Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Jesy Nelson Little Mix

2 Not allowed!
    Very sad to read right across the media that the abuse she received on social media was so bad that she attempted suicide, thankfully her then boyfriend found her in time and called the emergency services.

As a parent whose own child, through her own choice, has also been subjected to vile abuse via the trolls, including death threats to both her and other members of my family, the issues thrown up by social media need to be addressed at the highest level.

However another issue has been thrown up re Ms Nelson, if you look at photos of her when she won the X Factor alongside present day ones its clear she's had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, but doesn't that in itself not only play into the hands of the trolls but also send out the wrong message to young girls who may have issues about their own appearance?

Apologies, to any NSC'ers who are not yet parents, this obviously doesn't apply to you at present, but when and if you are lucky enough to have children, I assure you it will.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

9 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Rider View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Very sad to read right across the media that the abuse she received on social media was so bad that she attempted suicide, thankfully her then boyfriend found her in time and called the emergency services.

As a parent whose own child, through her own choice, has also been subjected to vile abuse via the trolls, including death threats to both her and other members of my family, the issues thrown up by social media need to be addressed at the highest level.

However another issue has been thrown up re Ms Nelson, if you look at photos of her when she won the X Factor alongside present day ones its clear she's had a fair bit of cosmetic surgery, but doesn't that in itself not only play into the hands of the trolls but also send out the wrong message to young girls who may have issues about their own appearance?

Apologies, to any NSC'ers who are not yet parents, this obviously doesn't apply to you at present, but when and if you are lucky enough to have children, I assure you it will.
      It may sound simplistic but staying off social media, unless you have skin thicker than Dougie, would seem to be the answer
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      It may sound simplistic but staying off social media, unless you have skin thicker than Dougie, would seem to be the answer
      I think that's probably difficult for younger people.

I'm 34 and I grew up just as social media was kicking off; we caught the slow bit of the wave and we were still all over it. I can't imagine how much more intrinsic it is to the life of young people today.
      'Football implies the desire to suffer' - Theodor Adorno
      Football V Homophobia | Football v Homophobia in association with Pride Sports
      ESU Zimmer Crew

11 Not allowed!

Sorry, but that's a bit like blaming women for dressing up in a certain way and inviting predators. I respect that it wasn't your intention to do so but the point remains.

The issue lays fair and square with the trolls. Only they are to blame.
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      Was that when we took Bejams....?

4 Not allowed!

The Childless NSCers live in the same society as the parents.
      Mon nez est en SW6... Knocky's Nose's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      ....unless you have skin thicker than Dougie....

I have a 19 year old Son who is on there but can take it or leave it, and just laughs off the trolls. I also have a 20 year old Daughter who takes it all FAR too seriously.

I've tried many times to reason that the people (and ultimately, strangers) she's trying to impress mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. What they think has no benefit to her whatsoever in life, aside from hitting a f*cking 'like' button on their device which expends around 0.02 calories and is usually done with an expressionless look on their face. She's had her lips filled, hair extensions done, and wants to look like every other dullard 'celebrity' who does nothing apart from take effing selfies on YouTube and Instagram - yet, she's got a sparkling personality, is intelligent and hard working and doesn't need to prove anything..

The trolls are usually jealous, spiteful people who already hate themselves and are just looking to vent. Someone rich and famous, to them, is fair game. You'll always get them. Remember wearing fresh new trainers at school and getting them stamped on? Remember having a lovely new school bag and having it drawn on? Same thing, different era and a different way of being jealous.

As for Ms Nelson, I do think the whole celebrity circus and the bubble they live in can detach people from reality. Add this to an already unstable girl and you can create problems.. As for cosmetic surgery, it's now as normal as popping to the hairdressers.
      Ce Qui Donne?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      And what about Ms Nelson's social responsibility? Having loads of cosmetic surgery and dressing like a hooker seems to be their selling points that largely outweighs their musical talent?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by METALMICKY View Post
      And what about Ms Nelson's social responsibility? Having loads of cosmetic surgery and dressing like a hooker seems to be their selling points that largely outweighs their musical talent?
      With an estimated net worth of 3 mil at a still young age she does appear to have done OK with the "talent" at her disposal .
      Members

9 Not allowed!
      Middle-aged man comments on young woman online. Good example of the trolls she talks about
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

4 Not allowed!
      Classic victim blaming.

It goes back to the days of, what was she wearing to cause her to get raped? She was asking for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.