Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pub Recommendations in Lewes.

Obadiah Wood

Sep 9, 2019
Hi guys; travelling Burnley Fan here.

I’ll be making a weekend of it this week, travelling down to see friends in Surrey and heading to the game on Saturday on the train. My plan is to go for pre-Match drinks in the lovely town of Lewes. I remember going there a few times with friends of mine from the University of Brighton(Falmer) back in the callow days of my youth, and wish to revisit.

Seeing as it’s 25 years since I’ve been there, I’m wondering what the pub scene is like there, nowadays? I like a bit of Real Ale and Craft. Could the local knowledge on here give me some recommendations?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Are you staying overnight or just a stop-over?

When you arrive turn right out of the station. There is a pub right on the corner that will be full of Brighton fans (all friendly).

For ales there is a good choice in town though. Take the first right after the bridge (Lansdowne Place) this will take you to the main High Street (past Premier Inn) At the traffic lights turn right to Cliffe High St (pedestrianised). Two good pubs. Over the river look for Argos and behind it is the John Harvey. The brewery is 100 yards away! Carry on down the High Street for the Gardeners Arms. The second being a free house with a good selection of ales but very small pub. Worth a mention and near to the Gardeners (10 minutes) are the Dorset Arms (Harveys) and the Snowdrop Inn. Further away but worth a look is the Black Horse, a bus travellors fave as it's right next to the stop.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
The Lewes Arms - Grand old boozer selling Fullers beers and Harveys best. Straight up the hill from the station, cross over at the lights, past the Lamb of Lewes on the right and there's a small street on your left through which you'll see the pub.

Alternatively, turn left at those lights and on the main High St is 'The Rights of Man' which is a decent Harveys Pub.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Rights of Man if it’s a nice day!

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
The Swan is the best pub imo. It serves a decent selection of Harvey's ales and has a decent pub garden - the weather is looking pretty good for Saturday. You can then walk to the station after or head up to the bus stop at Lewes prison for transport to the Amex.

Obadiah Wood

Sep 9, 2019
Are you staying overnight or just a stop-over?

When you arrive turn right out of the station. There is a pub right on the corner that will be full of Brighton fans (all friendly).

For ales there is a good choice in town though. Take the first right after the bridge (Lansdowne Place) this will take you to the main High Street (past Premier Inn) At the traffic lights turn right to Cliffe High St (pedestrianised). Two good pubs. Over the river look for Argos and behind it is the John Harvey. The brewery is 100 yards away! Carry on down the High Street for the Gardeners Arms. The second being a free house with a good selection of ales but very small pub. Worth a mention and near to the Gardeners (10 minutes) are the Dorset Arms (Harveys) and the Snowdrop Inn. Further away but worth a look is the Black Horse, a bus travellors fave as it's right next to the stop.
Just a day trip. Coming down on the train from my base in Surrey. Planning to go for a scoop or two in Brighton, post match, before training it back.

Thanks for the recommendations, you guys. Food for thought.

It’ll be my first time at the Amex, and my first time watching Burnley at Brighton. I went to the old Goldstone ground 4 times, whilst visiting my friend at Uni, but never to see Burnley play. Sadly, I wasn’t much of a good luck charm for your Team. Two goalless draws and a pair of one nil defeats. Dark days for your lot, then. You’ve come a long way.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Most pubs in Lewes are decent, I haven't been in every pub though TBF especially The Tally Ho [MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] :wink: it's a bit out of the way. :)
The Landsdown just up from the station is the most popular on match days, but there are plenty of pubs within walking distance of
Lewes station.
Pubs already mentioned on this thread are good, but I can recommend the following pubs.
Elephant & Castle.
The John Harvey.
The Brewers Arms.
Royal Oak.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The John Harvey Tavern is the best for ale drinkers. No lager boys.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Gardeners Arms, Swan, probably the nicest and more varied selection of beers is to be found in the Brewers. Some pubs (Lewes Arms particularly, Lamb too) just a pale imitation of what they were 25 years ago when you were last in Lewes. Have a look at the Pelham Arms too but avoid all the Badger beer and just focus on the Abyss, it's something special and began life being brewed in the cellar of the pub. Depending how many of you there are Patch is amazing for food and incredible beer.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Without wishing to stereotype your supporters, I don’t think the Slug and Racist pub chain has any pubs in the local area

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just a day trip. Coming down on the train from my base in Surrey. Planning to go for a scoop or two in Brighton, post match, before training it back.

Thanks for the recommendations, you guys. Food for thought.

It’ll be my first time at the Amex, and my first time watching Burnley at Brighton. I went to the old Goldstone ground 4 times, whilst visiting my friend at Uni, but never to see Burnley play. Sadly, I wasn’t much of a good luck charm for your Team. Two goalless draws and a pair of one nil defeats. Dark days for your lot, then. You’ve come a long way.

So have you. I remember you surviving the drop to the Conference on the last day of the season. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also, if you are going to the football, Lewes and it's station on a sunny autumn afternoon make you realise why we are effing lucky to be English. Fact.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
If you like Craft then the Snowdrop is by far the best choice you could make.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here