Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Decent young British Managers outside the PL??

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Let's go hypothetical here and assume that the Potter experiment works and at the end of the season, he leaves for a bigger club. Assume also that the club decide they like the plan and go for a like for like replacement - a young British manager with a desire for attractive football. And forget the "he won't come here/I want xxx foreign manager here/Bruno" comments as although I have some awareness of the lower leagues, I don't take much of a wider interest in most football outside of Brighton these days so I am interested in the views of those that do on this specific topic.

So, with Nathan Jones not only failing his audition but seemingly tripping up and breaking his nose on the way to the audition - who is out there that would fit the mould? Danny Cowley seems to being a good job with Lincoln but seems far too agricultural in his style. Lee Johnson seems a nearly man with a wealthy backer. Lee Bowyer doing well at Charlton but am I right in thinking he was reluctant to go into management at all? Steve Cooper seems to be following in Potter's footsteps with more success in his short tenure. Is there a trend for more Potter style managers or is there still an over reliance on the same old names on their 12th club?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Think I may have just answered my own question by seeing that Adkins is 3rd favourite for the Huddersfield job. :facepalm: Behind Cowley and Bowyer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, with Nathan Jones not only failing his audition but seemingly tripping up and breaking his nose on the way to the audition - who is out there that would fit the mould?

It may be too early to write Jones off; he may still be a decent manager but he made a bad mistake going to Stoke, He'll probably need to go to another L1 or L2 club but could well make a go of it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The guy who took over from Potter at Swansea is doing pretty well. Top of the table and they beat the mighty Leeds at Elland Road on Saturday as well as scoring 6 in the midweek cup game

Unfortunately he’s also Welsh :smile:

Edit I see the OP has already mentioned him :rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sol Campbell. Did well at Macc Town and had the good sense to step away when it became clear the club had no intention of matching his ambitions. Strong and stable, too.

Sorry, I was dozing and accidentally found myself channeling Crodo :facepalm:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Got to be Steve Evans.

He will even bring his own pies.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sol Campbell. Did well at Macc Town and had the good sense to step away when it became clear the club had no intention of matching his ambitions. Strong and stable, too.

Loving the use of "strong and stable". Seeing as that phrase now has a totally different meaning.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Bit like Sir Steve Gritt and MACC are going well early days with a better squad. £15 on the gate a decent hospitality at £45.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit like Sir Steve Gritt and MACC are going well early days with a better squad. £15 on the gate a decent hospitality at £45.

Yes but the thread is about young English managers. To join in with your thread derailment, however, yes, good luck to him and them. Lovely part of the UK. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Cowley,s at Lincoln City look good. However is the budget top level ?

Yes they do. But as mentioned elsewhere, they may be a bit too hoofy for the top level. Time will tell. I like them lots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here