Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Ashes Test- The Oval- Thursday 12th September 2019

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Go to bed :moo:

To be fair we are pretty pants at batting, so are Australia if it weren't for Smith and Laborchagne, both have the best bowling line ups in the world. Jofra will take over as no.1 bowler in the world. Stuff happens, I'm happy with our summer except doing Old Trafford in September.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyway it's been a great summer of cricket. I've loved the online banter here. I'll miss this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
draw the fair result
I think so, and I don't agree with the commentators that Australia were the better side. We lost Anderson in the first test, so were a man down, and Stokes couldn't bowl in this test. Also taking into account that the cheats won the toss 4 out of 5 times and I think we did well to draw the series.

Smith was of course the best batsmen by a country mile, but the rest of the Aussie batters weren't too good.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Two sides with formidable bowling attacks but very dubious batsmen. Without Smith's runs it might have been 4-0.We really shouldn't have gambled on Anderson's fitness...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I expected us to get battered and generally I feel like we did until this final Test.
We were also easily ahead in the 2nd test which was rained off. So better in the two games where we batted first (even though we'd lost the toss both times and been put in as batting conditions weren't great).

If we'd won the toss 4 times, we'd have won the series.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Fascinating series and looking at the positives:

- good crowds; great media coverage

- the greatest Test match of all time

- arguably the greatest Test performance of all time

- the emergence of the greatest batsman since the war

- the impact of the most exciting young England fast-bowler for many years

- in Cummings and Hazelwood, probably the best fast bowling combo in the world

- Broad still showing big match class

Probably missed something, but that's enough to make this a pretty damn good Test series.

-

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Fascinating series and looking at the positives:

- good crowds; great media coverage

- the greatest Test match of all time

- arguably the greatest Test performance of all time

- the emergence of the greatest batsman since the war

- the impact of the most exciting young England fast-bowler for many years

- in Cummings and Hazelwood, probably the best fast bowling combo in the world

- Broad still showing big match class

Probably missed something, but that's enough to make this a pretty damn good Test series.

-

Hopefully a shot in the arm that test cricket needs. Still the greatest format of the game for me.

The ECB need to rethink its strategy. The lack of Championship cricket during the main summer months really left our squad under prepared for a test series.

It felt like many of our batsman grew into the series and started to play proper test match innings rather than chasing the ball in one day mode. We have a really promising array of fast bowlers and Leach is looking more and more a test match player.

Denly & Burns are worth persevering with but we still need a proper number 3 if Root moves back down.

The other conundrum is how to you fit Stokes & Curran in the team. I’m not sure you necessarily can although both are fine cricketers.

2-2 a fair result after a superb series played by two flawed but even teams.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Steve Smith take a bow. He was the difference between England winning another series at home and them retaining the Ashes, that was a Once In A Generation batting performance.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
That was a good series in the end, with Smith as the star and Stokes not a huge distance behind (but still quite a way behind). Broad did wonderfully, as did Archer - and even the opening batsmen seemed ok by the end.

Just such a pity that Jimmy got injured when he did. He could have made such a difference and I hope he can play some more and will get the send-off he deserves when he does retire.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So who comes into the reckoning who hasnt been tried and discarded?

Dominick Sibley is widely touted to your this winter. You may well see him come in as an opener with Denly dropping to 3 or 4 again.

Foakes will come into contention with the gloves but whilst his test record is very good his form with the bat for his county this season has been poor.

Getting the balance of the team right will be tough. Perhaps too many all rounders which is muddling our thinking.

Stokes of course has to play but outside of him you’ve got:- Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Curran & Ali who give us options but are prone to inconsistency. Curren perhaps the only exception, he’s tended to perform more often than not.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its a shame most of the world have got bored with test cricket. There is generally shortened series of 3 tests amongst non rival countries, often performed in half empty stadiums.

Not sure why, but the likes of England, Aussies, NZ and SA are more interested in this game, and not just obsessed with the various forms of the 1 day game.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nice to see, the spirit of cricket and the ashes is still well and truly alive after a long summer of hard but mostly good spirited cricket.

36B6A503-B503-49B2-8130-6ED1F0D2CA3C.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here