Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Michael Owen and Newcastle.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Boring man attempting to sell boring book comes out with some outrageous comments about former club and team-mate. Mud slung on social media to make the most of the attention and attempt to drive sales of aforementioned book.

It's hardly a revolutionary approach, is it? And at the end of the day, who cares that two people don't like each other (apparently, if you believe what you see on the Twatter) and make it known?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In a time when we continually say that loyalty is dead, and that we understand how players put their careers first. I think Shearer was incredibly admirable, as he was a player who could have walked into any team in the world, yet decided he wanted to play for his hometown team. People can say he didn't win anything but Shearer played his career his way for the team he wanted to and secured hero status among the fans, whom he was one of. I wonder how many of our fans would criticise Shearer for not winning much but think Dunk is hero for staying with us?

All very true but he didn't do it for £50 a week - Shearer was remunerated handsomely during his stint at Newcastle

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Two of England's finest ever strikers. They would have to act like bigger arses than this to lose my respect

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
In a time when we continually say that loyalty is dead, and that we understand how players put their careers first. I think Shearer was incredibly admirable, as he was a player who could have walked into any team in the world, yet decided he wanted to play for his hometown team. People can say he didn't win anything but Shearer played his career his way for the team he wanted to and secured hero status among the fans, whom he was one of. I wonder how many of our fans would criticise Shearer for not winning much but think Dunk is hero for staying with us?

This.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This. Classless, whiney little failure. I have little time for Shearer but at least he left his sweat and blood on the pitch. OK, someone else's blood, but even so. Owen....welsh ****.

Failure?

Liverpool: Honours
FA Cup: 2000–01
Football League Cup: 2000–01, 2002–03
FA Community Shield: 2001
UEFA Cup: 2000–01
UEFA Super Cup: 2001

Manchester United Honours
Premier League: 2010–11
Football League Cup: 2009–10
FA Community Shield: 2010

Goals:
165 for club
40 for England

I'd love to be that kind of failure...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Failure?

Goals:
165 for club
40 for England

I agree he is not a failure but come on now :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Failure?

Goals:
165 for club
40 for England

Yes, but, apart from all that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. What Twitter was made for. A spat between 2 ex England Internationals both coming across as Bell ends, some wonderfully pithy comments from the general public especially in relation to how boring Owen is and slagging the saps at Newcastle off who think they are Barcelona but its just a shit pit in the North East that no self respecting player wants to join.

What's not to like?

Correct as always, Iggle Piggle. :clap2:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Failure?

Goals:
165 for club
40 for England

One start and only two goals in that Manchester United title-winning season, so that hardly counts. Shearer won the league, the ultimate prize, with Blackburn. To my twisted way of thinking that more than balances them out.

I admit I sort of took to Shearer when he got Roy Keane sent off up at Newcastle then laughed in his face.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
One start and only two goals in that Manchester United title-winning season, so that hardly counts. Shearer won the league, the ultimate prize, with Blackburn. To my twisted way of thinking that more than balances them out.

I admit I sort of took to Shearer when he got Roy Keane sent off up at Newcastle then laughed in his face.

He made enough appearances to be given a medal so he has one premier league winners medal as does Shearer.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Two of England's finest ever strikers. They would have to act like bigger arses than this to lose my respect

When both were signed by Newcastle they were considered two of the most sought after strikers in Europe. Shearer joined them as a world record transfer fee. I guess it all depends on that perennial question "what defines a big club as a big club?", but I would argue that in the pre Ashley era Newcastle had the ambition and presence of a big club.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All very true but he didn't do it for £50 a week - Shearer was remunerated handsomely during his stint at Newcastle

As are all Premier League footballers. Don't see how that's relevant.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Failure?

Goals:
165 for club
40 for England

We won some honours but compare that the Man U boys in that era

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

My twisted thinking says that as neither won anything with England (the only time I cared about them) they're both complete failures.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As are all Premier League footballers. Don't see how that's relevant.

I was responding to this

''I think Shearer was incredibly admirable, as he was a player who could have walked into any team in the world, yet decided he wanted to play for his hometown team''

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As is every other English born footballer then apart from, Banks, Wilson, Cohen, Charlton J, Stiles, Moore, Charlton B, Ball, Peters, Hurst and Hunt.

Crikey, you have high standards

My twisted thinking says that as neither won anything with England (the only time I cared about them) they're both complete failures.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To all on this thread, if you are genuinely engaging in a conversation about who is the biggest failure out of Shearer and Owen, then the great probability is that you yourself, are in fact ... a failure

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was responding to this

''I think Shearer was incredibly admirable, as he was a player who could have walked into any team in the world, yet decided he wanted to play for his hometown team''

I think the same not sure why anyone would knock him for that. I guess this does mean something to some players. For this reason I can see why he’s got the hump with Owen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here