Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England vs Bulgaria

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some people have some unrealistic expectations.

In what way?

We will win all our games, probably qualify from our group in the main tournament and then lose to the first decent team we play. Same every tournament with the occasional feck up that sees us go out early

Are those unrealistic expectations?

Oh and I know you’re a Spurs fan but Kane is not World class either :smile:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
In what way?

We will win all our games, probably qualify from our group in the main tournament and then lose to the first decent team we play. Same every tournament with the occasional feck up that sees us go out early

Are those unrealistic expectations?

"only against a team that havent won in 6"

Its only the 5th game of the season for most and dispatched them.

We are still a team being built, we are not as good as other teams - why would we be expected to beat them?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"only against a team that havent won in 6"

Its only the 5th game of the season for most and dispatched them.

We are still a team being built, we are not as good as other teams - why would we be expected to beat them?

We always (well nearly) win all our qualifying games

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Bulgaria need a bit of this in their midfield:

Radostin+Kishishev+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Is_vPFu-ckol.jpg

The season he did with us, teaching Bridcutt how to be a defensive midfielder, dominating a twenty yard square in the centre of the pitch was one of my favourite things about Poyet's first season. His superiority was so notable, but watching such a talented player slumming it in Division One was fantastic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bulgaria need a bit of this in their midfield:

View attachment 115029

The season he did with us, teaching Bridcutt how to be a defensive midfielder, dominating a twenty yard square in the centre of the pitch was one of my favourite things about Poyet's first season. His superiority was so notable, but watching such a talented player slumming it in Division One was fantastic.

I loved watching him play for us. It was a tragedy what happened to his young wife.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What is not to like?

I don't like these pointless games, the sooner they scrap international football the better. Too many weekends missed, breaking up and spoiling the flow of the real football.

I quite like the breaks, and enjoyed going to the garden centre this afternoon, then watch a match on terrestrial tv.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I enjoyed that, especially the second half, there was so much creativity from England. Rashford, Rice and Sterling stood out for me. With lots of other young talent coming through.

Defensively Trippier and Keane were the weak spot. I really hope that Keane and Maguire as a two, are NOT our long term partnership. A clear lack of pace and vulnerability, which true international quality forwards will exploit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember watching a qualifier in 76 or 77. Pay on the gate. Around 30,000 (a third full). A crap 1-1 draw. People moaning about football today know nothing. People hankering back to those days . . . . well, what can I say? ???

Edit: we beat Finland 2-1 but it was dire.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
What is not to like?

I don't like these pointless games, the sooner they scrap international football the better. Too many weekends missed, breaking up and spoiling the flow of the real football.

Scrap international football? F*** that, bloody love the world cup and euros. Not so much these games, but as others have said, there's more to life than football, can do other stuff when it's international weekends

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember watching a qualifier in 76 or 77. Pay on the gate. Around 30,000 (a third full). A crap 1-1 draw. People moaning about football today know nothing. People hankering back to those days . . . . well, what can I say? ???

Although I went to a Wembley friendly in 1977 with my school, 92,000 (night capacity) against the brilliant Dutch team. Magical for me as a non cynical kid. Used to dream about Wembley and that match under lights years later.

But you’re correct ... older people could and did ‘moan for England’ about our national team then. The petty inter clubs hate thing had started already (possibly going in tandem with the hatred on club terraces?). People would hate ManU or Liverpool or Spurs players selected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Although I went to a Wembley friendly in 1977 with my school, 92,000 (night capacity) against the brilliant Dutch team. Magical for me as a non cynical kid. Used to dream about Wembley and that match under lights years later.

But you’re correct ... older people could and did ‘moan for England’ about our national team then. The petty inter clubs hate thing had started already (possibly going in tandem with the hatred on club terraces?). People would hate ManU or Liverpool or Spurs players selected.

Maybe that's why you see only lower league club names on England banners at games. A chance for lower league supporters to get a bit of stardust. On that note there was a big 'Crystal Palace' one behind the goal during today's game :lolol:

I can also remember in the 70s pundits admiring one or two division 1 black players on MOTD and asking one another (rhetorically - nobody ever answered the question) whether they had the 'right temperament' to play for England (and obviously only in a flair position) :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here