Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion predicted to go from £12 million profit to £13m loss last season

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Cutting to the chase, does this mean Bloom will want to cut expenditure or is okay with him still spending on players etc. Especially when we have signed a huge sponsorship deal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How long until the jesters rock up, crowing?

Don’t think they’re in a position to talk - that would make us even for the last 2 seasons - how will theirs compare I wonder?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well, we don't know that they are entirely off the bill. We also don't know whether they are coming back.

If only we could dump some high-earners off the wage bill...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don’t think they’re in a position to talk - that would make us even for the last 2 seasons - how will theirs compare I wonder?

It'll be an interesting compare and contrast...

...when their accounts are published.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The sponsorship deal is worth £8.5m per season, so would mitigate those losses.

My guess is a continue to the current policy, which I suppose you could define as controlled speculation

Cutting to the chase, does this mean Bloom will want to cut expenditure or is okay with him still spending on players etc. Especially when we have signed a huge sponsorship deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We’ll have to wait until they file their smoke and mirrors accounts. I wonder how many months late the Spiv will release them this year?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey. Are there any mitigating circumstances, one-off costs etc? Or are we just unprofitable?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
On the one hand, wage and transfer fee inflation doesn't seem to be slowing down so we'll have to continue to pay top dollar just to stay where we are.

On the other, I don't think we're far from seeing the academy self finance in terms of player sales (for example if we chose to sell Ben White, he'd be worth a fair bit) and in terms of us not having to pay out as many transfer fees.
It's also possible that we'll be able to reduce the numbers of high earners not in the team, though if it was easy for us to find clubs to take on the players Potter doesn't want permanently, we'd have probably done it already.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, we don't know that they are entirely off the bill. We also don't know whether they are coming back.

Hemed is off for good, and there's every chance that Knockaert, Locadia and Andone won't be back this season.

I believe Galatasary for paying all of Andone's pay, I'd be amazed if Fulham aren't paying all of Knockaert's which only leaves Locadia. I'm struggling to see that we're not well over £100k/week better off from those four alone.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If it was last season, I expect it would include the purchase of Locadia, Andone, Bissouma, Ali J, Montoya, Bernardo. What's that £75m? Plus a host of youth team players, reserve keepers etc

Blimey. Are there any mitigating circumstances, one-off costs etc? Or are we just unprofitable?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I presume our £60M summer spend will go towards the 2019-20 figures then . . . .gulp. Is it possible to ever be profitable, even in the PL (aka the Promised land)?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hemed is off for good, and there's every chance that Knockaert, Locadia and Andone won't be back this season.

I believe Galatasary for paying all of Andone's pay, I'd be amazed if Fulham aren't paying all of Knockaert's which only leaves Locadia. I'm struggling to see that we're not well over £100k/week better off from those four alone.

...plus Kayal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If it was last season, I expect it would include the purchase of Locadia, Andone, Bissouma, Ali J, Montoya, Bernardo. What's that £75m? Plus a host of youth team players, reserve keepers etc

Pretty sure that transfer fees are generally amortised over the length of the contract, so a £20m player with a 5-year contract would only hit the P&L to the tune of £4m (assuming straight-line used) in that year, not the full £20m.

If only there was a football financial expert round here to verify that...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here