Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Important for men aged 45 - 80 : Might save your life

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Same organisation, this time with Burgess Hill Lions, offering testing at The Triangle, Burgess Hill, on 12th October

Yep, had a leaflet through the door about this a few days ago. Luckily I have an annual medical through my health insurance at the moment so have this done anyway, but having had three pals get PC (all doing well following treatment) I’m acutely conscious of it.

Prognosis is potentially very good if detected early. Don’t be the guy that doesn’t bother........

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't know which is best, because I don't know enough about it. Is it a case that a low PSA would mean you just don't need to bother with a digital exam, because a low PSA would mean you don't need to worry?

No. A low PSA score doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ok. Likewise, a high PSA may not mean you have prostate cancer. If you’re over 45 it is VERY worthwhile getting a rectal examination. As I said, it’s not exactly pleasant, but it’s quick and could save your life.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No. A low PSA score doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ok. Likewise, a high PSA may not mean you have prostate cancer. If you’re over 45 it is VERY worthwhile getting a rectal examination. As I said, it’s not exactly pleasant, but it’s quick and could save your life.

admittedly havnt read the whole thread , but can you phone up the GP and get one booked (rectal exam) as a matter of course for that inspection only or do they only offer them under circumstances?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Over the last 3 weeks I have lost 3 friends to various forms of cancer, one was 4 years older than me whilst the others were younger.
I am approaching 60 next year and must admit that as a result of these events I am taking my health more seriously now and getting things checked instead of leaving them, as I always usually do.
One died leaving 6 kids aged from 12 to 20.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Over the last 3 weeks I have lost 3 friends to various forms of cancer, one was 4 years older than me whilst the others were younger.
I am approaching 60 next year and must admit that as a result of these events I am taking my health more seriously now and getting things checked instead of leaving them, as I always usually do.
One died leaving 6 kids aged from 12 to 20.

we all think we're bullet proof mate , 6 kids ....bloody hell thats rough ...all the best .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Talking of useful health prevention - If you're over 40 - you can get get a free , health check from your GP/local Nurse
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/
You should get a letter saying you're entitled to one. You can just ask if not (i requested one a few months ago and had an appointment fixed up in about 10 days) as you're allowed a new one every 5 years.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
when you say digital to you mean as in technology or as in digit=finger?

It is a very modern sounding test, but you are right the digit in question is the doctors middle finger. The first time the doctor looked as if she had been at uni with my daughter, the second doctor she looked like she was on day release from primary school, but I can assure you all there is nothing at all sexual about it and equally it is not in any way painful. The problem is they can only feel 1 side of the prostate so mine, for example, had broken out of the side they couldn't feel so the digital exam appeared all clear. They cannot diagnose with any certainty until you have a mri and biopsy, but at the moment psa and digital have the greatest chance of finding it early, but as I said earlier, I had no symptoms so don't wait for them, take every opportunity they give you to be tested.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is a very modern sounding test, but you are right the digit in question is the doctors middle finger. The first time the doctor looked as if she had been at uni with my daughter, the second doctor she looked like she was on day release from primary school, but I can assure you all there is nothing at all sexual about it and equally it is not in any way painful. The problem is they can only feel 1 side of the prostate so mine, for example, had broken out of the side they couldn't feel so the digital exam appeared all clear. They cannot diagnose with any certainty until you have a mri and biopsy, but at the moment psa and digital have the greatest chance of finding it early, but as I said earlier, I had no symptoms so don't wait for them, take every opportunity they give you to be tested.
My daughter is telling me to go....the PSA test seems fine it's the digit test I am concerned about. Maybe I need to man up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My daughter is telling me to go....the PSA test seems fine it's the digit test I am concerned about. Maybe I need to man up.

Yes, yes you do. It takes a few seconds, you will be facing the other way (so helpfully avoiding eye contact) and it doesn’t hurt. Could literally save your life. Do it......

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex

Must admit I was not looking forward to it. You can request a male doctor (they asked me) if it helps. It is in no way painful and I didn't find it nearly as embarrassing as my imagination had made it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here