Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I expect everyone on this thread who is moaning uses an online ticketing system where by the need a card to pay for matchday tickets.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The reason for resisting use of mobile phone apps is that mobile phones with apps cost a fortune. For people who want to spend £150 or more per year on a mobile phone, fine. What about those of us who don't?

Like I said, you don't have to use the app. This is really about whether you have a bank account and a chip and pin card and/or contactless. As you're using the internet, I'm guessing you don't pay your provider cash each month so I assume you have a bank account and I guess you do have either of the above cards.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If only we could load cash onto our season tickets at our leisure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As before, the service is generally very slow, with apparently little or no training.

On numerous occasions I have abandoned refreshment plans due to the never moving queues.

It might be an idea Barbs to come down in disguise on matchday, to see a true 'matchday queuing experience' in the plebs areas.

a7b9d2e62f1ab644a7d9f91a8022151b.jpg

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Might just be me but in Lower west the queues do seem shorter or have less waiting time than last year and more drinks seem pre poured. Still a lot of room for improvement though.
Maybe they could do a Wetherspoons where you could order by phone. At least the WiFi is sorted this season and may be up to the task.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Might just be me but in Lower west the queues do seem shorter or have less waiting time than last year and more drinks seem pre poured. Still a lot of room for improvement though.
Maybe they could do a Wetherspoons where you could order by phone. At least the WiFi is sorted this season and may be up to the task.

Not quite sure how that would work, we're not all sat there at numbered tables are we.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I work in retail with an average sale of £8. Of all sales, 35% are by card and of those around 95% are contactless. I find Santander to be the slowest to roll out new cards but still many people have 'old' cards that have not been updated. Personally, my C/C expired in July and Debit in April thus I've only just gone contactless myself.
So it is quite possible that a few hundred people still don't have new cards.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not quite sure how that would work, we're not all sat there at numbered tables are we.
Well it was a said partly in jest, but if they can create a Dugout area in LW then maybe they could make a collection area. If mankind can put a man on the moon I’m sure someone could come up with a solution :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It does feel as though there is a missed opportunity for some sort of theatre-style pre-ordering for half-time beers though whether that's done manually by queueing and paying before the match, or an app-based solution.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
About this bit though...

"Well, our young staff, many in their first ever job, do an excellent job at all times, including half-time when demand is often at its peak"
HaHa.

I loved being told that they weren't allowed to serve alcohol during half time, and pointing out that the adjacent tills were of course serving it, and then having to wait for a supervisor to clarify.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Could we do the same for the toilet? Ya know where they call your number out :moo:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It does feel as though there is a missed opportunity for some sort of theatre-style pre-ordering for half-time beers though whether that's done manually by queueing and paying before the match, or an app-based solution.

St Marys do this and seemed to work pretty well. You buy token(s) and then collect at half time. They have a chunk of pre-poured pints and then just pour. You handover the tokens so no transaction so fairly quick.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
St Marys do this and seemed to work pretty well. You buy token(s) and then collect at half time. They have a chunk of pre-poured pints and then just pour. You handover the tokens so no transaction so fairly quick.

So you're saying the solution does not involve actual rocket science?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The reason for resisting use of mobile phone apps is that mobile phones with apps cost a fortune. For people who want to spend £150 or more per year on a mobile phone, fine. What about those of us who don't?

This is absolutely not true. All you need is:
  1. an Android phone with NFC (the technology used for phone payments) - e.g. an LG G3 from eBay at about £50 (that's buying outright, and you can sell it again on eBay for about £50 if you want to cash in) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=lg+g3&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
  2. a free Pay As You Go SIM, e.g. GiffGaff - https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards - you'll pay 5p for the <1MB of data you need to make the transaction (or possibly even free, if you can connect to the AMEX WiFi).

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's not the paying that I'm particularly bothered about. It's the receiving of cash. Amex being contactless, I can live with (just as I could if Turf Moor went contactless - happily a long time in the future.) What gets my goat is that idea of all cash being abolished, as has been suggested asa serious option. The idea being that there would be less fraud if everyone had to have wireless bank transactions being especially odd.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This is absolutely not true. All you need is:
  1. an Android phone with NFC (the technology used for phone payments) - e.g. an LG G3 from eBay at about £50 (that's buying outright, and you can sell it again on eBay for about £50 if you want to cash in) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=lg+g3&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
  2. a free Pay As You Go SIM, e.g. GiffGaff - https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards - you'll pay 5p for the <1MB of data you need to make the transaction (or possibly even free, if you can connect to the AMEX WiFi).

Interesting to know. I still don't like it, but at least it's a bit cheaper than I thought.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By his own admission, Mr Warren is set in his ways. Our football club cannot afford to be.

Paul Barber,

Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman,

Brighton and Hove Albion

LOL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here