Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I was being facetious about the cheques!!

As you say, it's people's choice whether or not to have a bank card but it is equally the clubs choice to move to a cashless stadium, as several others are already doing. If it is just choice about having a card then the consequences are that you won't be able to buy at the Amex. No doubt the club will monitor any effect on loss of business.

I understand that and it would have been far more honest of the club to put it in those terms rather than attempting to sell the idea as a benefit to fans. There are lots of things the club have the right to do to increase profitability - large and small - that doesn’t mean to say they should always be supported in such actions.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Used the middle kiosk in the WSU at half time that was card only, it wasnt any quicker as the chap operating the till moved slower than an arthritic tortoise and the guy infront of me in the queue decided to have a chat with his mate the moment it was his turn to be served instead of ordering what he was after.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I used the middle kiosk in the NS on sat and it was undoubtedly quicker both pre-match and at half time.

In indignation on this thread is laughable. Threats of boycotting etc :lolol:

I haven't heard one good reason why someone NEEDS to pay by cash, probably because there isnt one.

Stop being the buffer for positive change.

If people boycott then the queues will get even quicker! Works for me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Paying by cheque never was a choice so there isn’t a question of removing a choice. The vast majority of adults can get a bank account and get a card - that doesn’t mean everyone has or wants one - their is a significant minority that don’t - that’s their choice.

There was a recent government review on this subject that didn’t recommend action to force all businesses to accept cash but they did recommend that in certain sectors cash must be acceptable - prescriptions, utilities, council tax/rent etc. - in other words it recognised that there are circumstance where people may have some cash in their pocket but no facilities to pay via a bank account.

I hope you are never in a situation where you have no money in the bank nor credit on your cards but have cash in your pocket but shops have decided they won’t accept cash.

I appreciate what you're saying and you have a point. But this is food at a football match we're talking about, not some essential life transaction. If you haven't got a credit card or bank account (or you have a bank account but with no cash in it) then you're not the sort of supporter the football industry wants these days. As has been pointed out (many times on this thread) the target market will all have cards.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That was the case in the NS. Very slow staff in mind and body, they wandered around at a snails pace and looked to be suffering in the heat. Often waiting for their colleagues to pull the pints.

How odd, I was impressed with the staff Saturday. Got to the NS about 2.15 and got served straight away at the left hand bar that still takes cash. At half time, no queue at all at the right hand bar that still takes cash

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I appreciate what you're saying and you have a point. But this is food at a football match we're talking about, not some essential life transaction. If you haven't got a credit card or bank account (or you have a bank account but with no cash in it) then you're not the sort of supporter the football industry wants these days. As has been pointed out (many times on this thread) the target market will all have cards.

To be honest if you dont have any money in your bank account, should you really be buying over priced food and drink at the football in the first place.

Most arguments against in this thread, simply aren't a real concern and people need to accept its happening and work round it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
To be honest if you dont have any money in your bank account, should you really be buying over priced food and drink at the football in the first place.

Most arguments against in this thread, simply aren't a real concern and people need to accept its happening and work round it.

You sound like my old bank manager! :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How odd, I was impressed with the staff Saturday. Got to the NS about 2.15 and got served straight away at the left hand bar that still takes cash. At half time, no queue at all at the right hand bar that still takes cash

I believe you, but 20 minutes later at the very same counter we queued for ages as every transaction in front of us eg someone buying just 2 pints took epochs. Staff waited for their colleagues to pour. Didn’t raise my blood pressure, but painful to watch the ineffectiveness of the operation at that time.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I believe you, but 20 minutes later at the very same counter we queued for ages as every transaction in front of us eg someone buying just 2 pints took epochs. Staff waited for their colleagues to pour. Didn’t raise my blood pressure, but painful to watch the ineffectiveness of the operation at that time.

yeah, guess it's the luck of the draw ... oh I was short changed though (by 20p), but left it as it would have caused a bottleneck and in the past I've been given too much change.
I do wonder if going cashless is a cost cutting measure that will include trimming back on staff numbers too

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The kiosk at the back of the NW corner was even worse than usual this week, only one person serving and a hastily written CASH ONLY sign.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I know its sometimes luck of the draw but, christ, the service in WSU for the last couple of games has been a shocker.

I'm struggling to be bothered to even buy a drink due to that bottle top ban but as the last two games have been held in TROPICAL conditions I had a proper thirst on saturday.

Pre match, I witnessed a protracted exchange between the woman on the till and the woman pulling the pints - it needed about 5 or 6 clarifications between them before the woman pulling the pints then promptly pulled the wrong pint. That took ages.

I then picked the wrong queue at half time whereby the queue was moving at snails pace with the lad behind the till seemingly defeated with every transaction. Then, I think someone had gone off without their Mars Bar so he not only left his till in hot pursuit of the customer - he then left the kiosk altogether and went off on a search down the concourse. A lovely thought on his behalf but....

£2.40 for a ambient coke without a lid. I don't think I'll bother next time - cashless or otherwise.

Moan over, carry on...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
yeah, guess it's the luck of the draw ... oh I was short changed though (by 20p), but left it as it would have caused a bottleneck and in the past I've been given too much change.
I do wonder if going cashless is a cost cutting measure that will include trimming back on staff numbers too

They won't trim the numbers, they're more likely to sell more instead I reckon - shorter queues and faster service will encourage more people to eat/drink more. I've often fancied a drink but taken one look at the queue and decided not to bother. It's literally impossible to get anything at half time without missing some of the game.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I don't believe it is anything like Brexit as a cashless society is inevitable! The question is how long it takes to reach that position. There are already more debit card transactions than cash and debit cards were only introduced 30 years ago where as cash has been king for several millennia!

I suspect the gap between the number of transaction will continue on it's current path.

As for not having a debit card, there aren't many valid arguments. Banking apps allow you to see exactly what is in your account without having to go to a cash machine. People will adapt.

Not everyone is eligible to have a bank card not everyone is up on "apps", or has a smart phone with instant acess to thew imternet 24/7 this is where the assumption is.
People "assume" everyone has a bank account that enables them to have a bank card
and "assume" everyone has a smartphone and use "apps".
Yes i agree, it is the vast majority of people do but not everyone has and does.

I can see a point where a case will be brought claiming discrimination because they can't use the facilities because they don't have a bank card.
I reiterate, it will be the minority i accept that but in today's world of human rights everyone has to be included so the discrimination card can't be used.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Of course I accept what’s happening - doesn’t mean to say I have to like it!

Who are you or I to say how someone should be spending their money? Many people pay using a credit card, should we comment about that?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not everyone is eligible to have a bank card not everyone is up on "apps", or has a smart phone with instant acess to thew imternet 24/7 this is where the assumption is.
People "assume" everyone has a bank account that enables them to have a bank card
and "assume" everyone has a smartphone and use "apps".
Yes i agree, it is the vast majority of people do but not everyone has and does.

I can see a point where a case will be brought claiming discrimination because they can't use the facilities because they don't have a bank card.
I reiterate, it will be the minority i accept that but in today's world of human rights everyone has to be included so the discrimination card can't be used.

In that case why they haven't a bank account might be a pertinent question. You also don't have to use an app but you can if you want to keep an eye on what you spend. You can have a prepaid cards, absolutely no different to having cash in your pocket. And these people that don't have a card, I assume the only way they ever get cash is when they go to the bank to draw it out? Of course, there may be those that don't want a bank account, ie only ever work cash in hand, makes it easier to avoid the tax man.

Now I know there will be pensioners who get their cash from the post office each week but if that is the case, if that is their only income then I would be a bit puzzled how they are affording a ticket to a game, let alone the over priced food and drink?

What it seems to be coming down to is people resisting change for the sake of resisting change.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
In that case why they haven't a bank account might be a pertinent question. You also don't have to use an app but you can if you want to keep an eye on what you spend. You can have a prepaid cards, absolutely no different to having cash in your pocket. And these people that don't have a card, I assume the only way they ever get cash is when they go to the bank to draw it out? Of course, there may be those that don't want a bank account, ie only ever work cash in hand, makes it easier to avoid the tax man.

Now I know there will be pensioners who get their cash from the post office each week but if that is the case, if that is their only income then I would be a bit puzzled how they are affording a ticket to a game, let alone the over priced food and drink?

And even at Brighton's ticket prices, a pensioner (especially one with SERPS) could afford a season ticket if they wanted it badly enough and were willing to budget accordingly.

What it seems to be coming down to is people resisting change for the sake of resisting change.
The reason for resisting use of mobile phone apps is that mobile phones with apps cost a fortune. For people who want to spend £150 or more per year on a mobile phone, fine. What about those of us who don't?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course I accept what’s happening - doesn’t mean to say I have to like it!

Who are you or I to say how someone should be spending their money? Many people pay using a credit card, should we comment about that?

I spend virtually every penny I can on a (contactless) credit card (that costs me nothing), simply to collect hotel loyalty points on it. Gets me at least 3-4 free hotel night stays a year overall, plus upgrades, free breakfasts and the like.

Kids excepted, I doubt we have barely a single ST holder that doesn’t have a chip and pin card. Away fans will be told in advance that we’re cashless (same as we were for Spurs for example). Anyone else spending north of £40-50 on a match ticket is likely to have a card too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here