Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Port of Naples to Pompei and visiting the Colosseum while in Rome.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
From our recent experience it’s best to buy your Rome Colosseum tickets in advance. Admittedly we were there in the peak summer season, but booking in advance means you get the day and time that you need. You can also include Forum tour with Colosseum.

Not sure how long you have in Rome, but It’s a city that’s not best suited to hop on / off buses in my view. If you you want to go to the Trevi fountain and Pantheon the buses might get you close but you still need to walk through narrow lanes. We used the trains a lot ( cheap and reliable) and taxis ( relatively cheap by comparison to Uk).

As for Pompeii, I agree with another poster that train is probably the best way there and it’s only a short walk from the station. But don’t miss nearby Herculaneum which is just as interesting, but smaller and far less busy.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Be sure to go back to the Naples area for a proper holiday so as well as Pompeii, you can visit Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Sorrento, islands of Capri and Ischia, then Amalfi and Ravello, as well as Naples itself, with Sorrento being a good base.

In Rome, if you go to the Colosseum, also visit the Forum, which it backs onto.

Sorrento is nicer than Naples. I found Naples a wee bit too commercial. If you want to see the Italian equivalent of Brighton Try Sanigallia - A bit smaller than Brighton but they should be twinned with each other. They remind me of each other

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
How can you possibly justify that Naples is more commercial than Sorrento. The later is mainly a resort, the former a port city with all that comes with that.
Naples is one over the most uncompromising cities in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpy Tim

I love that part of the world, though Naples isn´t the best. Everywhere else you mention is amazing. As someone said, get the ferry around the Amalfi Coast - we stayed a few nights in Positano and it´s magical.

Rome is my favourite city in the world. I´m fan of the hop on hop off buses, but if there´s one city in the world to walk around it´s Rome. There´s so much to see, that many of it isn´t really mentioned when the main sites are talked about. Just walk and get lost in the city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here