Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Ashes Test- The Oval- Thursday 12th September 2019

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So the Urn will return to Oz. Well, actually it will stay at Lords and the Aussies can buy themselves a replica from Gamleys

It’s still all to play for. Why ? Simply because England haven’t lost a home series against Australia since 2001. A nice stat to continue.

So to the traditional last Test of the summer at the Oval this Thursday. The same observations and expectations of the series still lingering from the first. Namely fragile top orders (Except, of course, for Steve Smith and now his capable deputy come compatriot, Marcus Labuschagne) and strong bowling line ups to dominate.

Australia have played the better cricket throughout. A team confident in its anchors. England, still perhaps unsure of itself after the World Cup success, has never managed to look like a team who have easily slipped into the transition of formats.

The selection of the same squad for the final Test is not overly surprising. Bayliss, despite his detractors, has served the nation well. It would be best not to ring changes now. England have a busy winter schedule (a rather overloaded one too) so those currently in the squad should have another chance to state their claim as new blood will inevitably be considered.

The pitch

Since 2000

England: 10 wins
Draw: 4
Opposition: 5 wins

Australia won the last encounter in 2015 by an innings with a century from…. Yes him. Warner made 85.

The surface is traditionally seen as pacey, bouncy and even. More in keeping with Perth. Not quite in the Harry Brind tradition but recent matches have not been close enough to judge its longevity.

Winning the toss would normally see a team batting. But that’s nothing new.

England

If Stokes is only able to play as a batsman we may see the inclusion of Sam Curran. Jason Roy is the obvious choice to make way here as Denly will continue to open. Roy will not be best pleased to miss out at home.

Australia

Starc should continue. I was surprised it took so long for him to enter the fray. But rotation is the Aussie thing when playing with a four man attack. Siddle had a good match here in 2015.

Forecast

Hopefully incorrect: Australia win.

Stat Fart

I've looked up the last drawn series: 1972

BL

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought it was a less busy winter, 6 tests, 3 ODIs, 8 T20s.

Yes. It's more the time they are away. End of October through to mid- February. A week at home then back out to South Africa well before Christmas. I think it's a bit harsh on cricketers with young families.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I half agree that Roy should at least get to play on his home ground but considering he's down a total of **** all I tihnk this would have been a good time to give Pope a go.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Shit scheduling isn't it, The Ashes shunted to one side because of the World Cup.

I honestly don't care about the result which after 40 plus years of being a cricket fan means that the ECB have done their work well. Anyone for T20?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I half agree that Roy should at least get to play on his home ground but considering he's down a total of **** all I tihnk this would have been a good time to give Pope a go.

Stokes may need to play as a batsman only though. So Curran or Woakes may need to come in as a replacement.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes. It's more the time they are away. End of October through to mid- February. A week at home then back out to South Africa well before Christmas. I think it's a bit harsh on cricketers with young families.

Even more reason to start differentiating the squads. A test player would be away end of Nov to end of Jan.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So-

Burns
Denly
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Bairstow
Curran
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see the point in dropping Roy and playing Stokes as a batsman and bringing in Woakes and Curran;; I would have thought one or the other or even stuck with Overton and brought in another batsman like Pope possibly.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I cannot see the point in dropping Roy and playing Stokes as a batsman and bringing in Woakes and Curran;; I would have thought one or the other or even stuck with Overton and brought in another batsman like Pope possibly.

Woakes a better option than Overton. Curran gives variation on his home turf. Who does Pope replace ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm going tomorrow. It feels as though we need to win the toss to have any chance of a win.

Especially with the weather set fair for the duration of the match. Enjoy.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Roy, like for like batsman for batsman. I would also have dropped Bairstow given the gloves to Buttler and still brought in Curran

So you effectively have Curran replacing Bairstow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here