Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Ashes Test- The Oval- Thursday 12th September 2019

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Another time Burns would be playing for his place. I've got huge doubts about his stance and technique in the long run. But, as things stand, he's got plenty of time to sort it out.

Disagree. He’s outscored all of the other openers in this series put together, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet now opening this series against the standard of bowling I think he’s done very well. His stance is odd but odd doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

Root dropped TWICE :lol: 2 dollies as well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Root dropped for the 2nd time

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's 12 wickets they have to take then.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Disagree. He’s outscored all of the other openers in this series put together, he’s one of the first names on the team sheet now opening this series against the standard of bowling I think he’s done very well. His stance is odd but odd doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

Root dropped TWICE :lol: 2 dollies as well.

Smith isn't the most orthodox of players!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
During the early professional years of Rugby (Union), the RFU wrote to all schools and clubs and asked them to identify promising back-row forwards who could be retrained to play in the front row. I.E- moving naturally athletic, ball carrying players in to the front row (who at that point were just the fattest players in the school/club).

I wonder whether we need to take a similar approach in the county game. Pope is 21- he's run scoring ability is obviously beyond question. Can we not look at moving he, and other players with either natural ability or obvious mental fortitude, in to the top 3, give them a season or two or three in the county game (absolutely not fast track them in to the national team), let them learn without any pressure and then get them into the England set-up around the age of 24 (which seems like a far more sensible age than 21 anyway).
Another thing would be to identify players who have a natural ability more suited to long form cricket- make them focus on that and that only, and pay them a kind of non-20/20 playing subsidy.

We need to do something about the top 3, it's not going to get any better in the long run without some seriously creative thinking.

It's a well made point. The problem is the reach of the game these days. Most youngsters who come through are doing so as as a result of family tradition. Having cricket on Sky doesn't help. (Im a huge hypocrite there as I have the full suite). The point remains though. A lot of folk missed the World Cup.

There is no cricket tradition in my family. I got lucky. A junior school teacher who played locally, a cricket mad friend and, most importantly, the 1981 Ashes series in the box when I was at my most impressionable.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It's a well made point. The problem is the reach of the game these days. Most youngsters who come through are doing so as as a result of family tradition. Having cricket on Sky doesn't help. (Im a huge hypocrite there as I have the full suite). The point remains though. A lot of folk missed the World Cup.

There is no cricket tradition in my family. I got lucky. A junior school teacher who played locally, a cricket mad friend and, most importantly, the 1981 Ashes series in the box when I was at my most impressionable.

The World Cup not being on was a shocker but I actually think an evening highlights show is ideal for test matches (on terrestrial).

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Root dropped for the 2nd time

He's far more positive in coming forward today. Although that can leave him open to sky pull shots.

You have to take the catches though....

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Also wonder if the Terrestrial argument also avoids the elephant in the room which is cricket In schools. I was lucky enough to live in a village so cricket was always a big part of my young life, but at my state school it was treated as a bit of a joke. Awful facilities and no access to decent equipment. Luckily our team was made up of kids that lived in villages so had been playing cricket at a better level for years, but when we played the public schools the difference was alarming- beautiful pitches, pavilions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Three times! Is that some kind of record?!

The data turns up four batsmen who have been dropped five times in an innings: one was Andy Blignaut, whose 84 not out in Harare in 2005 included an extremely rare hat-trick of dropped catches; Zaheer Khan was the unhappy bowler. (There was also a hat-trick of missed chances at Old Trafford in 1972, when two batsmen survived against Geoff Arnold.) The others who have been missed five times are Hashim Amla (253 in Nagpur, 2010), Taufeeq Umar (135 in St Kitts, 2011) and Kane Williamson (242 not out in Wellington, 2014). Nothing in this century quite matches the seven or eight missed catches (reports vary) off George Bonnor when he made 87 in Sydney in 1883, or six misses off Bill Ponsford in his 266 at The Oval in 1934 (as recorded by veteran scorer Bill Ferguson). Wavell Hinds was dropped twice at the MCG in 2000, and still made a duck.

Obviously not then :)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
See for all the comments Burns technique and stance, he’s offered up no chances today and Root has been dropped 3 times despite having what you would think is better technique. Don’t think aesthetics is always that important.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Joe Root's scores this match: 24, 1, 5 and 10 not out :glare:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That was coming, Root has been absolutely bogged down and Cummins has produced another snorter that oddly kept low.

Tell you what, Cummins is an extraordinarily good bowler, bowls some unplayable balls.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Root has done himself no favours this series, all this talk of the 'Big Four' in world cricket is rubbish, he is miles behind Smith, Kohli and Williamson.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Watch us win this and draw the series.

What will follow will be some heads in the sand saying how nothing needs to be changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here