Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion’s American Express Community Stadium will become a cashless venue on matchdays from the start of the 2020/21 season at the latest.

Fans can expect to see speedier service at the Amex in future, when purchasing their pre-match pint or half-time food, as the club transitions to cashless matchdays at the Amex during the coming months.

Working with American Express and catering partner Sodexo, the stadium’s catering kiosks, hospitality bars, merchandise store and programme booths will switch to card payments only, for all matches and event days, by August 2020 or possibly even sooner.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1336289/amex-to-go-cashless

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm still not sure why this speeds things up. Is it really much quicker to key in a PIN than hand over some dosh? People make mistakes when they tap in a key in and that will slow things down. And what if the connection's a bit slow?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well, it will mostly be contactless. I like Harveys and pie as much as the next man, but I've never got near to £30 limit

I'm still not sure why this speeds things up. Is it really much quicker to key in a PIN than hand over some dosh? People make mistakes when they tap in a key in and that will slow things down. And what if the connection's a bit slow?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... And what if the connection's a bit slow?

or down. hope they have contingency planning for this.
on more regular days, seems unnecessay to extend to programme booths and presumably sweet stands, inconveniencing parents to have to be present to make all purchases (or do all children have cards now?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Vast majority are below the requirement for pin and are contactless. Given the club already know card is pretty much twice as quick all of this type of stuff has already been worked out.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I love the idea and the continual decline in physical cash. I for one rarely use the dirty stuff and so this is another small step towards a society where it is both expected and the norm not to use cash.

I know the arguments about the old, poor and disadvantaged not being able to adapt or learn to budget, but systems can be put in place, apps used etc and this outways the money lost via theft, cashing up time and mistakes.

However the queue for Harveys at a stand alone booth (counter? bar? trolley?) was delayed considerably by the card machine not connecting properly. The network will have to be much quicker to allow for the transactions without waiting 2-3 minutes each time to log on.

Of course the bar man could have pre-poured the next order instead of staring at the terminal.........

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
or down. hope they have contingency planning for this.
on more regular days, seems unnecessay to extend to programme booths and presumably sweet stands, inconveniencing parents to have to be present to make all purchases (or do all children have cards now?

The sweet stands are run separately by another supplier, so the little dears should still be able to get their bon bons.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I reckon if the average order ( say a couple of pints and a burger or two), currently takes about 30 seconds, the handing over cash and sorting change part is probably about 3 seconds. Not long, but if they can deal with orders 10% quicker that will make a noticeable difference to queues and thus drive up sales.

More likely to me is that the club are doing it because of the costs of handling cash

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I can confirm its MUCH quicker at the bars...no old boys going through there change looking for £4.70 exactly and counting it out in the bar persons hand.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Will the charity buckets be contactless too or will they lose out?

tapDONATE_Front_1.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Will the charity buckets be contactless too or will they lose out?

Not unless Sodexho have taken over charity collections too

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

surely most people will just do contactless rather than put the card into the machine

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, it will mostly be contactless. I like Harveys and pie as much as the next man, but I've never got near to £30 limit

What if your card (like mine) doesn't do contactless payments?

It's no biggie for me because I very rarely use the bars at the Amex but, given the amount of times in shops that I'm waiting more than 30 seconds for a payment to go through, they'd better make sure they have a decent connection

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here