Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you taking in a game this weekend with it being the international break?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That was sensible, clashing it with England on ITV. Score?

To be fair I think that might have knocked the crowd a bit, a disappointing 510 only last night. 3-2 indeed as has been said, 0-2 down after 47 minutes, came back to 2-2 at FT, then scored the winner in the 119th minute, good spectacle, no VAR, great pulled pork. Fun fact, as it was an FA Cup game there was no alcohol allowed outside the clubhouse, whereas on a normal home game, often with 1000+ crowd, plenty of people are in the stands, on the terraces, with a beer and pulled pork bap, and no-one has a problem with it.

Could hear the Worthing fans from my house last night which surprised me.

Making my first trip to Woodside Road on Saturday. F*ck VAR.

Surprised you don't hear it more often, was quite a small crowd for them last night, and not as vocal as they often are. Hope you enjoy the game on Saturday, Woodside Road is fast becoming my preferred football fix.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
To be fair I think that might have knocked the crowd a bit, a disappointing 510 only last night. 3-2 indeed as has been said, 0-2 down after 47 minutes, came back to 2-2 at FT, then scored the winner in the 119th minute, good spectacle, no VAR, great pulled pork. Fun fact, as it was an FA Cup game there was no alcohol allowed outside the clubhouse, whereas on a normal home game, often with 1000+ crowd, plenty of people are in the stands, on the terraces, with a beer and pulled pork bap, and no-one has a problem with it.

Surprised you don't hear it more often, was quite a small crowd for them last night, and not as vocal as they often are. Hope you enjoy the game on Saturday, Woodside Road is fast becoming my preferred football fix.

Only moved to Worthing in April so I think I must have just missed the end of last season.

Actually been pretty surprised since I’ve looked in to them, didn’t expect their crowds to be anywhere near as big as they are. They dwarf everyone else in the league. Certainly looking forward to it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

As is Gorings Mead becoming mine. Far more honesty in grass roots football.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To be fair I think that might have knocked the crowd a bit, a disappointing 510 only last night. 3-2 indeed as has been said, 0-2 down after 47 minutes, came back to 2-2 at FT, then scored the winner in the 119th minute, good spectacle

Had a surprise as I checked the Worthing score just as half-time kicked off and thought what a pity they're losing. Then saw final result this morning! Must have been a cracker for the home crowds.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Could hear the Worthing fans from my house last night which surprised me.

Making my first trip to Woodside Road on Saturday. F*ck VAR.

Well I just wish I’d gone to Woodside today, that must have been a cracker to see, Rebels!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I thought they were officially the Mackerel Men now? :shrug:

As the chant goes, “I’d rather be a Rebel than a Rock”. For now the hardcore Worthing fans seem to prefer the Rebel nickname.

Imagine if Barbour decided we should change from Seagulls, it would take a while to get used to it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As the chant goes, “I’d rather be a Rebel than a Rock”. For now the hardcore Worthing fans seem to prefer the Rebel nickname.

Imagine if Barbour decided we should change from Seagulls, it would take a while to get used to it.

Any idea why the club decided to change it?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Any idea why the club decided to change it?

Don’t think it was the current club as such that ‘change it, it goes much further back

“The club's intriguing nickname of "The Rebels" dates from when it resigned from the West Sussex League over a rule change, prior to becoming a founder member of the Sussex County League in 1920. Previously Worthing had been known as "The Mackerel Men": a reference to the fish on the club crest.”

Wikipedia I know, but I’m sure it is the generally the correct story.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Don’t think it was the current club as such that ‘change it, it goes much further back

“The club's intriguing nickname of "The Rebels" dates from when it resigned from the West Sussex League over a rule change, prior to becoming a founder member of the Sussex County League in 1920. Previously Worthing had been known as "The Mackerel Men": a reference to the fish on the club crest.”

I've read that they had that nickname 100 years ago, but I'd never heard it until a year or two ago (and I'm 51). I'd only ever heard of them as the Rebels. But a couple of years ago the club officially started referring to themselves as the Mackerel Men; this is their official website, where it is referenced ("Follow the Mackerel Men"):-

MackerelMen.jpg

So I wonder why they suddenly reverted to a nickname that hadn't been in common use for 100 years?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I've read that they had that nickname 100 years ago, but I'd never heard it until a year or two ago (and I'm 51). I'd only ever heard of them as the Rebels. But a couple of years ago the club officially started referring to themselves as the Mackerel Men; this is their official website, where it is referenced ("Follow the Mackerel men”)

So I wonder why they suddenly reverted to a nickname that hadn't been in common use for 100 years?

I’ve been watching them off and on for 20 years or so now, much more so in the past 5 years, I don’t really recall back then what the fans referred to. Bear in mind they’ve been in the doldrums a couple of times over those years, but the “I’d rather be a Rebel than a Rock” banner has been behind the east stand for as long as I can remember.

D911AAB0-56E8-4A6D-A60D-9CA5714C0CE0.png

The club badge, featuring three mackerels, only came into being in late 2016 and didn’t feature on a home shirt until the start of the 2017-2018 season. Prior to that it had been the Worthing town crest since the 1990s which is as far back as I know.

I thought it was because Worthing was a republican stronghold during the English Civil War.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here