Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion predicted to go from £12 million profit to £13m loss last season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How long until the jesters rock up, crowing?

I was genuinely surprised they hadn't already suggested that us dumping strikers off left, right and centre was being done to avert some sort of financial crisis.

Or have they, and I missed it?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sounds as if it's probably right, but that also means that the transfer fees we've previously paid for Izquierdo, Propper, Ryan, Gross etc come into play

Pretty sure that transfer fees are generally amortised over the length of the contract, so a £20m player with a 5-year contract would only hit the P&L to the tune of £4m (assuming straight-line used) in that year, not the full £20m.

If only there was a football financial expert round here to verify that...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pretty sure that transfer fees are generally amortised over the length of the contract, so a £20m player with a 5-year contract would only hit the P&L to the tune of £4m (assuming straight-line used) in that year, not the full £20m.

I'm no football finance expert but I'd have a small wager that you're pretty much correct.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If it was last season, I expect it would include the purchase of Locadia, Andone, Bissouma, Ali J, Montoya, Bernardo. What's that £75m? Plus a host of youth team players, reserve keepers etc

Agreed, but I was more looking for one-off costs to do with the training ground or TB's loans, something like that that won't crop up every year. Buying players comes under general trading and we're always going to do that - but hopefully do it better.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hemed is off for good, and there's every chance that Knockaert, Locadia and Andone won't be back this season.

I believe Galatasary for paying all of Andone's pay, I'd be amazed if Fulham aren't paying all of Knockaert's which only leaves Locadia. I'm struggling to see that we're not well over £100k/week better off from those four alone.

Say wages of (£45,000, £45,000 and £30,000) x 52 + employers NIC @ 13.8% = £7.1m saved on an annualised basis.

Did we receive loan fees too?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Spend the same and finish 10th rather than 17th and we would effectively have broken even, so you can see why the aim is to be a top 10 club

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I can't think of significant "non playing" outlays last season.

I think the most likely reason for the £25m swing is transfer fee and wage inflation. I bet there's a tonne of agents fees as well.

The accounts will confirm whether this is true or not, but I'd say the key to keeping finances under control is not to let wages spiral.

What would be a massive help is if we manage to shift the high paid, senior players not in the team off the books permanently. This will be harder than most suspect.

Agreed, but I was more looking for one-off costs to do with the training ground or TB's loans, something like that that won't crop up every year. Buying players comes under general trading and we're always going to do that - but hopefully do it better.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008

You called?

That is correct, except at Pride Park, who do it “The Derby Way” to decrease short term amortisation to comply with FFP.

Regards

DR

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've just counted the number of players we have (it's listed in the Shinji Okazaki thread).

We have 78.

Now most of these are youth players so will be relatively inexpensive, and many are on loan and some, (but almost certainly not all) of their wages will be paid by another club.

My point is that I think most of us probably greatly underestimate the amount of money it costs to run a category A academy. The number of support staff they must need, physios, analysts etc etc. Remember they will also have even younger players, who don't have the status of club employees, plus now the whole women's team to look after.

In the near future, it will hopefully be self sustaining. £200k here to a league 2 club, £4m there to a Championship club and the occasional first team player which will save us £20m. But we're not there yet

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You called?

That is correct, except at Pride Park, who do it “The Derby Way” to decrease short term amortisation to comply with FFP.

Regards

DR

Errmmm....

This is like that bit in Mrs Doubtfire, and I'm one of the children finding my Dad half-dressed as an old woman.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've just counted the number of players we have (it's listed in the Shinji Okazaki thread).

We have 78.

Now most of these are youth players so will be relatively inexpensive, and many are on loan and some, (but almost certainly not all) of their wages will be paid by another club.

My point is that I think most of us probably greatly underestimate the amount of money it costs to run a category A academy. The number of support staff they must need, physios, analysts etc etc. Remember they will also have even younger players, who don't have the status of club employees, plus now the whole women's team to look after.

In the near future, it will hopefully be self sustaining. £200k here to a league 2 club, £4m there to a Championship club and the occasional first team player which will save us £20m. But we're not there yet

Well, we might be. Connolly could end the season with a dozen goals which would make him in the £20million bracket. We could easily sell Ben White for £10million if we chose to flog him to the Championship. Ultimately, if we're in a position whereby we're losing £10-15million per season, that's one player sell. If we were worried about the loss, we'd have flogged Lewis Dunk or Shane Duffy this summer for north of £30million. There would have been takers had we wanted to sell and we're not short of marketable players in our squad.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree that we're not worried about making the loss. I don't expect to see any noticeable belt tightening

Well, we might be. Connolly could end the season with a dozen goals which would make him in the £20million bracket. We could easily sell Ben White for £10million if we chose to flog him to the Championship. Ultimately, if we're in a position whereby we're losing £10-15million per season, that's one player sell. If we were worried about the loss, we'd have flogged Lewis Dunk or Shane Duffy this summer for north of £30million. There would have been takers had we wanted to sell and we're not short of marketable players in our squad.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hemed is off for good, and there's every chance that Knockaert, Locadia and Andone won't be back this season.

I believe Galatasary for paying all of Andone's pay, I'd be amazed if Fulham aren't paying all of Knockaert's which only leaves Locadia. I'm struggling to see that we're not well over £100k/week better off from those four alone.
Presumably Hemed's pay was covered by QPR last season, so we aren't making a saving there. And while we're saving on the other 3 you mention, we'll no doubt be paying a fair bit for Maupay, Webster, and Trossard. I'm not sure we're making a saving at all are we?

Or is it the kind of saving Mrs T makes every time she buys a new pair of shoes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here