Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sir Geoffrey Boycott

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There was a certain breed of Yorkshiremen of his era who were just awful human beings. As a kid I remember going to Yorkshire for holidays when my divorced mother was going out with a guy she’d met from Bradford (he had come down to watch his team play at the Goldstone). He spent all his time in the pub and was as rude as he possibly could be to anyone except his mates. Thank the Lord she saw what he was and got out of the relationship. Boycott is a foul mouthed self opinionated bully whose focus goes no further than the end of his nose. He may have been good at Cricket - so what? He will eventually rot in hell.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I do wonder if Mr Boycott knows how he comes across when he does his "professional Yorkshireman" (aka tw@t) act. It must be really wearing to have to be quite so rude and offensive to everybody all the time.

It maybe he is what he is and doesn't care - which is just as unpleasant.

I suspect the latter. But both scream Yorkshire stereotype.

He was pretty useless against the West Indian quicks is the only thing I can remember, “that” Michael Holding over.

Good in the 77 Ashes. What else were his real career highlights? Genuinely asking as I remember the stats but not much else apart from that one season

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
He’s a bit of an old dinosaur. Quote. “ Why do they need to ask these difficult questions when it’s a day I should be enjoying” ???

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
But when a certain Mr Stokes comes up for some form of gong/ award will his violent tendencies be conveniently ignored. Can't help thinking this is more about him being a rather stereotypical blunt Yorkshireman!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I think I can help here.

a) The honours list is a waste of time and not to be taken remotely seriously as it mixes people worthy of genuine respect with some people who are least deserving of any accolade, from immoral robbers to kiddy fiddlers.
b) Teresa May is utterly incompetent. It is no surprise she has picked this absolute tosser for an honour. I'm only surprised she hasn't scanned recent footballers and picked out John Terry for a knighthood. Maybe BoZo will do that in a year or two.

Agree with all of this.

He was pretty useless against the West Indian quicks is the only thing I can remember, “that” Michael Holding over.

Good in the 77 Ashes. What else were his real career highlights? Genuinely asking as I remember the stats but not much else apart from that one season

Someone else told me the 71 Ashes - before my time though

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Didn't he get multiple centuries in the West Indies against the likes of Holding, Roberts and Garner, and he was either late 30s or 40 at the time?

Snatch your hand off for an England opener that looked like hitting 22 centuries and finish on an average of 47 - that's a better average than Cook finished on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The honours system desperately needs an overhaul, its lost a lot of credibility in recent years. Some shocking appointments...

In recent years?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

As I recall, he scored his 100th First Class century at Headingly in a Test Match, not 100% sure but think he brought the 100 up with a drive for 4 through extra cover.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He was a batsmen who valued his wicket similar to his life. Not spectacular, slow and steady.

Exactly what England were missing in the recent Ashes series.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
His ‘dinosaur’ attitude towards women summed up by the radio interview currently on the BBC front page, him regularly calling the female presenter ‘love’

It’s a Yorkshire thing, Yorkshire women call other women that and we don’t scream Daily Mail. If anything we’re showing regional ignorance and intolerance if we demand they curb their dialect rather than accepting it for what it is: hundreds of years old term of affection and or common noun. How ever got to a point where luv is offensive I don’t know. Had to explain this to a colleague once who being uptight and Mrs Southern was incandescent with rage after a new colleague from Midlands kept calling her this with no offence or malice intended. Eventually she calmed down and I told her to keep her knickers on and go get me a cuppa tea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s a Yorkshire thing, Yorkshire women call other women that and we don’t scream Daily Mail. If anything we’re showing regional ignorance and intolerance if we demand they curb their dialect rather than accepting it for what it is: hundreds of years old term of affection and or common noun. How ever got to a point where luv is offensive I don’t know. Had to explain this to a colleague once who being uptight and Mrs Southern was incandescent with rage after a new colleague from Midlands kept calling her this with no offence or malice intended. Eventually she calmed down and I told her to keep her knickers on and go get me a cuppa tea.

Bollocks was he using it as a term of affection. He was being utterly patronising. "Now look love, you silly woman, let me tell thee ow' it is". You could practically hear him rolling his eyes in the interview.

When you're being interviewed, you don't call the woman "love". Its a way of talking down to someone, or "mansplaining". He uses it to belittle, because he's GEOFF BOYCOTT, and you're just some bird with a mic. The bloke is insufferable.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
As I recall, he scored his 100th First Class century at Headingly in a Test Match, not 100% sure but think he brought the 100 up with a drive for 4 through extra cover.

I watched his 100th hundred live on TV, and I recall it was a drive for 4 through long-on. But it was 40+ years ago, so you may well be right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bollocks was he using it as a term of affection. He was being utterly patronising. "Now look love, you silly woman, let me tell thee ow' it is". You could practically hear him rolling his eyes in the interview.

When you're being interviewed, you don't call the woman "love". Its a way of talking down to someone, or "mansplaining". He uses it to belittle, because he's GEOFF BOYCOTT, and you're just some bird with a mic. The bloke is insufferable.

It's more of a Leeds thing than a Yorkshire thing, and Boycott is from Wakefield. In Sheffield it's duck.

Easy 10, is right. He was being deliberately patronising.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I watched his 100th hundred live on TV, and I recall it was a drive for 4 through long-on. But it was 40+ years ago, so you may well be right.
My bad, yes you were right, through long on for four. Just found the vid, boy has Headingley changed!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's more of a Leeds thing than a Yorkshire thing, and Boycott is from Wakefield. In Sheffield it's duck.

Easy 10, is right. He was being deliberately patronising.

Bloke I knew was from Stoke! It’s just positively rampant north of Watford!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I was in Greece on hols. recently and sat next to a few middle-aged/old Yorkshire people at a restaurant. The topic of conversation
inevitably turned to footie. All was going well until we had left the table and heard: "don't go anywhere near the
gay hotel". Summed up the typical attitude of many in certain parts of the country (Yorkshire included) - backward, narrow-minded and
crass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here