Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] OLED TV's

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have a Samsung tv. It's very slim compared to the 70s. It shows a picture on the screen and I can see it very well. Hope this helps :wink:

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
Spent 3 hours in curry’s making them move TVs around so I could compare like for like, showing same picture next to each other.
Clear winner..... Sony. (A something)
Weirdly, the screen is the speaker but I use separate surround sound so wasn’t fussed about sound quality.
Bought it there and then.
Best, clearest picture I’ve ever had. Been going strong for 10 months, no probs, no burn in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Spent 3 hours in curry’s making them move TVs around so I could compare like for like, showing same picture next to each other.
Weirdly, the screen is the speaker but I use separate surround sound so wasn’t fussed about sound quality.
Best, clearest picture I’ve ever had. Been going strong for 10 months, no probs, no burn in.

Was hoping you'd say no thanks and went t'internet to buy it :lol:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Yes looked at same tv’s hoping to go down same road . Was worried about speakers in screen but reviews suggest not a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think this might just be my favourite NSC exchange of all time.
That's quite an accolade and I'd like to take some credit, but then I guess I only had a bit part.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The problem with comparing TVs next to each other - particularly when in a brightly lit store - is that it becomes a battle for brightness. To help win this battle, manufacturers set the displays to produce an overly bright image out of the box, which you then have to turn down (by changing picture mode) when you get home.

When you're watching something good on the box in the evening, you want nice dark blacks (a speciality of OLEDs and decent plasmas) and realistic colours. That's not something that's easy to pick out in a Curry's showroom.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I treated my self to a Sony, only in the belief they are good, everything appears good but really only as good as your eyes, and mine are suitably deteriorating that it makes cock all difference.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was fed up with having a monolithic black slab in the front room, so I replaced my much loved Panasonic plasma with the new Samsung ‘Frame’. In my opinion, it looks so much better than a normal TV.
View attachment 115005

No, I give up, Which frame is it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
TV's don't "burn" these days.

And NEVER buy an extended warranty. They are absolutely indistructable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
TV's don't "burn" these days.

And NEVER buy an extended warranty. They are absolutely indistructable.
I'd also never buy an extended warranty, but I would buy from somewhere like Richer Sounds or John Lewis where they have 5 year warranties, as TVs do go wrong. Sometimes it's just a new model with issues that haven't been found yet, sometime you're just unlucky. You should still be covered by the sale of goods act, but fighting that is a ball ache.

Becktheman

Jul 7, 2015
Purchased a LG OLED65C8PLA from Richer Sounds a few weeks ago and AVF Options EASL925A Easel Cantilever TV Stand from Currys.

It has plenty of apps including Netflix, Amazon Prime, NOWTV.

Amazing picture quality and sound out of the box. Hopefully, I will setup our Denon receiver and speakers tomorrow.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
The problem with comparing TVs next to each other - particularly when in a brightly lit store - is that it becomes a battle for brightness. To help win this battle, manufacturers set the displays to produce an overly bright image out of the box, which you then have to turn down (by changing picture mode) when you get home.

When you're watching something good on the box in the evening, you want nice dark blacks (a speciality of OLEDs and decent plasmas) and realistic colours. That's not something that's easy to pick out in a Curry's showroom.

Not easy no, but when you are an ex tv salesman.....
and change the settings in store to the same mode and same % brightness etc then you can make a reasonable comparison.
This is what I did, with the help of my brother, and my post is what I found....... In my opinion.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Pop down Richer Sounds and have a look. Also consider the viewing angle if there are a number of people watching as the viewing angle can effect quality of picture. I had not considered this when buying our last TV but glad this was pointed out by the shop staff as there are up to 6 who watch it in our house from different angles. We went for an LG as this was the best for keeping colour at all angles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here