Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jesy Nelson Little Mix

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Very sad to read right across the media that the abuse she received on social media was so bad that she attempted suicide, thankfully her then boyfriend found her in time and called the emergency services.

As a parent whose own child, through her own choice, has also been subjected to vile abuse via the trolls, including death threats to both her and other members of my family, the issues thrown up by social media need to be addressed at the highest level.

However another issue has been thrown up re Ms Nelson, if you look at photos of her when she won the X Factor alongside present day ones its clear she's had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, but doesn't that in itself not only play into the hands of the trolls but also send out the wrong message to young girls who may have issues about their own appearance?

Apologies, to any NSC'ers who are not yet parents, this obviously doesn't apply to you at present, but when and if you are lucky enough to have children, I assure you it will.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very sad to read right across the media that the abuse she received on social media was so bad that she attempted suicide, thankfully her then boyfriend found her in time and called the emergency services.

As a parent whose own child, through her own choice, has also been subjected to vile abuse via the trolls, including death threats to both her and other members of my family, the issues thrown up by social media need to be addressed at the highest level.

However another issue has been thrown up re Ms Nelson, if you look at photos of her when she won the X Factor alongside present day ones its clear she's had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, but doesn't that in itself not only play into the hands of the trolls but also send out the wrong message to young girls who may have issues about their own appearance?

Apologies, to any NSC'ers who are not yet parents, this obviously doesn't apply to you at present, but when and if you are lucky enough to have children, I assure you it will.

It may sound simplistic but staying off social media, unless you have skin thicker than Dougie, would seem to be the answer

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It may sound simplistic but staying off social media, unless you have skin thicker than Dougie, would seem to be the answer

I think that's probably difficult for younger people.

I'm 34 and I grew up just as social media was kicking off; we caught the slow bit of the wave and we were still all over it. I can't imagine how much more intrinsic it is to the life of young people today.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sorry, but that's a bit like blaming women for dressing up in a certain way and inviting predators. I respect that it wasn't your intention to do so but the point remains.

The issue lays fair and square with the trolls. Only they are to blame.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The Childless NSCers live in the same society as the parents.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
....unless you have skin thicker than Dougie....
:lolol:

I have a 19 year old Son who is on there but can take it or leave it, and just laughs off the trolls. I also have a 20 year old Daughter who takes it all FAR too seriously.

I've tried many times to reason that the people (and ultimately, strangers) she's trying to impress mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What they think has no benefit to her whatsoever in life, aside from hitting a f*cking 'like' button on their device which expends around 0.02 calories and is usually done with an expressionless look on their face. She's had her lips filled, hair extensions done, and wants to look like every other dullard 'celebrity' who does nothing apart from take effing selfies on YouTube and Instagram - yet, she's got a sparkling personality, is intelligent and hard working and doesn't need to prove anything..

The trolls are usually jealous, spiteful people who already hate themselves and are just looking to vent. Someone rich and famous, to them, is fair game. You'll always get them. Remember wearing fresh new trainers at school and getting them stamped on? Remember having a lovely new school bag and having it drawn on? Same thing, different era and a different way of being jealous.

As for Ms Nelson, I do think the whole celebrity circus and the bubble they live in can detach people from reality. Add this to an already unstable girl and you can create problems.. As for cosmetic surgery, it's now as normal as popping to the hairdressers.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And what about Ms Nelson's social responsibility? Having loads of cosmetic surgery and dressing like a hooker seems to be their selling points that largely outweighs their musical talent?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
And what about Ms Nelson's social responsibility? Having loads of cosmetic surgery and dressing like a hooker seems to be their selling points that largely outweighs their musical talent?

With an estimated net worth of 3 mil at a still young age she does appear to have done OK with the "talent" at her disposal .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Middle-aged man comments on young woman online. Good example of the trolls she talks about

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Classic victim blaming.

It goes back to the days of, what was she wearing to cause her to get raped? She was asking for it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not at all. Middle aged man seriously wondering about the influences on my young daughter actually.

Of course it is, you would not say that to her - or any womans face in the street so why say it online? Troll.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think programmes like Love Island are cancerous to society. My older sister has a plethora of psychological disorders and is addicted to trash TV like that rubbish. It totally warps her perspective on the world and I'm certain she's not alone. Everything in her life is a melodrama because her behaviour largely mirrors what she sees on the trash TV she watches. It's her choice to watch the programmes, of course, and I'm not advocated banning anything. I just find the "reality" TV to be utterly, utterly tragic.

I spend a lot of time on Instagram, and I find it a very interesting insight into people's lives and what they're willing to share for the gratification of however many "likes". I also find it interesting when users will focus on the negative commentary, totally ignoring the 90% positive comments they get in order to address the "haters". Obviously, conflict will always be better drama and more entertaining than everyone thanking everyone else and living in some phony world where everyone gets along famously.

My take is that social media is a blessing, and a curse. To quote Ana Johnson in the song, "We Are" - we've never been so many, and we've never been so alone.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I got trolled by the chairman of my local football club in his programme notes on Saturday. Hasn't driven me to suicidal thoughts just yet but I'm pretty miffed by it.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Have to say I agree with both viewpoints on this. I would point out that until very recently I didn't know who little mix were. When I did see them on some trashy Tv programme I was shocked at what they were wearing and how they are supposedly role models for young girls. I don't think it is really appropriate and record companies should really do something about it.

I recently concluded that young women have a really tough time and I don't think people like little mix and other so called celebs make it any easier. They selfie culture with trout pout that young girls do all the time has made me laugh at times but I get why they do it. Its for the 'likes' and the nice comments but for every one of those there is someone who is ready to give them a real hard time. How life was simpler when this sort of interaction wasn't part of the norm.

As for the lady in question she should be free to look how she wants, she is successful and has made her dreams come true. I wouldn't give trolls a second thought and if it were to ever resurface that she was struggling with this element the easiest thing to do would be to remove yourself and focus on her work.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Of course it is, you would not say that to her - or any womans face in the street so why say it online? Troll.

Actually i'd have no hesitation in putting the point to her. And if I'm a troll what does your antagonistic debating style make you?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm with Icy on this one. Stay off social media. Kids have next to nothing in social skills these days. I dread to think what would happen when the big solar flair finally hits us!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Classic victim blaming.

It goes back to the days of, what was she wearing to cause her to get raped? She was asking for it.

Not the same at all though is it?

You are trying to compare rape to a few harsh words on t'internet? Not the same thing at all.

A rape victim is physically close to her attacker and with probably no means of escaping the assault. There is no way out for the rape victim. All somebody who gets upset by comments on social media has to do is TURN IT OFF! Problem solved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here