Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia, Ashes 4th test - Old Trafford

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am going to predict that by 11:45 this morning, Overton, Root and Roy will all be out. Rory Burns will be 31 not out.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
You say that but Old Trafford is normally a fast bouncy pitch, and it looks as though it’s been prepared to be a sticky slow pitch by the looks of it, looks more like a sub continent pitch. I’d love to see an interview with Archer where he explains the drop in pace, my only guess could be that after that second test where he bowled express pace at times he realised he’s not going to be able to do that in test cricket over 5 days.

Yes and in particular when one test follows another. I believe we start at the Oval three days after the finish of this one (assuming it lasts 5 days). He is young, just starting out and probably over bowled. He has done pretty well so far. We do though miss Jimmy.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yes and in particular when one test follows another. I believe we start at the Oval three days after the finish of this one (assuming it lasts 5 days). He is young, just starting out and probably over bowled. He has done pretty well so far. We do though miss Jimmy.

Agreed I think he’s done very well, but there was a 10 day break between these two tests, something isn’t sitting right with me on it, when Smith came in at the start Archer bowled only one over at him and was hoicked out the attack. It’s a slow wicket granted but such a drop in pace from early to mid 90’s to early to mid 80’s I find quite bizzare really.

This is the kind of flat wicket where I thought Archer and his extra pace may have made the difference but certainly wasn’t so yesterday, I just hope he hasn’t been told not to bowl so fast.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was some logic in leaving out Woakes - he looks wrecked and was unable to bowl his quota of overs in the third Test.
Would you expect him to be back for the final test?
Added to that the wicket here was always going to be flat, and the England attack are all bowlers who like to move it off the pitch
Couldn't the groundsmen have done anything with the wicket to make it more friendly for our bowlers?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Couldn't the groundsmen have done anything with the wicket to make it more friendly for our bowlers?

Think it gets tougher to prepare a fast bouncy wicket this time of year. Will be interesting to see what they manage at the Oval.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Think it gets tougher to prepare a fast bouncy wicket this time of year. Will be interesting to see what they manage at the Oval.

Do we really want a fast bouncy wicket though? The Aussies love fast bouncy wickets. I’d like to see a pitch with a nice covering of grass, a old fashioned English wicket. Highly doubtful at the oval though.

This is all assuming we actually make it there which we probably won’t :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do we really want a fast bouncy wicket though? The Aussies love fast bouncy wickets. I’d like to see a pitch with a nice covering of grass, a old fashioned English wicket. Highly doubtful at the oval though.

This is all assuming we actually make it there which we probably won’t :lolol:

Didn't work at Lords. Figured we picked Overton over Woakes or Curran because we were going for pace and bounce.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You say that but Old Trafford is normally a fast bouncy pitch, and it looks as though it’s been prepared to be a sticky slow pitch by the looks of it, looks more like a sub continent pitch. I’d love to see an interview with Archer where he explains the drop in pace, my only guess could be that after that second test where he bowled express pace at times he realised he’s not going to be able to do that in test cricket over 5 days.

You could be right re the Oval. Last match there in July https://www.kiaoval.com/scorecard/2019/nottinghamshire-a-2/ and not much luck for Broad or Morkel but 12 for Ashwin. I remember Devon Malcolm there against South Africa in the 90's.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Rain ruins September Manchester test" shocker.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
In all seriousness I’d love to have been in the ECB planning meeting where Old Trafford was actually selected as a venue for a test match in September, the lobster and Chablis must have been excellent that day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here