Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton tactic offers up an opportunity for more Man City opponents

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Many teams have tried many different ways to try to stop the Blues but Pep Guardiola was effusive about the way the Seagulls had set up, declaring that there was no opponent during his three years in charge that had shown so much courage at the Etihad. You could say it is easy to say that after a 4-0 win, and the Blues boss is not averse to showering other managers with praise, but it did appear a genuine compliment from a man who felt like his team had been tested.

Brighton then followed the same route under Potter. This was the first of four games so far this season they could not manage 50 per cent possession in a game, but they stayed true to what they believed in and could go home knowing they at least troubled City. Were it not for Ederson on top form and Fernandinho's headed clearance, the game could have followed a very different path.

MORE >>> https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/brighton-potter-man-city-tactics-16887877

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If only points were given for losing and managers weren’t sacked after defeats.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I feel that we could have won if it weren't for the fact that all of their players are better than any of ours.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm in. Balls deep.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Totally disagree with that. Could have been 6 or 7 nil despite City being flat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
::
I'm in. Balls deep.

Me too but with eyes open :ohmy:

If it works and we stay up we are in for our best season ever imo. I am loving what I have seen of the way Potter wants to play. Yes, we might be this season’s Fulham and need a rethink of tactics after a few more games and be doomed by Xmas but I don’t believe we will and intend to enjoy the ride.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I firmly believe that at some game (maybe Burnley), the system will click into place and we'll give
someone a good hiding. Please don't quote me at 5pm on Saturday tho' please :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only positives you can take from a 0-4 are whatever you take forward and achieve in the next games.

If we go on and get 4 points from Burnley and Newcastle, then we can reflect on a progression which the City game would have contributed to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No, but the difference in those two scorelines in 2015/16 would have meant we’d have been promoted a year earlier than we were, instead of Boro.

Well the tactics we employed at the Amex as we got thrashed by Boro earlier in the season was a 3 point difference and the inferior goal difference, so I’m not having that argument :smile:

We are likely to have learned much more about our players going toe to toe against City than we would have by sticking every man behind the ball and trying to keep the score down. I imagine we’ll benefit from the confidence the players took from that 4-0 defeat, bizarre as that sounds.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well the tactics we employed at the Amex as we got thrashed by Boro earlier in the season was a 3 point difference and the inferior goal difference, so I’m not having that argument :smile:

We are likely to have learned much more about our players going toe to toe against City than we would have by sticking every man behind the ball and trying to keep the score down. I imagine we’ll benefit from the confidence the players took from that 4-0 defeat, bizarre as that sounds.

I do understand, and largely agree with, your point. I do wonder if it’s not somehow a little reckless to try to play expansive football away against the big 6 though. I think it would be more pragmatic and likely lead to a better end position (even if only on GD) if we were a bit more defensive in those six games. After all, there are 32 other games to play attractive attacking football and in which to “learn much more about our players”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here