Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Kosovo 7.45 tonight @ St Mary's (capacity 32,505)

When I heard a few days ago that England were playing Kosovo today at Southampton, I just presumed it was the Under-21 team. I'm just at a
loss as to why this stadium was chosen, can anybody explain? If the reason is so that more people around the country can see England play, then I have to tell you that the total of those able to attend tonight will be at least 50,000 fewer than those able to see the team at Wembley on Saturday.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Are they trying to share the odd game round the country again? Being local I bagged a ticket when it was in general sale back in May.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I doubt Wembley would've been packed out tonight for a game against Kosovo. I'm a fan of sending it out round the country, I thought it worked brilliantly when they did it while Wembley was being rebuilt.

St Mary's will be packed to the rafters, fans close to the pitch, should be a decent atmosphere. Whats not to like ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm guessing the FA thought they couldn't sell the tickets to make it worth opening the stadium for.

When I heard a few days ago that England were playing Kosovo today at Southampton, I just presumed it was the Under-21 team. I'm just at a
loss as to why this stadium was chosen, can anybody explain? If the reason is so that more people around the country can see England play, then I have to tell you that the total of those able to attend tonight will be at least 50,000 fewer than those able to see the team at Wembley on Saturday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It makes perfect sense to me.

Should be a decent atmosphere and leaves the door open for England, on day, coming to the AMEX, for a full and competitive match.

What's not to like?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I doubt Wembley would've been packed out tonight for a game against Kosovo. I'm a fan of sending it out round the country, I thought it worked brilliantly when they did it while Wembley was being rebuilt.

St Mary's will be packed to the rafters, fans close to the pitch, should be a decent atmosphere. Whats not to like ?

Oi, I said that first - I just type slower. :lol:

It does seem like the oddest of odd grumbles.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Part of the sending a few more games around the country. The FA knew this would not sell out at Wembley, Tuesday night after the summer so it is a good fit

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was trialled again last year when they played friendlies at Elland Road and at Leicester. Seems the FA feel it works well. Not sure if there is some sort of bidding process.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Part of the sending a few more games around the country. The FA knew this would not sell out at Wembley, Tuesday night after the summer so it is a good fit

Don't think it would have been that far off. Folk do like to see a good 'anging.

Although I sense Kosovo might wiggle a bit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oi, I said that first - I just type slower. :lol:

It does seem like the oddest of odd grumbles.

:D

Yep, can't agree with the OP on this one. Maybe you'd have got 50-60k tonight at Wembley, but it would've been a totally dead atmosphere. Far better to have a sellout crowd away from the corporate beast that is our national stadium is these days. I'd be up for seeing more England games at Villa Park, Old Trafford, Anfield etc. Most other nations' national teams make use of their club grounds, so should we.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The 4 home qualifiers are hardly crowd pullers and this once coming on the back of the Saturday match was always going to be a tough one to sell at Wembley.

The Montenegro match was also planned to be outside of Wembley but as its the 1,000 England match they have gone for Wembley as plan to do something a bit different.

I am a supporter of taking it around the country as I hate Wembley, the atmosphere is dire, getting away from the place is a pain! Saying that as Wembley is down South for a big chunk of the England following, taking it further South is a bit of a liberty! It should have been at least in the midlands if not further north.

I hope we do better than the last England game at Southampton, a 2-2 draw with Macedonia! Kosovo are unbeaten in 2 years (15 matches)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Unless I am mistaken Wembley is in the south of England so why didnt they take this game to a ground up north with a capacity of 45,000 +.

Southern people will pay more?
They have plans to do similar up north?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hope we do better than the last England game at Southampton, a 2-2 draw with Macedonia! Kosovo are unbeaten in 2 years (15 matches)

True, but then 6 of those 15 matches were against the Faroe Islands, Malta and Azerbaijan in the Nations League, so this really should just be another routine win for our heroes tonight.

Hoping to see Sancho in for Rashford and Maddison in for Barkley.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It makes perfect sense to me.

Should be a decent atmosphere and leaves the door open for England, on day, coming to the AMEX, for a full and competitive match.

What's not to like?

We've already had the England U21s at the Amex, so why not?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It worked brilliantly because there wasn't an alternative! Whilst I'm not a fan of sending it around the country as we have a national stadium, if they do insist on doing why pick Soton, an hour on the train from Waterloo? Surely if you're going to go around the country, ship it up north, Anfield, Etihad or even St James Pk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here