Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Merry Christmas everyone!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like these threads as it reminds me that it mus be time to upgrade my Iphone, not to the latest, but at least somewhere close. I'm normally about 2 versions behind. This will make it 3 I think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the leaks are genuine, the new cameras on the back look downright horrendous.

And, being a third iteration of the current model is a bit cheeky by Apple.

Agreed.

Although, I'll say I thought the same about the current camera lens hump, and I've become accustomed to it now (not on my phone though, as above somewhere).

I guess the one thing that could possibly convince me is a big jump forward in image quality, which is being suggested.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And exactly what is wrong with the lowest spec Omsung ohine for cheapskates may I ask?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And exactly what is wrong with the lowest spec Omsung ohine for cheapskates may I ask?
Well firstly, you can't show off to your mates how cool you are by dropping a grand on a phone. Actually, that is about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Absolutely nothing.

The ridiculous hyperbole that flows from the most fervent fanbois is just bizarre. It must be all-but-impossible to buy a phone today that isn't functionally sound and will do everything that we ask of such a device.

And with that, the biggest show on Earth is about to kick off. This is going to be epic. Laters.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It will be interesting to see whether the Chinese government tax the feck out of the iPhone components, and this push the price of the phone up.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sorry to hear that. I think they are crap. Ok for the first 6 months, then pants.

Its the ports that have been crap on my Mac Book, they have had to replace the board as after a few months the USB-C stops clicking in and stops charging.

I think the tech has been better but the components have been cheaper. They replaced it for free but it took a few days.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Its the ports that have been crap on my Mac Book, they have had to replace the board as after a few months the USB-C stops clicking in and stops charging.

I think the tech has been better but the components have been cheaper. They replaced it for free but it took a few days.

Yes, thinking about it you are right. Whatever the reason the blighted don't charge!. The feckwrs fallen out just this second :censored:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes, thinking about it you are right. Whatever the reason the blighted don't charge!. The feckwrs fallen out just this second :censored:

Its a fault where the ports come lose, they will change them but you are without your Mac for about two weeks. It does effect the data flow as well, they can check them in the store. One by one they fail.

They stop clicking in tightly (as they should). Take it into the genius bar - book it in online as a hardware fault.

EU Directive gives you 2 year warranty on faulty electrical goods if they says its not covered.

https://appletoolbox.com/are-your-macbook-usb-c-ports-loose/

Last edited:

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
In what way was it a joke?

Regardless, based on that, I think you're going to be disappointed.

Just a huge lack of innovation for a huge price tag. The last few iPhones have been really underwhelming and they've become "dad phones", the sort of thing you'd buy your aging parents because they're simple and easy to use without any bells and whistles to complicate. Problem is apple have been asking a massive premium. Seriously, going from iphone to note 8 was like tablet to desktop computer functionality-wise.

Honestly though, the note 10 doesn't impress me much either, so I may just stay with my 8 for now. We've hit peak phone in many respects and new phones represent very little value at all imo. Apple needs to close the 2-3 year gap they're at with android and android needs to keep going forward instead of sitting on its hands. You cant just keep adding camera lenses to the same phone and charging people 1000+ forever.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just a huge lack of innovation for a huge price tag. The last few iPhones have been really underwhelming and they've become "dad phones", the sort of thing you'd buy your aging parents because they're simple and easy to use without any bells and whistles to complicate. Problem is apple have been asking a massive premium. Seriously, going from iphone to note 8 was like tablet to desktop computer functionality-wise.

Honestly though, the note 10 doesn't impress me much either, so I may just stay with my 8 for now. We've hit peak phone in many respects and new phones represent very little value at all imo. Apple needs to close the 2-3 year gap they're at with android and android needs to keep going forward instead of sitting on its hands. You cant just keep adding camera lenses to the same phone and charging people 1000+ forever.

That's just it though, isn't it?

There has been very little in the way of genuine hardware innovation across the entire mobile phone industry. It's broadly been about incremental improvements across all manufacturers - more efficient power utilisation, better screen resolution, improved cameras is broadly what we see.

Occasionally there's a small jump forward in one aspect, eg facial unlocking replacing fingerprints which replaced PINs, but broadly all devices are what they were five years ago or more, just somewhat bigger now.

The foldable devices certainly look interesting. Samsung ****ed up their first attempt royally, you'd hope that after that the Fold 5G actually works.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
That's just it though, isn't it?

There has been very little in the way of genuine hardware innovation across the entire mobile phone industry. It's broadly been about incremental improvements across all manufacturers - more efficient power utilisation, better screen resolution, improved cameras is broadly what we see.

Occasionally there's a small jump forward in one aspect, eg facial unlocking replacing fingerprints which replaced PINs, but broadly all devices are what they were five years ago or more, just somewhat bigger now.

The foldable devices certainly look interesting. Samsung ****ed up their first attempt royally, you'd hope that after that the Fold 5G actually works.

Yeah that looked really cool until people actually started using it ��

I just watched the keynote highlights, the 11 pros ability to shoot two different lenses at the same time for video was quite nice. No massive hype but I'm definitely interested in the 11 max enough to look forward to some hands on impressions. Think you're spot on though, the upgrades are so slight these days, but at least apple seems to have tamed their soaring price structure. I miss the big leaps and big hype.

EDIT: Base model is only 64gb? Ouch.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
As expected very uninspiring new phones. I have a XS from last year and the only incentive is a third camera, a bit extra battery life and a small speed bump. Can't see many going for this unless they ar eupgrading from a much older device.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
iPhone 11 - $699 = £729

What’s the story there then?

One includes sales tax the other one doesn't. Plus, the UK has much better consumer rights than in the US and therefore they will factor this into the price in that they are on the hook for longer (can be up to six years). Finally, the £ to $ rate has plummeted for a few reasons of late.

The 11 actually looks like a reasonable upgrade path to my five year old 6 when it dies. No way was I spending £1,000 on a phone, I think at £779 it's a reasonable price if it lasts for a further five years. Still going to run my 6 into the ground though before moving on.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Same boat as Bozza, I think.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus which is 32 months old. I want to upgrade (for better camera) but finding it really hard to justify the cost.

Hmmmm...

PS I've always been dismissive of 36-month contracts, but with tech moving slower maybe my next phone will last three years.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
iPhone 11 Liquid Retina Display with 'all day battery life'.
I.e. 720p screen loooool.
Now with a wide angle lens (which LG et al were doing 4+ years ago).
'Slow-fies'.

An idiot and his money are easily parted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here