Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hong Kong

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
kicking off big time now ....2 million + protesters , secret police mingling with protesters and then turning on them when military police arrive , thousands of special forces soldiers now on HKI .....wholesale arrest to pro democracy protesters.......is this being reported on in UK...?? looks pretty hard core to be honest.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It is being reported in the UK though some papers are reporting it much more than others.

Good luck to the protesters. It’s very brave of them. This could go seriously south.

kicking off big time now ....2 million + protesters , secret police mingling with protesters and then turning on them when military police arrive , thousands of special forces soldiers now on HKI .....wholesale arrest to pro democracy protesters.......is this being reported on in UK...?? looks pretty hard core to be honest.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I genuinely fear for the people of Hong Kong, eventually the Chinese government will crack down seriously hard and there is nothing we,or the world in general, can do to stop it.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Been gripped by it, vague parallels with UK/N Ireland (I stress vague) in so much as you just cannot see how the end game is going to play out, and there will probably never be one because China won’t be backing down and the protests aren’t going away. Dreadful police brutality yesterday.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well, the most likely end game is a Tiananmen Square type bloodbath.

Been gripped by it, vague parallels with UK/N Ireland (I stress vague) in so much as you just cannot see how the end game is going to play out, and there will probably never be one because China won’t be backing down and the protests aren’t going away. Dreadful police brutality yesterday.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yep, a bloodbath .... followed by a state visit by Xi Jinping about 6 weeks later

I'm afraid this is the only outcome. The Chinese Government will not allow the protests to continue as tgey are at present.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
And the outrage around the world will be so intense that Huawei will probably ship about 25 fewer phones around the world in the days after the massacre than they did before.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
There has been some rancid stuff on line about this. It's a worrying sign as the world clearly leans towards authoritarianism. Unfortunately, the misinformation has spread quickly and because the protests are against the likes of mainland China; there's sections of the media and across twitter who condescendingly believe that these people are being spurred on by the West to invoke anti-Chinese sentiment rather than these people literally want to maintain their freedom and democracy. I've even seen some ultra-left wing groups call out the west on this as 'agent provocateur" despite this being clearly the opposite. You can't be non-Western and pro-democracy according to these groups.

There has been rumours that the Chinese have built up a military presence on the border, which mirrors the Ukrainian crisis; it'll only be a matter of time before the Chinese government begins to test West resolve in the region.

Putin tested the West's resolve with Ukraine and when he saw there was no meaningful confrontation, escalated in Syria. China may use this as a means of testing the Asian pivot in US foreign policy and expand its presence in the South China Sea.

This could well be the start of something much, much bigger.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That would be the worst of case scenarios

Sometime I think (as crazy as this sounds) that having a having a wildly unpredictable child in the White House actually makes this sort of escalation less likely. I loved Obama, but his considered, measured approach was predictable by his enemies. Trump could decide to do literally anything and do it on a whim. His enemies know this and might rein it in a bit in response.

There has been some rancid stuff on line about this. It's a worrying sign as the world clearly leans towards authoritarianism. Unfortunately, the misinformation has spread quickly and because the protests are against the likes of mainland China; there's sections of the media and across twitter who condescendingly believe that these people are being spurred on by the West to invoke anti-Chinese sentiment rather than these people literally want to maintain their freedom and democracy. I've even seen some ultra-left wing groups call out the west on this as 'agent provocateur" despite this being clearly the opposite. You can't be non-Western and pro-democracy according to these groups.

There has been rumours that the Chinese have built up a military presence on the border, which mirrors the Ukrainian crisis; it'll only be a matter of time before the Chinese government begins to test West resolve in the region.

Putin tested the West's resolve with Ukraine and when he saw there was no meaningful confrontation, escalated in Syria. China may use this as a means of testing the Asian pivot in US foreign policy and expand its presence in the South China Sea.

This could well be the start of something much, much bigger.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watch the current BBC2 program on China that started last Thursday, Jeremy Hunt said the minute you mention Human Rights to them the conversation ends

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Watch the current BBC2 program on China that started last Thursday, Jeremy Hunt said the minute you mention Human Rights to them the conversation ends
Correct they won't talk about their government to a westerner. Fascinating country.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
... I've even seen some ultra-left wing groups call out the west on this as 'agent provocateur" despite this being clearly the opposite.

Well, I have Twitter and I can tell you it's all CIA-inspired and run. Because the world is run out of the basement of some windowless office buildings in northern Virginia, and foreigners don't have any any agency. If anything happens, it's because the Three-Letter Agencies made it happen.

Apparently the notion that Ukrainians, or Turks, or the people of Hong Kong, might have some ideas about their own future, and act on them, is to laugh.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I can see this spilling over to certain places out here.

If for example pro-Chinese government students out here try to impinge on pro-Hong Kong students they could cop a kicking in the future.

Especially if the filthy dogs are reporting back to the Chinese Government which they appear to be doing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I can see this spilling over to certain places out here.

If for example pro-Chinese government students out here try to impinge on pro-Hong Kong students they could cop a kicking in the future.

Especially if the filthy dogs are reporting back to the Chinese Government which they appear to be doing.

Already happening with Chinese students fighting among themselves at rallies in Sydney and Canberra and accusations of chinese secret service involvement.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Already happening with Chinese students fighting among themselves at rallies in Sydney and Canberra and accusations of chinese secret service involvement.

I'm more thinking the locals start jumping in and helping the Honkers out.

The commies will get wrecked if they do.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm more thinking the locals start jumping in and helping the Honkers out.

The commies will get wrecked if they do.

the cops won't let that happen ......Morrison is currently pointing his bare arse in the direction of China , the feds will not allow the china supporters to be humiliated ....imho.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
the cops won't let that happen ......Morrison is currently pointing his bare arse in the direction of China , the feds will not allow the china supporters to be humiliated ....imho.

Depends. Outside organised protests those pro-China students don't have any protections.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here