pre 1975 designations: Varndean Boys and Girls; BHASVIC is a Grammar School; Blatchington Mill and Hove Park upper school are separate boys and girls schools. But then to confuse matters Brighton Locomotive Works are still marked as such and they were demolished in 1966 having closed in the late 1950s.

My rough estimate is post 1971 and pre 1975 and if I was to guess a particular year I'd probably plump for 1974.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Whitehawk at the bottom right corner of the map hasn't been developed from the old street layouts to what is there now.
I believe Hervey Road was one of the first roads to be demolished. A lad I went to school with in the late 70s told me his family were moved out of Hervey Rd. This was before 1978, but I'm not sure of the exact date. ( it's difficult to remember a conversation from that far back)
Looking at the My Brighton and Hove website, it says the redevelopment of the estate started in 1975.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here