Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is discriminatory against us older fans. I am an old fart who will only use cash at the stadium. Still my £20 or so will not make much difference and my attendance expectancy is less than someone younger so why should I expect the club to care about me. I hate the way we are heading.

This old fart prefers not having cash and paying by contactless card.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is discriminatory against us older fans. I am an old fart who will only use cash at the stadium. Still my £20 or so will not make much difference and my attendance expectancy is less than someone younger so why should I expect the club to care about me. I hate the way we are heading.

We ? Virtually every large commercial organisation will be contactless before too long. I hardly ever use cash for anything these days apart from playing cards (builders, painters and plasterers excepted of course :laugh::laugh:). Are you going to stop using you local shop, newsagent etc when they go cashless too ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I always find the attitude of people to be interesting when it comes to any kind of change. Some people consider whether it's going to make their life easier, others think about what they believe they'll believe they'll now be losing out and others just blindly believe they won't be able to adapt to the change. In reality, this is quite a small change if it is embraced. I don't believe it discriminates against older people, only those who discriminate against themselves by deciding that they can't possibly become comfortable tapping their card to the machine. If that's your attitude, then no - you won't adapt and, frankly, no - the club won't miss your individual matchday spend. But don't blame the club for making the change if you take the personal decision not to embrace it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm still not sure why this speeds things up. Is it really much quicker to key in a PIN than hand over some dosh? People make mistakes when they tap in a key in and that will slow things down. And what if the connection's a bit slow?

Bozza omitted the bit where it says the new model will revolve around contactless payments. Bit of a bu99er for the dinosaurs who refuse to trust contactless!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
why not have the same as when we first moved into amex where you could load your season tickets with money in club shop or on line

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I liked the system, there was an auto cash back thing on at the time as well I think. When I lent my mate my season ticket one day (which I subsequently learned was against club policy so would never now do) he drank 7 harveys and ate 3 pies between 1 and 6pm ... all on my card.....texting me each time to tell me how they tasted even better when they were free

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

It isn't discriminating against older fans. At what age do you stop being able to hold a piece of plastic in front of a card machine? If you are capable of getting to the Amex in the first place, I'm guessing paying by contactless card is still within your capability.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm guessing apple and google pay will be supported?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To be fair mate, after some matches I could do with a reminder of what I've spent. Less to do with my age and more to do with my alcohol consumption

To be fair, contactless technology should be forced upon older fans, as it is a greater convenience for them and all other customers around them.

Why would you choose to fiddle around exchanging notes and pennies, when you can simply remove a card from your wallet and press it against a machine? Job done.

There is also a record of the transaction on your monthly statement, which is surely beneficial to older people?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This old fart prefers cash .... I don't want my bank knowing what I'm doing with my money :lolol:

I don't want my bank knowing what I'm doing with their money.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It will be harder to budget for match day. With cash you can set a limit on what you take; with a card you can’t. It’s a scheme for people to part with just that little bit more of their money. Stealthy stuff eh?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can anyone remember the card payment system failing, at the AMEX?

Not saying it won't, but it must be a pretty robust system to deal with a bazillion transactions in the space of 4 or 5 hours.

Any idea if the club has links with a world class leading card provider to help set this up?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It will be harder to budget for match day. With cash you can set a limit on what you take; with a card you can’t. It’s a scheme for people to part with just that little bit more of their money. Stealthy stuff eh?

Banks exist to set spending limits and stuff like that. Non issue

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Nobody’s mentioned what happens if you lose/drop your contactless card.

Lose cash and you know how much you’ve lost - lose a contactless card and you could well end up supplying drinks to a lot of people before you realise you’ve lost it - banks will only refund sales made from the time you report the card missing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here