Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Important for men aged 45 - 80 : Might save your life

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some of you may remember the thread I started about my friend Lisa who within 8 weeks of being diagnosed with caner died. In part because she didn't get any smear tests done. She died at the age of 46 !!!!

I also mentioned in the thread, rather too briefly, about men needing to get cancer tests. One in two men ( 50% !!!! ) get a prostate problem in their lifetime. Therefore it's important to get tested. Well, thanks to Brighton Lions Club, you can get tested for free and all they do is take a small sample of blood and then post/email you the results. Details below of the testing this month and I would urge every male of between 45 and 80 to attend ( you need to book a slot online ). Please don't become another Lisa !

Venue : Bishop Hannington Church Memorial Hall, Nevill Avenue, Hove
Date : Saturday 28th September 2019 ( and, yes, I know - it clashes with Chelsea. I didn't pick the date but it might save your life )
Time : 10am to 3pm but you have to book
How to book : www.psatesting.org/events/hove

And if anyone has some spare money that they wish to donate then please Google 'Brighton Lions Club' and donate. For transparency, I'm not a member of Brighton Lions Club but have done some volunteering at their events as my Dad is a member.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Well said Westdene Seagull.

My mate (not yet 40) is in the weeds with this at the moment. Any early detection and in all likelihood he would have been in the clear by now.

Also: If there's something up with your stools then go and see a doctor FFS.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My uncle died of prostate cancer 20 years ago. The treatment now, makes it much more likely to be cured, if you get it detected early. If you are having to get out of bed to pass urine during the night (not after a beer drinking session) then it might be your prostate. Get it checked.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Some of you may remember the thread I started about my friend Lisa who within 8 weeks of being diagnosed with caner died. In part because she didn't get any smear tests done. She died at the age of 46 !!!!

I also mentioned in the thread, rather too briefly, about men needing to get cancer tests. One in two men ( 50% !!!! ) get a prostate problem in their lifetime. Therefore it's important to get tested. Well, thanks to Brighton Lions Club, you can get tested for free and all they do is take a small sample of blood and then post/email you the results. Details below of the testing this month and I would urge every male of between 45 and 80 to attend ( you need to book a slot online ). Please don't become another Lisa !

Venue : Bishop Hannington Church Memorial Hall, Nevill Avenue, Hove
Date : Saturday 28th September 2019 ( and, yes, I know - it clashes with Chelsea. I didn't pick the date but it might save your life )
Time : 10am to 3pm but you have to book
How to book : www.psatesting.org/events/hove

And if anyone has some spare money that they wish to donate then please Google 'Brighton Lions Club' and donate. For transparency, I'm not a member of Brighton Lions Club but have done some volunteering at their events as my Dad is a member.

can you not get this done by your gp..??

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Am pleased to say that our Walking Football Club ( Aulnay, Charente-Maritime) had it,s five a side 'fun' competition yesterday and raised 804 Euros which will be winging it's way to the Prostate Cancer UK fund.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One in two men ( 50% !!!! ) get a prostate problem in their lifetime. Therefore it's important to get tested. Well, thanks to Brighton Lions Club, you can get tested for free and all they do is take a small sample of blood and then post/email you the results.
Thanks for this. Don't the NHS offer the same? You get health checks when you reach 40, and they'll give you a reach around to check your prostate. I didn't realise they won't do a blood test.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I have just been given the all clear after prostate cancer. I didn't have any symptoms and it had already broken out of my prostate. I was 57 at the time. Don't wait for symptoms take any opportunity to be tested.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
can you not get this done by your gp..??

Strangely, not generally. As a rule the NHS doesn't believe these blood tests prove anything when there are plenty of medical trials that suggest they do. And to be clear, these tests highlight if you should take further tests - i.e. you're at risk - not that you HAVE prostate cancer.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for this. Don't the NHS offer the same? You get health checks when you reach 40, and they'll give you a reach around to check your prostate. I didn't realise they won't do a blood test.

See post #12

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Strangely, not generally. As a rule the NHS doesn't believe these blood tests prove anything when there are plenty of medical trials that suggest they do. And to be clear, these tests highlight if you should take further tests - i.e. you're at risk - not that you HAVE prostate cancer.
So what further tests would you have?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Thanks W.S. Recently attended a 'well-man' visit to my gp. i posed the question of a psa test and they said that the results from these were unreliable. strange. p.s. i am 58 and water-works are fine at present.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
So what further tests would you have?

I'm afraid you'd have to ask your doctor. These tests are all about your risk to the cancer, not about detecting it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks W.S. Recently attended a 'well-man' visit to my gp. i posed the question of a psa test and they said that the results from these were unreliable. strange. p.s. i am 58 and water-works are fine at present.

Opinion seems to differ but for the sake of a blood test that can narrow your chances of getting prostate cancer I'm willing to give a small bit of blood. Remember the NHS poo poos herbal treatment. And nobody likes to be poo poo'ed !!!!

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Opinion seems to differ but for the sake of a blood test that can narrow your chances of getting prostate cancer I'm willing to give a small bit of blood. Remember the NHS poo poos herbal treatment. And nobody likes to be poo poo'ed !!!!

Oh i don't mind giving blood for tests etc, my point is, i asked the question about a psa test expecting them to say, yes of course you can have the test but the response i got was not the one i expected.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yes old boy ....unfortunately even though my psa was 2.8 up from 1.9 and 2.3 the previous years , my gp sent me off for mri and biopsy , biopsy was covered , mri cost me 500 bucks.....when they took the ****er out it was over 40 % gone .....they were all amazed , as was i........onwards and upwards as they say , stiff upper lip and all that ..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here