Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jesy Nelson Little Mix

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There are vile people in the world and I can quite understand how upsetting for some of today's young (and not so young) and sensitive people it could be to be trolled.
People post nasty things on the internet that they wouldn't say to someone in a face to face discussion.
That goes for NSC too. There seems to be an increasingly nasty edge to some of the discussions on here, particularly on say, the Brexit thread. There is little or no tolerance of others with differing views and insults fly around from person to person, between bods who haven't even met and they come over as if they hate each other.
Very sad.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Very sad to read right across the media that the abuse she received on social media was so bad that she attempted suicide, thankfully her then boyfriend found her in time and called the emergency services.

As a parent whose own child, through her own choice, has also been subjected to vile abuse via the trolls, including death threats to both her and other members of my family, the issues thrown up by social media need to be addressed at the highest level.

However another issue has been thrown up re Ms Nelson, if you look at photos of her when she won the X Factor alongside present day ones its clear she's had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, but doesn't that in itself not only play into the hands of the trolls but also send out the wrong message to young girls who may have issues about their own appearance?

Apologies, to any NSC'ers who are not yet parents, this obviously doesn't apply to you at present, but when and if you are lucky enough to have children, I assure you it will.
Maybe she could get off her high horse and get a 9-5 like most people? This clamouring for feeling sorry about yourself when someone 'online' has had a pop at you is ridiculous!

I remember being at school and having the odd kicking here and there, I just got on with life, got a job, and got married.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not the same at all though is it?

You are trying to compare rape to a few harsh words on t'internet? Not the same thing at all.

A rape victim is physically close to her attacker and with probably no means of escaping the assault. There is no way out for the rape victim. All somebody who gets upset by comments on social media has to do is TURN IT OFF! Problem solved.

How do you know a rape victim is physically close to the attacker (men get raped too, doesn't anyone criticise what they wear?)
Rape victims have been followed and then attacked, so the rapist has made their decision before getting physically close.

It has been heard in a courtroom, that a rape victim walking down the road, wearing 'provocative clothing' was 'asking for it'.

As for social media, here on Nsc, was a thread ful of beautiful women, most of whom are scantily clad, all on social media, so they deserve to be trolled as well?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There are vile people in the world and I can quite understand how upsetting for some of today's young (and not so young) and sensitive people it could be to be trolled.
People post nasty things on the internet that they wouldn't say to someone in a face to face discussion.
That goes for NSC too. There seems to be an increasingly nasty edge to some of the discussions on here, particularly on say, the Brexit thread. There is little or no tolerance of others with differing views and insults fly around from person to person, between bods who haven't even met and they come over as if they hate each other.
Very sad.

Totally and utterly agree with this. It saddens me how rude people are on here to each other. If people spoke to me face to dace the way some converse on with each other on here we would be fighting no doubt about it. You can disagree with someone thats fine but why the rudeness and threats I just don't get it? Twitter is even worse, how sad a life must you have to bother telling a complete stranger she's fat or ugly or short or whatever, get a grip and show some respect or at the very least keep your snide comments to yourself. I think Little Mix's music is shite but good luck to those who like it, I'm sure they wouldn't like my taste either. So ****ing what?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
How do you know a rape victim is physically close to the attacker (men get raped too, doesn't anyone criticise what they wear?)
Rape victims have been followed and then attacked, so the rapist has made their decision before getting physically close.

It has been heard in a courtroom, that a rape victim walking down the road, wearing 'provocative clothing' was 'asking for it'.

As for social media, here on Nsc, was a thread ful of beautiful women, most of whom are scantily clad, all on social media, so they deserve to be trolled as well?

Thankfully the thread full of beautiful women is behind us now as it is generally accepted that it was misogynistic and are now moving towards gender neutral reassignment in our own lives .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Maybe she could get off her high horse and get a 9-5 like most people? This clamouring for feeling sorry about yourself when someone 'online' has had a pop at you is ridiculous!

I remember being at school and having the odd kicking here and there, I just got on with life, got a job, and got married.

Quite right, these younger people court fame and love the limelight until it all goes wrong. There is always the option to ignore social media.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Quite right, these younger people court fame and love the limelight until it all goes wrong. There is always the option to ignore social media.

This. While I don't condone the trolls at all, if you're going to seek fame and possible fortune on any of these reality shows you need to be prepared for the trolls. Hell, there's some on here - look at the abuse BG gets but thankfully he has a skin thicker than a herd of rhinos.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Very sad to read right across the media that the abuse she received on social media was so bad that she attempted suicide, thankfully her then boyfriend found her in time and called the emergency services.

As a parent whose own child, through her own choice, has also been subjected to vile abuse via the trolls, including death threats to both her and other members of my family, the issues thrown up by social media need to be addressed at the highest level.

However another issue has been thrown up re Ms Nelson, if you look at photos of her when she won the X Factor alongside present day ones its clear she's had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, but doesn't that in itself not only play into the hands of the trolls but also send out the wrong message to young girls who may have issues about their own appearance?

Apologies, to any NSC'ers who are not yet parents, this obviously doesn't apply to you at present, but when and if you are lucky enough to have children, I assure you it will.
What would you say should be done as punishment for these trolls because you have criticised her looks and choice of cosmetic surgery. Two things that can be deeply hurtful in a suicidal person. What should your punishment be for posting this on social media?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very sad.

NSC is a sanctuary of civility compared to the Argus Comments section. There's some real sick puppies on there, and no moderators to rein them in either.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
:lolol:

I have a 19 year old Son who is on there but can take it or leave it, and just laughs off the trolls. I also have a 20 year old Daughter who takes it all FAR too seriously.

I've tried many times to reason that the people (and ultimately, strangers) she's trying to impress mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What they think has no benefit to her whatsoever in life, aside from hitting a f*cking 'like' button on their device which expends around 0.02 calories and is usually done with an expressionless look on their face. She's had her lips filled, hair extensions done, and wants to look like every other dullard 'celebrity' who does nothing apart from take effing selfies on YouTube and Instagram - yet, she's got a sparkling personality, is intelligent and hard working and doesn't need to prove anything..

Want to give me her number?

:wink:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I got trolled by the chairman of my local football club in his programme notes on Saturday. Hasn't driven me to suicidal thoughts just yet but I'm pretty miffed by it.

Give us some more info - that sounds JUICY!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I have little sympathy for those who enter the reality tv world leaving them vulnerable to idiots on social media.

If you court publicity through your physical appearance then it is all about promoting an image. Trolls will always exist because there is no accountability - they can hide. Sad and very wrong,but true.

If the trade off is money and publicity then the inevitable downside has to be accepted. It’s how modern society works I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m sympathetic to the recipients.

Jealous and spiteful saddo’s, hiding from afar, typing their bile.

Just because someone’s in the limelight through choice, that should not be the green light for attacks and hate.

A few years ago I was at a lunch where the speaker was an inspirational polar explorer. He told us that he’d had to close his social media accounts, because of trolls derailing the theme of his threads. There are some sick f*ckers out there.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have little sympathy for those who enter the reality tv world leaving them vulnerable to idiots on social media.

If you court publicity through your physical appearance then it is all about promoting an image. Trolls will always exist because there is no accountability - they can hide. Sad and very wrong,but true.

If the trade off is money and publicity then the inevitable downside has to be accepted. It’s how modern society works I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sure when she was teenage popstar wannabe she didn't know quite what she was getting herself into. Even if she had considered the dark side of fame, how was she to know the effect it would have on her? I'm sure eating disorders and attempted suicide weren't part of her vision for the future. Seems a little harsh to not be a little sympathetic.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
NSC is a sanctuary of civility compared to the Argus Comments section. There's some real sick puppies on there, and no moderators to rein them in either.

And compared to the comments section of the Daily Mail, the Argus contributors are like the contestants on University Challenge.

D

Deleted member 2719

I’m sympathetic to the recipients.

Jealous and spiteful saddo’s, hiding from afar, typing their bile.

Just because someone’s in the limelight through choice, that should not be the green light for attacks and hate.

A few years ago I was at a lunch where the speaker was an inspirational polar explorer. He told us that he’d had to close his social media accounts, because of trolls derailing the theme of his threads. There are some sick f*ckers out there.

Totally agree, I have had a few bully boys, throwing insults and name-calling and even wishing death on me, just because I have a different opinion to them on Brexit all over on the Brexit thread, I won't stoop to their depth of anger and hate, and they also won't stop me having an opinion, but they do all tend to hang around there and wait for their chance to jump in for the bundle, pathetic really.
But I suppose they were like that at school also, unless they were, of course, the school prefects!

It surprising how jealous people become when someone is perceived to be doing better than themselves, it's like he has a range rover lets key it, she's making a load of money as a successful singer let's go for her Achilles heel.

Weak people that need a serious hiding!

Last edited by a moderator:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

You're suggesting women who have- for example- breast enlargement surgery are a bad influence on young girls?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here