Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] How much would you pay for an autograph?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With less people buying CDs or vinyl rather than downloading, one of the ways that musicians can increase sales and improve income is to release a limited number which they sign.
Where this is not part of a super deluxe box set, it usually means an increase in price of £10 or is just part of a initial run to gain publicity and reward fans.

So Ronnie Wood is shortly issuing a live CD/Vinyl of a gig he did playing only Chuck Berry numbers.

The deluxe box (unsigned) £50, the deluxe box (signed) £299.

So £249 for a signed set list.

Obviously well overpriced but no doubt some Rolling Stone fans will buy.

Therefore for your favourite musician or footballer how much would you be prepared to splash out (or have paid).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£0.00.

I've never quite "got" the autograph thing tbh. Just an indistinguishable scribble on a bit of paper or on some memorabilia. The number of people I see walking around in autographed replica shirts amazes me. You've paid the thick end of sixty sheets for a shirt, and you have someone scrawl their name on it. Nobody can ever read it anyway.

Not for me, Clive.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
zero, zilch, nada, niente.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends what I could move it on for

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The only autograph I have is Rusty Lee.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Depends what I could move it on for

Is the right answer.
My son has started collecting and I gave him all my old ones from the sixties. He started collecting Man Utd Munich era autographs. There’s a lot of trading on line. It’s a hobby and hopefully with football becoming the greatest thing in the world (?) they may appreciate in value. I hope so for his sake!
I did get Cantona’s for free when he played beach soccer in Brighton some years ago. To me he is a Brighton legend.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Way back, my Uncle was good mates with Brian Powney. When I started getting interested in the Albion my Uncle very kindly , asked Brian to get me the entire teams autographs, which he duly did. I was made up, took them to school to show my mates, etc, who asked me if I could get any ‘good teams ‘ , I asked my Uncle, he said no trouble, I’ll ask Brian. I was the most popular kid in school , United fans got Charlton, Best, Law, Leeds fans got Clarke, and Reaney, Chelsea fans Webb ,and Harrisetc, etc. I got one of any players I asked for, I was in heaven.

It was a few years later that I realised they were all written in the same pen ,and all the same handwriting.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
£0.00.

I've never quite "got" the autograph thing tbh. Just an indistinguishable scribble on a bit of paper or on some memorabilia. The number of people I see walking around in autographed replica shirts amazes me. You've paid the thick end of sixty sheets for a shirt, and you have someone scrawl their name on it. Nobody can ever read it anyway.

Not for me, Clive.

By the same token there are many people who wouldn't open their curtains if Brighton were playing Barcelona in the CL final in their back garden. Each to their own really.

On the subject of autographs I have 1938 £1 note signed on one side by the great Arsenal team of the day plus Herber Chapman and the Sheff Utd team on the other.
Says signed at the Dyke Hotel. ( on a team building golf weekend I think)
No idea what it's worth, if anything.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm as baffled by those who put value in autographs as those who buy personalised number plates. Why bother?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was a guest of Renault at a Silverstone test day many years ago, and got my Renault-branded security lanyard signed by their two drivers at the time (Alonso on one side, Fisichella on the other). Its in my sock drawer somewhere, not seen the light of day for years. I dunno if its worth anything, there's no way I can prove its authentic so probably not.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
By the same token there are many people who wouldn't open their curtains if Brighton were playing Barcelona in the CL final in their back garden. Each to their own really.

On the subject of autographs I have 1938 £1 note signed on one side by the great Arsenal team of the day plus Herber Chapman and the Sheff Utd team on the other.

£1 :lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

There’s a scruffy piece of paper with the Arsenal autographs for that period on Ebay for £275, if that helps gauge it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've got Fran Healy from Travis's autograph knocking about somewhere.

Less than worthless, if that's possible.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Had bob marleys autograph, but it vanished years ago. Probably worth a few bob now, although, even if I had it, I wouldnt sell. It did say To Dave, and I think that devalues an autograph anyway, if its to somebody, ie a pleb

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
£0.00.

Not for me, Clive.

Each to their own. I've never been an "autograph hunter" getting a scribble on a piece of paper or in an autograph book. Had an autograph book once, and I think the only autograph I got in it was Peter Eubanks.

BUT, a piece of memorabilia, signed, ah now that is a different kettle of fish. My lad got me an Albion shirt for Christmas, signed by the squad - largely indistinguishable - but I keep meaning to put a picture of it up on here to see if we can work out most of them between us. Absolutely love that, I was quite choked up when I opened it tbh.

I've got an NFL gameball at home signed by Superbowl V winner, and hollywood actor, Bubba Smith! And of course, I sorted that shirt for Chris, signed by Garry Nelson.

Autographs, no, but a signed bit of memorabilia, oh yes, love a little bit of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here