Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England vs Bulgaria

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Although I went to a Wembley friendly in 1977 with my school, 92,000 (night capacity) against the brilliant Dutch team. Magical for me as a non cynical kid. Used to dream about Wembley and that match under lights years later.

But you’re correct ... older people could and did ‘moan for England’ about our national team then. The petty inter clubs hate thing had started already (possibly going in tandem with the hatred on club terraces?). People would hate ManU or Liverpool or Spurs players selected.

Remember going to some England matches in the 80's where the Spurs players were booed by large portions of the ground. I am not a big England fan, but if you are at the game, at least support the team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought England were OK in the first half, Roy Keane wasn't impressed but they blew Bulgaria away in the second half and ran out comfortable winners. We still lack that dominant midfield presence - Mason Mount looks like the man most likely to me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who gives a feck what that arrogant p*** thinks.

ITV obviously think their viewers do. Yes he's arrogant but he's usually got a point.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Some people have some unrealistic expectations.

Enjoyed today - 6 of us went - wasn’t much of a game as was just 11 behind ball but Sterling and Kane showed their class - Barclay did well. Maguire solid as ever. Not lost a qualifier in 10 years - the record is ridiculous!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bulgaria need a bit of this in their midfield:

View attachment 115029

The season he did with us, teaching Bridcutt how to be a defensive midfielder, dominating a twenty yard square in the centre of the pitch was one of my favourite things about Poyet's first season. His superiority was so notable, but watching such a talented player slumming it in Division One was fantastic.

I remember having low expectations of him due to his age. My word he was fantastic for us. Last season at any decent level and was so committed and classy!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In what way?

We will win all our games, probably qualify from our group in the main tournament and then lose to the first decent team we play. Same every tournament with the occasional feck up that sees us go out early

Are those unrealistic expectations?

Oh and I know you’re a Spurs fan but Kane is not World class either :smile:

That theory changed last WC when we didn’t lose to a decent Colombia side.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Enjoy watching England with Southgate as manager, totally transformed the team into something exciting with attacking play.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Enjoy watching England with Southgate as manager, totally transformed the team into something exciting with attacking play.

The famous fear factor which affected England players when playing for their country, has largely disappeared. Rashford, Sterling, Henderson, Maguire, Pickford, Kane all look like they truly enjoy playing for England. Their first thought, getting the team moving forward.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The famous fear factor which affected England players when playing for their country, has largely disappeared. Rashford, Sterling, Henderson, Maguire, Pickford, Kane all look like they truly enjoy playing for England. Their first thought, getting the team moving forward.

I do wonder how the FA works at times appointing Big Sam was totally stupid, I will forgive Southgate for playing for Palace but he really is an exceptional manager and also takes time to learn a lot about managing techniques.

I sincerely hope he succeeds and we win another major international competition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do wonder how the FA works at times appointing Big Sam was totally stupid, I will forgive Southgate for playing for Palace but he really is an exceptional manager and also takes time to learn a lot about managing techniques.

I sincerely hope he succeeds and we win another major international competition.

The FA titted around for a couple of decades with no strategy, with variously; the tough Italian, the overrated Swede who liked his distractions, unbelievably McLaren, the dour football of Roy.

Finally a punt on someone who knew England age levels inside out and who is genuinely intelligent, plus he’s reaping the benefits of world class youth systems at several top clubs, and he has the guts to play those players.

Definitely rosey times. Unlike those are waiting to whinge if we don’t win a EC or WC (incredibly hard to do that when there are circa 10 highly talented squads elsewhere), I just enjoy watching them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Enjoyed today - 6 of us went - wasn’t much of a game as was just 11 behind ball but Sterling and Kane showed their class - Barclay did well. Maguire solid as ever. Not lost a qualifier in 10 years - the record is ridiculous!

Same here, three dads with 5 kids: £10 for the boys, £25 the adults - so actually pretty reasonable too.

And my first win at Wembley, after two draws and two defeats previously (3 Brighton, 1 England).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Interesting stats...

• No qualifying defeat in almost 10 years
  • England are unbeaten in their 11 matches against Bulgaria (W7 D4 L0) - they've faced no nation more times without losing (11 - level with Finland and Turkey).
  • England are unbeaten in their last 42 Euro/World Cup qualifying matches (W33 D9 L0), since losing 0-1 to Ukraine in October 2009.
  • Harry Kane became the first player to score 25+ goals in his first 40 appearances for the England men's team since Gary Lineker (27 goals). It was his 13th hat-trick for club and country (11 for Spurs, two for England).
  • Kane has scored eight penalties for England (excluding shoot-outs) - only Frank Lampard (nine) has netted more for the Three Lions.
  • Raheem Sterling has been directly involved in nine goals in his last seven appearances for England (seven goals and two assists); as many goal involvements as he registered in his previous 33.
  • Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid) became the first player representing a Spanish club to play for the England men's team since David Beckham (Real Madrid) in June 2007.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting stats...

• No qualifying defeat in almost 10 years
  • England are unbeaten in their 11 matches against Bulgaria (W7 D4 L0) - they've faced no nation more times without losing (11 - level with Finland and Turkey).
  • England are unbeaten in their last 42 Euro/World Cup qualifying matches (W33 D9 L0), since losing 0-1 to Ukraine in October 2009.
  • Harry Kane became the first player to score 25+ goals in his first 40 appearances for the England men's team since Gary Lineker (27 goals). It was his 13th hat-trick for club and country (11 for Spurs, two for England).
  • Kane has scored eight penalties for England (excluding shoot-outs) - only Frank Lampard (nine) has netted more for the Three Lions.
  • Raheem Sterling has been directly involved in nine goals in his last seven appearances for England (seven goals and two assists); as many goal involvements as he registered in his previous 33.
  • Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid) became the first player representing a Spanish club to play for the England men's team since David Beckham (Real Madrid) in June 2007.

May go some way to explaining it.... 2010-2018 in qualifying.

Montenegro x 2
Switzerland x 2
Wales
Bulgaria
Ukraine
Poland
Moldova
San Marino x 2
Slovenia x 2
Estonia
Lithuania x 2
Slovakia
Scotland
Malta

Some of the big nations must be wondering who is sleeping with who :lolol:

You'd have expected a Group of Death by now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here