Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone off on their holibobs to the USA anytime soon?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
In Florida a few weeks back I just worked on £1:$1 because, once tax was put on top of the visible price, it wasn’t very far away at all!

Lucky you didn't pick September for your trip. The state of Florida will take a massive tourist dollars hit on just the hint of a hurricane hitting their coast. Those people "on vacation" won't go if any of the weather might be bad. 30 August to 2 September was the "Labor" Day weekend.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Definitely change any money in the UK - the B de C in New York are giving $ for £.

Lot of my US friends are hopping over to the UK as it's the best deal they've had in a long time

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exchange your money at the airport for a laugh

Staggered that anyone has planned so badly they have to get ripped off quite so badly. Talk about taking your trousers down and bending over.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Anyone who says holibobs needs a clip round the earhole as my old mum would say. It’s as bad as Chrimbo. Just grow up will you ?

I think if I ever heard anyone say: “I’m taking a football on my hollibobs to try out some tekkers” I’d probably kill them...if I hadn’t already exploded first of course.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have a Halifax credit card that doesn’t charge transaction fees when you use it, so we pay the final hotel bills, car hire etc using this.

Just got the statement through and most have converted at 1.07 ish £ to € which at Easter was 1.13, so that has certainly had an effect. On my last business trip to the US last year the same card converted at 1.39 £-$ and a colleague just got back and he has a similar card and the conversation rate was 1.18.

Speaking to a customs officer at Corfu airport and he was saying that they are not going to separate Europeans and non Europeans after the final settlement as it was too much hassle and it did look like when we arrived that everyone just went through the two gates that were manned now. The experience at Rome airport was totally different as originally we aware told to get in the non European queue which had 5 flights full of Americans and Chinese so it was a huge queue...luckily a officer saw my passport and asked us to join the eu queue. They were again trialling how it would work and it was daft that all the automatic passport booths were not being used.

Be interesting what will happen in October half term when we are out the country in Spain if they let us back in if we have left!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We have a Halifax credit card that doesn’t charge transaction fees when you use it, so we pay the final hotel bills, car hire etc using this.

Just got the statement through and most have converted at 1.07 ish £ to € which at Easter was 1.13, so that has certainly had an effect. On my last business trip to the US last year the same card converted at 1.39 £-$ and a colleague just got back and he has a similar card and the conversation rate was 1.18.

Speaking to a customs officer at Corfu airport and he was saying that they are not going to separate Europeans and non Europeans after the final settlement as it was too much hassle and it did look like when we arrived that everyone just went through the two gates that were manned now. The experience at Rome airport was totally different as originally we aware told to get in the non European queue which had 5 flights full of Americans and Chinese so it was a huge queue...luckily a officer saw my passport and asked us to join the eu queue. They were again trialling how it would work and it was daft that all the automatic passport booths were not being used.

Be interesting what will happen in October half term when we are out the country in Spain if they let us back in if we have left!

Be even more interesting this end..............queues at Heathrow and Gatwick for non-EU are always pretty bad now - if we chuck all the current EU travellers into those queues as well it'll be horrific.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This weekend we were talking to some people who lived in France half the year and the press over there were reporting that macron is being belligerent and expecting french customs to check every passport and go back to stamping a page. We have already had a letter from our car insurance people to say we need a green card and have been advised to apply for one anyway.

On another tack, they were saying that the motorway cafes have been closed on the way to the channel ports to all lorries as the migrants move away from the ports and stow away where they can get in the lorries.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We're going next April, so who knows what we'll get for our pounds then. Peanuts, probably. Just hope we won't be disrupted on our upcoming holiday to Italy - we fly back 2 days after the current Brexit day :facepalm:

I hope you will be ok, but take comfort that the plane is unlikely to drop out of the sky like they all did when the 'Millennium Bug' was around!:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair a lot of us did a huge amount of impact testing of systems and a lot of fixes went through that people were not really aware about....but your point is well made.

I hope you will be ok, but take comfort that the plane is unlikely to drop out of the sky like they all did when the 'Millennium Bug' was around!:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
misread

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Only acceptable if you are an American.

Or Canadian. I've got used to saying "vacation" now. I'm still stubborn on a lot of British words, but I've been slowly switching over to the North American ways of saying some things. The word "vacationing" can f**k right off though.

I'm very happy with the exchange rate now :thumbsup: Even with the Canadian Dollar not being quite as strong as the US.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here