Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cashless Amex en route...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your eyes may water at £300, but I doubt your bank would blink twice at refunding just £300 on a fraud.

How many frauds can you get away with? Asking for a friend.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Son said he had received an e mail from the club saying that they were giving it a trial run for the game v Burnley but I haven't received the e mail.

What the email actually said about the trail is:

"The club will begin a phased roll-out from the next home match against Burnley a week on Saturday, with the kiosk on the north side in east upper, and the middle catering kiosks in all other home concourses taking credit or debit card payments only."

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How quick can you get the number to call them to cancel the card?

I can lock my debit card through my app. Just checked. Took 10 seconds to log on by finger print and then go to 'Stop or Freeze Cards'

Don't have the app? Fine. I just googled "Nationwide Lost and Stolen", and clicked on the phone number showing immediately. Maybe 15 seconds again in total.

People panicking about the risk of losing their card and it being used by someone seem to forget that this is a risk EVERY DAY if you are normal and carry a bank card on you most days. The stadium changing to cashless hasn't significantly increased the risk to you.

Again, quite how such a sensible and logical policy which will significantly speed things up has been met with anything other than "Yes, that's a good idea" is beyond me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Again, quite how such a sensible and logical policy which will significantly speed things up has been met with anything other than "Yes, that's a good idea" is beyond me.

Oh goodie does that mean we're taking people out of the equation as well?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Your eyes may water at £300, but I doubt your bank would blink twice at refunding just £300 on a fraud.

I was MIND NUMBINGLY stupid a few years ago (before contactless) and had the same pin on 3 of 5 cards. Like an idiot, I had the same code on a padlock I used at the gym. Someone watched me do my padlock without me knowing (Again, yes I know, I'm an idiot), waited for me to go, unlocked my locker, took the cards, tried that same code on all of them, and rinsed 3 of my accounts.

I got it fully refunded with little fuss. They did a bit of scare tactics saying I'd broken the agreement but apart from that it was OK. So, that was a moment where I was completely at fault, and the bank still refunded me the money. It was a lot more than £300

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think every 10 contactless transactions you have to do a PIN transaction or enter a PIN in an ATM.

So assuming 30 pound maximum contactless transaction, that is in theory an eyewatering 300 pounds before the card becomes useless without a PIN.

It's not necessarily 10, it will depend on the user spending profile, history and any other factors the card issuer uses from time to time - essentially (to the user) it can appear 'random', otherwise it would be too easy for a fraudster to work within the limits.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I agree - but then the club should say that explicitly and not try and pretend that the move to cashless is going to solve the queues; I simply don’t believe that it will make that big a difference - especially as the “majority” are already using a cashless payment method.

I expect any queuing time saving from speedier service will quickly be negated by more people deciding to purchase refreshments who don't bother at the moment. A bit like widening a motorway.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think every 10 contactless transactions you have to do a PIN transaction or enter a PIN in an ATM.

So assuming 30 pound maximum contactless transaction, that is in theory an eyewatering 300 pounds before the card becomes useless without a PIN.

I'd heard that too, but I am struggling to recall a single instance of being asked for my PIN when using contactless so I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that. Maybe there's an algorithm in the background which takes many things into account that determines how likely you are to be asked.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I expect any queuing time saving from speedier service will quickly be negated by more people deciding to purchase refreshments who don't bother at the moment. A bit like widening a motorway.

I use this reference every time but I'm staggered they don't adopt the same system I've seen at my pub of choice on an International gameday at Twickenham.

This pub is RAMMED but they have such a simple system. People in the back CONSTANTLY pouring pints. I'm not fussy, I'm happy that my pint may have been there 2 mins
One person JUST taking the orders and payment. Contactless. Done
They even made the cash element quick by rounding prices of beer. 5 quid for a pint. 10 quid for the double pinter. Could I find a pint for 30p cheaper? Maybe but I'd rather not wait. If we go cashless then even that delay is removed.
One person JUST hearing the order and retrieving the beers. They are basically put in front of you as you've finished the paying.

It's SO simple.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

With massive tailbacks caused by looky-loos gawping at two people bumping into each other...?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I use this reference every time but I'm staggered they don't adopt the same system I've seen at my pub of choice on an International gameday at Twickenham.

This pub is RAMMED but they have such a simple system. People in the back CONSTANTLY pouring pints. I'm not fussy, I'm happy that my pint may have been there 2 mins
One person JUST taking the orders and payment. Contactless. Done
They even made the cash element quick by rounding prices of beer. 5 quid for a pint. 10 quid for the double pinter. Could I find a pint for 30p cheaper? Maybe but I'd rather not wait. If we go cashless then even that delay is removed.
One person JUST hearing the order and retrieving the beers. They are basically put in front of you as you've finished the paying.

It's SO simple.

Yes. Hopefully having just one form of payment would make a system like this very slick indeed. I'd imagine too that one of the factors determining when to "randomly" ask for a PIN, which is one thing that would slow things down, is whether or not you have purchased from that particular vendor before. For most the answer will be yes and so I think PIN requests would be very infrequent, certainly far less than one in ten.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'd heard that too, but I am struggling to recall a single instance of being asked for my PIN when using contactless so I suspect it's a bit more complicated than that. Maybe there's an algorithm in the background which takes many things into account that determines how likely you are to be asked.

I'd imagine a spate of transactions in a short period would be a significant red flag for a check.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd imagine a spate of transactions in a short period would be a significant red flag for a check.

Exactly.......so, if I 'found' a card owned by someone who'd never been to the Amex or didn't use their card often in catering places, then proceeded to order multiple rounds of drinks (carefully keeping each order under £30) it would most likely ping for PIN entry after a few uses as it would be 'out of profile' for the user.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Cashless at Watford until the machine went down. Eventually HAD to take CASH but only if you had the exact money

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here