Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women first home game of the WSL season Sunday 15th Sept vs Chelsea

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Today's attendance - 1,352.

Tottenham v Liverpool - 996.
Reading v Man City - 897.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No Laura Rafferty?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did'nt she miss the Northern Ireland game due to a shoulder injury.

Just looked on her Twitter, she’s just had an cruciate ligament op.....ouch. Won’t be seeing her in the stripes for a while.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The FA is urging fans to attend a women's match at any level of the pyramid over it's first Women's Football Weekend on 16-17 November.

Must admit I'm sick of being lectured about not going to Women's Football. They can offer all the free tickets and travel they like, but I'm just not interested. There's a lot of things you can't say in public any more. Being a Men's football fan with no interest in Women's Football will soon have to be kept a dark secret, unsaid but to all except close friends and family.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The FA is urging fans to attend a women's match at any level of the pyramid over it's first Women's Football Weekend on 16-17 November.

Must admit I'm sick of being lectured about not going to Women's Football. They can offer all the free tickets and travel they like, but I'm just not interested. There's a lot of things you can't say in public any more. Being a Men's football fan with no interest in Women's Football will soon have to be kept a dark secret, unsaid but to all except close friends and family.

You’ll die off one day fella, leaving the world to more enlightened creatures. Apparently the male dinosaurs couldn’t stand women’s football either, something about the horns on the female stegosaurus being sharper than the male’s and so whenever they went up for headers they kept cracking the big round rocks they used for balls.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Ha ha. I got us Murray’s winning goal away at Bristol Rovers in the Cup as well heading off to the toilets before extra time.

Two days and two annoying results albeit it good ones. But my omen of 1-1 was a good one.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Just back from the match. On a boiling hot day we rode our luck a bit at times and kept giving the ball back to Chelsea which led to increased pressure but the team kept trying to play on the break and got a deserved draw. Did look like we were going to nick the win which would've been nice though after Whelan took her chance well to put us ahead with 8 minutes to go, but Chelsea equalised in injury time. We look a lot stronger at the back this year with Walsh in goal, and Williams was solid in central defence, but my player of the match was Brazil for harrying the opposition and the threat she gives going forward with her pace.

Albion match report : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1346305/report-albion-earn-impressive-draw-with-chelsea

Argus report : https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17904129.albion-earn-fawsl-point-give-mighty-chelsea-real-scare/

Chelseas view of the match : https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/09/15/women-s-report--brighton-1-chelsea-1?cardIndex=0-0

The result leaves us 8th in the table after 2 games:

Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 17.58.13.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And guess what? You are under no obligation to post on a women's football thread. Fantastic! Your are now....Liberated!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
And guess what? You are under no obligation to post on a women's football thread. Fantastic! Your are now....Liberated!
See what I mean? I posted a less than complimentary comment about women's football on a women's football thread and get a tellling off. Compliments only for the ladies! Which thread should I have used, should I not have said the unsayable or have I been whooshed?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
See what I mean? I posted a less than complimentary comment about women's football on a women's football thread and get a tellling off. Compliments only for the ladies! Which thread should I have used, should I not have said the unsayable or have I been whooshed?

As you merit an answer, probably this thread is more appropriate:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?373237-Women-s-football-on-a-monumental-rise

Zeetha's Albion Women's match threads are probably best left for comments on the Albion Women games themselves rather than making specific points about women's football in general. In truth, we've had a few threads on those things over the last year, so there's been (and remains) ample opportunity to express general opinions on women's football, sustainability, interest levels, media coverage, etc. on these without needing to comment on these match threads. I think that's fair - freedom of speech whilst respecting the OP.

As someone who's been called a misogynist and told to f*ck off on a previous women's football thread for expressing an opinion, I know that sometimes dissenting viewpoints, however well-informed, can be viewed as unwelcome and people respond accordingly, if not always appropriately. So yes, in a sense I do see where you're coming from. And yes, sarcasm and mockery are rarely conducive to conversation. Nevertheless, it's best to keep general opinions away from future match threads for the good of all.

All of that said, it was a very good attendance at Crawley for the Albion when compared with other games and previous seasons. Last year, there was a game with less than 400, so progress has certainly been made. It's a lot more impressive having 1,300+ paying supporters than 25,000 with free entry, even if it doesn't create the sensationalist media headlines. Honest, organic growth wins every time, however long it may take.

Of course, well done to Albion Women for a great result against a Chelsea side packed full of quality internationals. And Millie Bright.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here