Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 60 Years ago today

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
60 years ago today l saw my first Albion game.
The Albion 3 - 1 Pompey at The Goldstone Ground 5th September 1959
Bill Curry scored all three Albion goals and there were more than 29000 in The Goldstone Ground.
Hooked from that day.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Bill Curry scored all three Albion goals and there were more than 29000 in The Goldstone Ground.
Hooked from that day.

A wonderful record....and hopefully, so many great memories of matches past.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I'm in no way trying to derail the thread but i'm interested to know what sort of rivalry if any existed back then between the two clubs , i imagine a type of day with fans from both clubs happily mixing and swapping pipe tobacco , but would be nice to hear a first hand account of how things were back then .

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hooked from that day.

But what was Albion’s possession percentage? What was the xG? Number of passes completed? Did we play 3-4-3 or 4-5-1, geggenpress or not?

Ah for those simpler days when people just went to a game to enjoy it...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hooked from that day.
60 years hard labour! Well done Telboy

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
We're very close. This was my one.

Villa59.1.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm in no way trying to derail the thread but i'm interested to know what sort of rivalry if any existed back then between the two clubs , i imagine a type of day with fans from both clubs happily mixing and swapping pipe tobacco , but would be nice to hear a first hand account of how things were back then .

As an aside my first game was Albion vs Palace in 1976. I was in the South stand surrounded by good natured Palace fans, there is no way that will ever be repeated.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The biggest tear ups I’ve witnessed over the last 40 years have been with Pompey and not Palace if that helps.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Spookily, I was given an old programme yesterday by a customer who had no idea that it was my first ever Albion game.
Albion v Bradford City, 17th January, 1970. We won 2-1 and a 50 year love affair was born.

el punal

I’ve been watching the Albion since 1965 and it was completely different in those days. Hardly any singing or chanting apart from “Oh my what a referee!” aimed at the man in black, who was always the villain of the piece. The first time I noticed any rivalry, tear ups, rucks, naughtiness and so on was the start of the season in 1969. We played Portsmouth in the League Cup in September at the Goldstone, lot of aggro at that game. Then we played Luton at the Goldstone when all the skinheads had to take off their DMs before being allowed into the North Stand.

After that football became much more tribal and soon we had segregation on the the terraces. Happy days? Not so sure about that one.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

It was only 60 years ago, not 100 years. Not sure it would have been all cloth caps, thick moustaches and pipes. We even had motor vehicles and televisions, Elvis and Cliff Richard.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As an aside my first game was Albion vs Palace in 1976. I was in the South stand surrounded by good natured Palace fans, there is no way that will ever be repeated.

That was one of my first games, I started going in January, the month before.

2 smoke bombs were thrown onto the pitch from the sore losers, as we one 2 nil.

Over 33,000 (plus the unrecorded rest) rammed in under the lights for a division three match.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It was only 60 years ago, not 100 years. Not sure it would have been all cloth caps, thick moustaches and pipes. We even had motor vehicles and televisions, Elvis and Cliff Richard.

And guess who was number one sixty years ago today with "Living Doll". Although today was its last day at number one after six weeks at the top of the "hit parade".

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
God, you lot are old!
I'm a real youngster compared to this thread of wrinklys....... first game in 1968-69:)

So much has changed, I think the biggest thing being stadiums for many clubs such as the Albion. Who would’ve thought at the much loved but basic Goldstone Ground, that a few years later we’d be playing in a huge all seater stadium elsewhere in the city?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here