Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone season-long loan to Galatasaray

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bit of a strange conclusion that he'll start with Murray and Maupay every game when after 4 he hasn't done that once yet. More likely is that Murray / Maupay rotate in the striking role, Trossard, March, Gross, Mooy, Bissouma, Izquierdo, Alzate, Jahanbakhsh all rotate the supporting attacking roles, and Connolly is used sparingly when needed.

We started 2017/18 with Murray, Ulloa and Hemed. Last season we started with Murray, Locadia and Andone. I actually feel more confident this season starting with Murray, Maupay and Connolly.

Not entirely sure we can talk about drawing conclusions based on what has already happened when two of the forward players who have featured quite prominently in the opening games of the season have both been booted out of the club.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I still have this FEELING Ali J will surprise us all and work his way into Potter's plans. If there was a player this summer who would have EASILY secured a loan move it was him. His last season in Holland was brilliant and there is no doubt someone there would have snapped him up if available on loan. At no point (unless I missed something) was he ever rumoured to be off.

I am very much willing to ignore last season. We took the top scorer from Holland and played him out of position....and then were surprised he wasn't playing that well. Yes, he wasn't very good but I refuse to believe a player who scored 21 goals the season before isn't good at football. Confidence is such a huge factor.

And, for all his frustrations last year, at no point was I upset with his attitude....he WAS trying but it was painful to watch a guy trying and trying but nothing working. Get the international break out the way, get him back (now way up the pecking order with Andone and Locadia gone, plus an ageing Murray) and he MAY well offer something.

Maybe I've had too much coffee this morning.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not entirely sure we can talk about drawing conclusions based on what has already happened when two of the forward players who have featured quite prominently in the opening games of the season have both been booted out of the club.

Seemingly the one conclusion we can draw from that is Ali will be last man standing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...but then he did start with Andone and Maupay against Saints ...so not out of the realms of possibilities that he would start with Murray and Maupay...or would like that option

Bit of a stretch to say that will happen every game though, when it hasn't happened once yet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Exactly, I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm countering saying a particular thing will happen every game even though it's not yet happened. Would I be surprised to see Murray and Maupay start together? No. Do I think it will happen every game, or even in the majority of games? No. :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry but I think I will trust in the billionaire fan who has the club's best interest at heart, the Coach who seems more than capable to make very good decisions and the rest of the very professional management team to know what they are doing.
Trust them to what? Be totally open about what happens behind closed doors? Well you're a bit green then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have to agree.. whether it was a no dickheads policy that got him pushed out or something else. It leaves us very very short up front.
It does feel that way.
So we start with Murray and Maupay, then Connelly replaces Murray on 65mins.
It's not quite that bad, as we do only need one of them on the pitch at a time, with the likes of Gross and Trossard as the wide forwards.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Gary Neville speaking to Stan Collymore on The Last Word podcast was interesting (yes, I know): ow.ly/rlS430pqilW

He said that when he went to Valencia, there were two players who didn't want to be there and everyone including Alex Ferguson advised him to get them out of the club. Instead he kept them and thought he could change them but now realises that everyone was right.

I'm not saying that Locadia or Andone wanted to leave, but the principle that certain players have to be shown the door is obviously one that Potter is not reluctant to follow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact that we are now just a Murray niggly thigh-strain away from a full-blown striker crisis means I'll be fitting the rubber sheets to the mattress tonight and for the forseeable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The fact that we are now just a Murray niggly thigh-strain away from a full-blown striker crisis means I'll be fitting the rubber sheets to the mattress tonight and for the forseeable.

I am going to go with Connelly being the next Michael Owen given the very cavalier way that we have dumped two forwards who seemed to be part of the plan in the first four games.

I’ll wait until he turns out to be another Jake Robinson before I fit the rubber sheets

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am going to go with Connelly being the next Michael Owen given the very cavalier way that we have dumped two forwards who seemed to be part of the plan in the first four games.

I’ll wait until he turns out to be another Jake Robinson before I fit the rubber sheets

Well, he'll need to be. Because when Murray is looking knackered and its not happening to Maupay, you look at our bench for some gamechanging firepower and its a case of "oh...errrrmm..."

Frankly, I cannot believe we've left ourselves like this. Florin must have shat in GP's Honeynut Loops or something.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

No, he's the next Wayne Rooney.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I get that we don't have - and likely wont get - much info on what went on behind the scenes with Andone. However, the most telling thing for me during this process was Paul Hayward's 'Leaving do to be held in a phone box" tweet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here