Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are you / your kids fussy eaters?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Surprisingly for teenagers, they're not. Just one or two disliked items such as mushroom, and one of them can't stand olives.

This might be because they got used meals with a variety of veg and flavours from an early age, with no options, all the food already served on their plates.

Exactly how it should be.

Letting your kids just eat crap is neglect imo. Seems to be so common thesedays in this country - so many big kids about, from a young age too. Not really any excuses either now what with the amount of advertising and tv around healthy eating. Sad, really - god knows how bad the obesity problem will get before it reverses - if it ever does!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly how it should be.

Letting your kids just eat crap is neglect imo. Seems to be so common thesedays in this country - so many big kids about, from a young age too. Not really any excuses either now what with the amount of advertising and tv around healthy eating. Sad, really - god knows how bad the obesity problem will get before it reverses - if it ever does!

That’s our view. We serve them mainly healthy meals, including healthy breakfasts on school days (‘fuel’ for the day ahead), but allowing them the freedom to eat crap in their own time out of pocket money.

It’s worked, their slim and one of them loves sport.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Not a fussy eater, but I do like a chopped banana and 12 red grapes halved and scattered over my breakfast cereal of the day. The grapes thing has become a daily ritual since I did a AITC Health and Wellbeing course and learned that 12 grapes counts as one of my 5 a Day. Is that fussy?

They are wrong, you actually need 13 grapes for it to count, eating 12 is as good as eating 1.
:ohmy:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Years back when I was married, my sister-in law was a real psycho and was genuinely hard work to put up with. Once, a few days before Christmas I asked her 8 year old, my niece, if she was looking forward to her xmas presents and her Christmas Dinner ? She replied " I don't have Christmas Dinner, I have pizza and Chips on Christmas Day " …...yes, she is about 30 now and a lard arse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Years back when I was married, my sister-in law was a real psycho and was genuinely hard work to put up with. Once, a few days before Christmas I asked her 8 year old, my niece, if she was looking forward to her xmas presents and her Christmas Dinner ? She replied " I don't have Christmas Dinner, I have pizza and Chips on Christmas Day " …...yes, she is about 30 now and a lard arse.

30 stone, or gross tonnage?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No kids here, only nephews.
So when we had them up to stay over the summers, during their younger years, we introduced them to food from the allotment.
Got them digging for chips, from the potato beds, picking beans, carrots, berries etc....
It was brilliant to see them excited about where proper food comes from, not from a plastic bag in a generic supermarket!
Corn on the cob was a favourite of theirs :thumbsup:

Now all grown up, the knowledge of food comes from a tw@t on a moped ???

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Cannot eat mussels due to allergy. Don’t eat baked beans because they are the food of the devil.
I will try pretty much anything else that could be considered normal in our society.

My son is the nightmare eater in our family because his mum allowed him to be.

I'd rather watch a compilation of Crystal Palaces greatest goals against Brighton with Glad all over played on repeat in the background than eat a plate of baked beans. They truly are the spawn of the devil.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I'd rather watch a compilation of Crystal Palaces greatest goals against Brighton with Glad all over played on repeat in the background than eat a plate of baked beans. They truly are the spawn of the devil.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

With you all the way brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not a fussy eater, but I do like a chopped banana and 12 red grapes halved and scattered over my breakfast cereal of the day. The grapes thing has become a daily ritual since I did a AITC Health and Wellbeing course and learned that 12 grapes counts as one of my 5 a Day. Is that fussy?

They are wrong, you actually need 13 grapes for it to count, eating 12 is as good as eating 1.
:ohmy:

No problem, I usually pop a couple more before the evening is out:)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Baked beans make me gag

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't stand sweetcorn or peas. Tripe is horrible (smells and tastes of wet sheepdog). Canned spaghetti and ravioli are the devils work (but baked beans are great :thumbsup:). And I am (weirdly) allergic to duck egg, though all other types of bird egg seem to be fine.

I eat pretty much anything else, in fact I make it a point to try stuff (so long as it's been properly cooked). Whilst living in Taipei I tried baby octopus (head and all), stinky tofu, pig blood sauce, snake blood and snake bile (both in a large shot of the local hooch) in Snake Alley https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Alley_(Taipei). Also a big fan of offal (except the aforementioned Tripe).

Son eats most things now aged 12, having been fussy at a younger age. Daughter will eat pretty much anything but would live on cheese if given a choice.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im moderatly fussy, the boy is very fussy. largely let him as reaction to period when not eating anything so just glad to get something in him. slowly trying new foods, trouble is everytime he accepts something he invariably goes off something else. fortunatly its somewhat balanced with some veg, fruit.

someone mentioned the psychology, i do recognise the control thing. its hard to force the "eat nothing then" several meal times in a row. i dont know how it got so bad as the scenario in the OP, nutrionist we saw was really helpful and encouraged slowly slowly approach, and multivitamin tablets. many ways to get hidden vitamins and minerals in to a child.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
My parents were quite basic in their food choices so up until I left home I too was fairly ‘fussy’. Grown out of 99% of it now although still really can’t stand cucumber (weird I know).

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My youngest has always been quite fussy - but in a good way. Never liked butter, wont have ketchup etc anywhere near his food - & if offered anything, will always go for tomatoes, cucumber, grilled chicken, pasta etc. Very rarely eats junk food and, being a keen sportsman, is absolutely ripped for a 13 yr old because of it. Wish I had been that disciplined with my food as a kid!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Cereal with milk and grapes? You absolute monster.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I became allergic to Almonds at 46 after scoffing them since I was a bloody kid! Opened a packet of them, started munching away - as I had for the past 40 years, and it was as if someone had poured alloy wheel cleaner into my gob! Whole mouth went numb, throat went numb - I thought I'd been Novichocked!!! :eek:

I also became allergic to horses at 40 - but thankfully not through eating them.... A 'Cowboy Trail' horse ride at Center Parcs one year ended up with my eyes swelling up so badly I looked like one of those bubble-eyed Goldfish. Bummer, as I love horses. Beautiful creatures, of which I now cannot get within six feet of :glare:

Antihistamine ... job's a gooden!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Makes me think of quite a funny scene in Lanzarote this summer. My daughter (18months) was enjoying her dinner of grilled Octopus, prawns and whitebait...whilst the English family the next table along all tucked into their chips and sandwiches. :lolol:

When me and wife were in Majorca two years ago, speaking to a family of 6, they were complaining that there was too much foreign food on offer and not enough English food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here