Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Port of Naples to Pompei and visiting the Colosseum while in Rome.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We are going on a cruise next week and will be calling at rome and Naples for a day in each case.

I want to go to the Colosseum and will probably do a hop on hop off bus tour and also want to visit Pompei when stopped at Naples.
So, I have 2 questions for you:

Should we buy tickets in advance for the Colosseum or just queue once there?

What is the best way to get to Pompeii from the port?
we need to have a reliable return time.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't remember the Colosseum being particularly busy when I went - is there any downside to prebooking tickets?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I got the train to Pompeii from Naples city centre, not sure if there is a station near the port. Note, I think there are two trains, one stops at every stop which takes quite a while and a faster one. I can't remember how long though.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a little more expensive but I would go on the organised cruise trip to both. Everything is done for you, you jump the queues and have exceptional tour guides. No worries about getting back to the ship on time either.
Colosseum visit can be combined with all the other sites en route, eg. Vatican City,

Enjoy

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You know Rome is 50 miles from the port best to use ships excursions mainly so you know the ship will wait for you if there are delays

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Be sure to go back to the Naples area for a proper holiday so as well as Pompeii, you can visit Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Sorrento, islands of Capri and Ischia, then Amalfi and Ravello, as well as Naples itself, with Sorrento being a good base.

In Rome, if you go to the Colosseum, also visit the Forum, which it backs onto.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Be sure to go back to the Naples area for a proper holiday so as well as Pompeii, you can visit Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Sorrento, islands of Capri and Ischia, then Amalfi and Ravello, as well as Naples itself, with Sorrento being a good base.

Vesuvius and Pompeii is done on same cruise trip

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Vesuvius and Pompeii is done on same cruise trip

Our Cruise trip just goes to Rome and back and leaves you on your own.
In Naples it goes to Sorrento and not Pompei :)

Ours is all inclusive of trips but as we are booking Malta to Malta, we are lumped with the Maltese guests and from our experience of the same ship but to the Eastern Med last year, all the Maltese want to do is go shopping!
They even took empty suitcases on their trip to Bodrum in Turkey!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It’s a little more expensive but I would go on the organised cruise trip to both. Everything is done for you, you jump the queues and have exceptional tour guides. No worries about getting back to the ship on time either.
Colosseum visit can be combined with all the other sites en route, eg. Vatican City,

Enjoy

Thanks, but see my reply to [MENTION=149]timbha[/MENTION] post #8

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
We travelled from Sorrento to Pompeii this time last year, the train was rammed, a bit like the pre-match Falmer train. Not always reliable, and Pompeii takes a long time to get around, temperature will be in the low 30's.
I would suggest stay in Naples, but keep your valuables in a bumbag, crime rate there is rife.
Next time stay in Sorrento, visit all the ruins and get the ferry to the Amalfi coast, you won't be disappointed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, buy a ticket in advance..100%
If you a on a cruise, when you get to Naples, either get the ferry on the left as you come out of the port to Capri...it’s fab...or get a excursion to the top of Vesuvius if the weather is good it’s bloody fantastic ( and it is still smoking!!!!)
Pompeii is fantastic, BUT if it’s hot there is no shade. I actually prefer Herculaneum ( and wrote a 5000 word dissertation on it) as it is an amazing place and they have excavated many buildings and some of them are extremely well preserved.

If there is anything else, let me know.

We are going on a cruise next week and will be calling at rome and Naples for a day in each case.

I want to go to the Colosseum and will probably do a hop on hop off bus tour and also want to visit Pompei when stopped at Naples.
So, I have 2 questions for you:

Should we buy tickets in advance for the Colosseum or just queue once there?

What is the best way to get to Pompeii from the port?
we need to have a reliable return time.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Btw also if you get time go to the museum at the top of the Forum. In the tunnel separating the two sides, there are some fantastic artefacts . 24CDB387-F03B-443B-9AD2-1F70E4E74161.jpeg. CD2E3373-5F36-4D83-85CB-8DAF1BBB4AEF.jpeg. The chariot is thought to be over 4000 years old!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Amalfi Coast was our first experience of Italy 15 years ago been back five times since then from Lake Garda in the North to Sicily in the South, absolutely love the place.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Pompeii / Naples is a cash-only area. The only place we used a card the whole time we were there was buying train tickets at the station. None of the restaurants or museums took cards.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went to the Vatican City last year, I had a cold and sneezed twice. Wall to wall Nuns and Priests, and not one of they said”Bless you “

Call themselves Christians, pah!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Enjoy

I agree if the visitor has not been before organised tour guides in Italy when visiting the Roman sites are required to have a degree in history as such you generally get to see the top sites

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Great choice, fantastic islands :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here