Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sir Geoffrey Boycott

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Oh come on, she fell over and hit her head on the carpet. It's not like he lamped her in the face is it?

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I've met Geoffrey a couple of times, he used to stay in a hotel I worked at.
Once, he arrived with his hand in a brace. I'm astonished at my younger self, but I made a 'joke' about whether he'd been getting punchy again. He laughed, and motioned to his then girlfriend and said she had hit him.
He was arrogant for sure, and repeatedly bragged about how the whole of India revered him.
He supports Man United, which for an archetypal Yorkshire man seemed like heresy. When I asked him why, he simply said 'because they're the best', which they were then, but it says a lot about his character

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
He supports Man United, which for an archetypal Yorkshire man seemed like heresy. When I asked him why, he simply said 'because they're the best', which they were then, but it says a lot about his character

Hopefully this will be the reason that their hyena-like fans will now be deserting them in droves.

I never have any respect for a United fan unless they come from Salford, and even then...very little. It's more sympathy than respect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a French court, you are innocent until proven guilty. just the same as you are in the UK. He instantly appealed but was found guilty a second time. He didn't even turn up for the first trial.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/boycott-found-guilty-of-assaulting-woman-friend-1184088.html

Lord forgive me, for I know not what I do posting a link from such a source, but in balancing the Boycott debate (despite the "Boycott, a columnist for Telegraph Sport"):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/11922112/Geoffrey-Boycott-must-be-knighted-after-new-evidence-points-to-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lord forgive me, for I know not what I do posting a link from such a source, but in balancing the Boycott debate (despite the "Boycott, a columnist for Telegraph Sport"):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/11922112/Geoffrey-Boycott-must-be-knighted-after-new-evidence-points-to-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

2015 and yet he still wasn't knighted. I don't believe the other women who said he was a gentleman. No other names nor direct quotes.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Hmmm, another dodgy Yorkshire man gets a knighthood. I thought they would have learnt their lesson after a certain marathon running D.J.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think I can help here.

a) The honours list is a waste of time and not to be taken remotely seriously as it mixes people worthy of genuine respect with some people who are least deserving of any accolade, from immoral robbers to kiddy fiddlers.
b) Teresa May is utterly incompetent. It is no surprise she has picked this absolute tosser for an honour. I'm only surprised she hasn't scanned recent footballers and picked out John Terry for a knighthood. Maybe BoZo will do that in a year or two.

Spot on.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The honours system desperately needs an overhaul, its lost a lot of credibility in recent years. Some shocking appointments...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Oh come on, she fell over and hit her head on the carpet. It's not like he lamped her in the face is it?

Twenty times.

He was my cricketing hero growing up but what he was convicted of is inexcusable and would, you would think, bar someone from getting any sort of recognition of this sort. Must be testing the ground for Paul Gascoigne.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I quite like that he talks with clarity about complicated issues (at least in cricketing terms) and I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he says (again, only in cricket).

Criminal convictions should be a bar to a knighthood though. Especially one like this.

This power of patronage should be taken out of the hands of politicians

I understand Boycott was a good player, but if was going to be knighted on the strength of this it would have been done 20 years ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I quite like that he talks with clarity about complicated issues (at least in cricketing terms) and I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he says (again, only in cricket).

Criminal convictions should be a bar to a knighthood though. Especially one like this.

This power of patronage should be taken out of the hands of politicians

I understand Boycott was a good player, but if was going to be knighted on the strength of this it would have been done 20 years ago.

I think they've got round that by saying it's for his playing career and services to broadcasting.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Twenty times.

He was my cricketing hero growing up but what he was convicted of is inexcusable and would, you would think, bar someone from getting any sort of recognition of this sort. Must be testing the ground for Paul Gascoigne.

Reminds me of the old joke. 'What do you say to a woman with 2 black eyes' 'nothing, you've told her twice already' Clearly, Sir Geoff had to tell her 18 more.

It says something that I'm not even surprised anymore than honours are bestowed on the likes of punchey Geoff. He'd fail security clearances for a variety of jobs based on that. How on earth is it appropriate to Knight him?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
People generally feel very uncomfortable with outspoken people. He has as much right to the gong as Ian Botham. Good for him.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Proof if ever it was needed that she should never have been Prime Minister.
What the flippin eck goes on in that woman's head.
Absolutely chuffin useless and has left a whole load of problems in her wake, like police and prison wardens numbers for example.
She really makes my piss boil, With Johnson there is now no need for me to use the kettle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here