Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The England team as a club side

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
If the England team were a club side playing in the Premier League, how would they do? Would they qualify for Europe or make the top 4?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The likes of Man City and Real Madrid would generally spank an international side, no brainer. They spend far more time together and play far more games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kane and Sterling would obviously bang in loads of goals but the England defence and midfield would get humiliated by City and Liverpool. So I would say around 3rd or 4th place, fighting it out with Spurs and Arsenal.

This.

The goalie, midfield and CB’s wouldn’t be in the same class of Ederson, Alisson, De Gea, VVD, Fernandinho, Silva, Laporte, Silva (times 2), Willian, Eriksen, Pedro, Pogba, Jorginho, Fabinho, De Bruyne, Kante. The top 5 clubs have bought a collection of the world’s best players in their positions.

Or in reverse, any of the above would improve the England 11.

My guess, about 6th in the PL.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its about time we just sent in the Man City side with England jersey's on. They play here, earn their money here, and could be persuaded to love the Queen.

Its no different to all immigrants from around the world taking up residence here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you take Spurs as a yardstick I'd say Lloris, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Ndombele and Son get in the England team ahead of Pickford, Stones, Rice, Henderson and Rashford. I'd put England mixing it for that final Champions League spot.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But wouldn't this argument apply to most national teams. Would Germany beat Bayern, would France beat PSG and would Spain beat Barcelona? Probably the closest would be France. Domestic teams aren't constrained by nationality requirements to the extent of a national team.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Can only really compare if you imagined 'cloning' the England players so their club sides are unaffected but also allowing the side to train together all year.

In that case I'd say battling it out for 3rd/4th with Spurs.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If by playing for England it would mean the likes of Kane and Sterling couldn't play for their club side then I'd guess top 4. Even without the English players City & Liverpool are still better, but Spurs, Chelsea & Man Utd would all be significantly weakened without their English contingent. The tricky one is Arsenal as they wouldn't lose any players.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
3rd to 6th

If the top two have an area of weakness, they have a far bigger pool to recruit from to improve that specific area. That consistent level of quality throughout the 11 (or 25) will always be the difference.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking back over the past few tournaments England are capable of beating average teams but still come up short against top 10 nations. Mid table is the answer.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Cold imagine this squad battling out for the Final Champions League position alongside Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea in that scenario. England have a weak defence that will struggle when facing quality attacking sides, Keane should be nowhere near the starting 11.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here