Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Kosovo 7.45 tonight @ St Mary's (capacity 32,505)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yep. Think about who we played, pens we had in the WC. Me saying he's not world class isn't saying he isn't class, because clearly he is. World class has to be reserved for the very best, I don't think he's that good. We said the same things about Rooney, he wasn't world class either.

He’s scored against every PL side his ever played against.

15 or so CL goals

Scored against Barca/Real/Dortmund/Juve

But a flat track bully

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
How can the Golden Boot top scorer at the 2018 World Cup and two-time Premier League Golden Boot winner not be considered world class? He's bagged one more than Hurst for England in 9 fewer games.

Hurst didnt get to play the likes of Kosovo etc. Anyway I am sure people would argue Hurst wasnt world class as well. I Hate the term for that very reason it always ends up in arguments over what World Class means.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. Think about who we played, pens we had in the WC. Me saying he's not world class isn't saying he isn't class, because clearly he is. World class has to be reserved for the very best, I don't think he's that good. We said the same things about Rooney, he wasn't world class either.

You have a point, it’s about the definition of world class.

Some argue it’s just the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, VVD, Silva, De Bruyne, Mbappe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sterling is Universe Class.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I know Southgate is wary of Kosovo, and I know he has a way of playing, but do we really need both Henderson and Rice in a home match?
Same with Dier playing all the time. Surely Winks, or even a further forward Maddison would make more sense. Or Rashford with Sterling behind Kane.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He’s scored against every PL side his ever played against.

15 or so CL goals

Scored against Barca/Real/Dortmund/Juve

But a flat track bully

Kevin Phillips won the PL golden boot and scored against every PL he played against.

World Class to me at least is elevating your team beyond the sum of it's parts, being the difference between success and not. I haven't seen Spurs or England win anything yet. He could have been the difference in the CL final. Could have been the difference in the WC semi final. They are the contributions that elevate a player to world class in my mind. England had a beatable opponent in the WC, as did Spurs in the CL final. These are the difference a truly world class player makes. He has plenty of time to elevate himself to that, I'm not throwing around the term just because of topping goal charts. Didn't James Rodríguez win the last WC golden boot? What happened to him?

It's what England do time after time. Lampard, Beckham and Gerrard are world class. Rooney is world class. etc. etc. We build them up, then slate them when they don't deliver.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How can Mbappe be classed as World class and Kane not?

He plays in a joke of a league

I think they both are btw

How does playing 28 games against shite opposition and not winning the other 10 games make Kane's CV any better?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kevin Phillips won the PL golden boot and scored against every PL he played against.

World Class to me at least is elevating your team beyond the sum of it's parts, being the difference between success and not. I haven't seen Spurs or England win anything yet. He could have been the difference in the CL final. Could have been the difference in the WC semi final. They are the contributions that elevate a player to world class in my mind. England had a beatable opponent in the WC, as did Spurs in the CL final. These are the difference a truly world class player makes. He has plenty of time to elevate himself to that, I'm not throwing around the term just because of topping goal charts. Didn't James Rodríguez win the last WC golden boot? What happened to him?

It's what England do time after time. Lampard, Beckham and Gerrard are world class. Rooney is world class. etc. etc. We build them up, then slate them when they don't deliver.

Did Philips win the PL golden boot more than once, WC golden boot, have Kanes record for England?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sterling and Kane is a monstrously good combo now. Love it.

Nice to play a team who actually try to attack us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here